Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 79 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Check then that LMS is reporting the 192.168 address...
    I restarted LMS and it showed the local address. No luck. Then I changed the WIFI config on the echo from a guest network to the home network (in case it couldn't "see" 192.168.x.y). No luck. Then I had alexa ask mediaserver to discover players. It listed them and then said "Resuming LMS" and then the music started coming out.

So I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but it required a new player discovery to accept it.

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dperrigan View Post
    I restarted LMS and it showed the local address. No luck. Then I changed the WIFI config on the echo from a guest network to the home network (in case it couldn't "see" 192.168.x.y). No luck. Then I had alexa ask mediaserver to discover players. It listed them and then said "Resuming LMS" and then the music started coming out.

So I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but it required a new player discovery to accept it.

Thanks for your help,
    Dan
    Indeed. I should have mentioned that discovery is where the local LMS IP is queried and stored in the skill. Glad you now have it working.

Preparation for multiple-language support

I'm starting to re-factor the code for MediaServer so that it will be easier to extend support for other languages like German and French.

It would greatly reduce the amount of work involved if the brief response mode was removed and if the cardtext placement in the Alexa phone app was removed from the skill entirely.

I can see from the logs that less than 5% of users use brief mode, while I cannot check who browses their Alexa cards. My guess is that nobody would really miss these features if removed - or am I wrong?

Axios now in use as underlying http client in MediaServer

The underlying nodejs http client engine in MediaServer has been migrated to the Axios NPM library (the old 'request' library has been fully deprecated). Axios has much better error handling and assembles chunked responses itself, plus it handles JSON natively. Because the Axios engine uses the string 'axios' as its user-agent, Stream commands will now result in a player called 'axios from Alexa' in your LMS GUI instead of 'AlexaMediaPlayer from Alexa'. Other than that, you should not notice any changes other than slightly reduced latency on all commands.

I'll watch the logs closely the coming days to see if any bugs surface but in beta testing it was all rock solid.

Would this help in setting the user-agent header?
    https://github.com/axios/axios/issues/2560
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

[Announce] 'MediaServer' *certified* Alexa skill for LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster
    Would this help in setting the user-agent header?
    https://github.com/axios/axios/issues/2560
    I'm not unhappy with using 'axios' as the string. In LMS, the name appearing in the GUI is set in Slim::Web::HTTP.pm with

Code:
     $client->name( $agent . ' ' . string('FROM') . ' ' . $address )
    so no matter what I choose, the player will always have a name like 'XXX from Alexa'.

Maybe updating Slim::Web::HTTP.pm so that if the player name contains the string 'Alexa' the $client becomes 'Amazon Echo' would be more elegant.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-12-11 at 00:44.

Stream playlist not working

I can no longer get playlists from my library or Spotify to stream without a long delay on any of my Alex devices. Alexa confirms that it is playing them, but the audio does not play and "axios from Alexa" is not displayed as a player in the web interface until several minutes later. If I ask for an album, song, favourite, etc. to stream everything proceeds normally, as it does with another server, "My Media", on the same RPi4 using the Raspbian OS. I can't say for certain, but this problem seems to have arisen with the "mediaserver" to "axios" change in player name several days back. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Last edited by raglencross; 2020-12-12 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by raglencross View Post
    I can no longer get playlists from my library or Spotify to stream without a long delay on any of my Alex devices. Alexa confirms that it is playing them, but the audio does not play and "axios from Alexa" is not displayed as a player in the web interface until several minutes later. If I ask for an album, song, favourite, etc. to stream everything proceeds normally, as it does with another server, "My Media", on the same RPi4 using the Raspbian OS. I can't say for certain, but this problem seems to have arisen with the "mediaserver" to "axios" change in player name several days back. Thoughts/suggestions?
    I can see your attempts in the log and all looks normal from the skill's perspective (no errors). So it's down to either LMS not actually populating the stream for some reason, or the Echo not playing it. I just tried streaming a few playlists here and all worked fine. But they were local playlists, not Spotty (I don't use online music myself).

EDIT: The first playlist name that Alexa understood was 'ye summer rewind' which matched to 'Summer Rewind' and the second attempt she heard 'a' which (somehow!!) matched to 'Classic Rock' in your LMS library. Do you recognise these playlist names or is Alexa misunderstanding you? What was the exact syntax of the command that you tried that failed?

Let's try 3 things:

1. Stream a non-Spotty local playlist - does that produce audio?
    2. Play a Spotty playlist on a normal Squeezebox player using the "fetch" command. Does it produce audio?
    3. Try streaming the Spotty playlist to the Echo as you were doing. After you were told it's done (but hear no audio), say "Alexa, resume". Does that produce audio?

I don't use Spotty myself but something may have changed since 8.0 or 8.1 that I am not handling correctly. I don't suspect Axios tbh.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-12-12 at 15:13.

Thanks for the reply.

1. No audio from a local non-Spotty playlist.

2. Unfortunately, my only normal Squeezebox player, a SB3, is not working right now. As well as Echoes, I am using chromecast and airplay devices instead.

3. "Alexa resume" still does not produce any audio.

As I said in my OP, audio from playlists (Spotty and local) sometimes starts playing after several minutes delay. FYI, I am using LMS 8.0.0 - 1605892076.

Quote Originally Posted by raglencross View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

1. No audio from a local non-Spotty playlist.

2. Unfortunately, my only normal Squeezebox player, a SB3, is not working right now. As well as Echoes, I am using chromecast and airplay devices instead.

3. "Alexa resume" still does not produce any audio.

As I said in my OP, audio from playlists (Spotty and local) sometimes starts playing after several minutes delay. FYI, I am using LMS 8.0.0 - 1605892076.
    But regular albums/songs plus favorites work fine, so it's just a playlists thing?