Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
    I'm not suggesting that the player necessarily has to be permanently visible.
    I use Philippe's bridge for UPnP.
    I have it set so that the LMS player only appears when the UPnP device is switched on and has been detected.
    I know that play cannot be initiated from outside of the Alexa voice command/skill (not 100% true but near enough - e.g. some are using web commands to make Alexa perform text to speech functions).

However, today, the bridge maintains its own list of detected devices and they can be configured within the constraints of the plugin (not as an LMS player).
    Perhaps no per device configuration will be required within the bridge since so little can be adjusted from outside however, I was describing ways that things could work like the other bridges do it already.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster
    I'm not suggesting that the player necessarily has to be permanently visible.
    I use Philippe's bridge for UPnP.
    I have it set so that the LMS player only appears when the UPnP device is switched on and has been detected.
    I know that play cannot be initiated from outside of the Alexa voice command/skill (not 100% true but near enough - e.g. some are using web commands to make Alexa perform text to speech functions).

However, today, the bridge maintains its own list of detected devices and they can be configured within the constraints of the plugin (not as an LMS player).
    Perhaps no per device configuration will be required within the bridge since so little can be adjusted from outside however, I was describing ways that things could work like the other bridges do it already.
    Good that you mention the Loetzimmer TTS shell script documented at https://blog.loetzimmer.de/2017/10/a...hell-echo.html and also https://github.com/walthowd/ha-alexa-tts which I use extensively at home for TTS. It is capable of retrieving Echo names via its -a switch by performing a login to the user's Amazon account. The bridge could be configured to do likewise and retrieve such info for the LMS user outside the skill to configure the bridge.

so, reading your comments it seems to me that if you don't really want to have the players always there as they cannot be started from LMS, then using the stream.mp3 url and controlling flow right in Perl might be the fastest option.

I think the regulation can happen in a player class that calls Slim::Player::Source::nextChunk. That method is called by Slim::Player::Client which is the base class of all players. I probably can create a new player class (if we want thing to be isolated from core LMS).

But to start with, if you can run LMS from the Perl source that would be easier. I would then simply add an option to the URI like http://<lms>:9000/stream.mp3&throttle and put throttling directly inside LMS to see if it works for you
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

ok, having a better look at the code, the web player is Slim::Player::HTTP.pm and by just modifying this per attachment, you can throttle it. This file below is just a dirty hack and not a proper base (especially it does not send an initial burst, so the player has to do buffering itself, so starving will likely happen anyway, plus it applies to all web players...) but it gives you an idea where things can be. Let me know what you think.

You can look at Slim::Web::HTTP.pm (#784) to know when a client is created purely out of an HTTP request.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-10-14 at 23:00.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Thanks @philippe. I created a test install of logitechmediaserver_8.0.0_1602603940_amd64.deb on my Ubuntu box and replaced the file HTTP.pm in /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player by your modified file. In a test version of the skill, I added &throttle to the stream's URL.

What happens is that playback on the Echo starts and stops every ~10 seconds, probably due to rebuffering so the Echo does not like too much starvation. During the periods that music is actually playing, selecting next in iPeng does move to the next track quickly, so that's promising for sure !

If you PM me your Amazon account email then I can send you a beta invite to the test skill so that you can play with it yourself. I'll strip out the subscription code as that won't work for you in the en-CA Amazon store (assuming that's where you have your Amazon account).

The logs show that Amazon sends the skill the AudioPlayer.PlaybackNearlyFinished every ~23 seconds or so, which appears to be how long the buffer is lasting with an Echo Dot 3. Same for an Echo Show 2 so it does not seem to depend on the hardware of the Echo itself. The Show displays a dotted-line bar at the bottom of the screen to indicate buffering.

@philippe_44, did you ever get a chance to play with this subsequently?

Hi @philchillbill

Since it is now possible to configure your Echo device to understand English together with another language (like German + English), will there be a possibility to publish the skill in .de skill store? I would love to use the skill but don't want to switch the skill store. Maybe the new feature makes it possible to use MediaServer skill in English and another language for everything else.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ashceryth; 2020-11-19 at 09:00.
    Players: 2x Squeezebox Radio, 1x Raspberry Pi (piCorePlayer) with IQaudIO DigiAMP+ and JBL Control One Speakers, 1x Raspberry Pi (piCorePlayer) with touch screen (HDMI to AV Receiver), 1x Riva Arena (via Airplay)

Quote Originally Posted by ashceryth View Post
    Hi @philchillbill

Since it is now possible to configure your Echo device to understand English together with another language (like German + English), will there be a possibility to publish the skill in .de skill store? I would love to use the skill but don't want to switch the skill store. Maybe the new feature makes it possible to use MediaServer skill in English and another language for everything else.

Thanks!
    The problem with not being allowed by Amazon in the DE store is that skills with subscriptions must be in the native language of the store. Believe me, I'd love to publish it in all the Amazon stores globally but they have rules preventing this. I cannot even publish to the Canadian store despite supporting English. If they ever relax this policy I will immediately publish. What Amazon says is:

"Customers can choose the language they want to use for their devices, and they aren't constrained by their location when choosing the language. For example, a customer that uses a .de account can choose to use a different language from German, such as English (UK), for their Alexa-enabled devices. However, changing the language doesn't affect the skills catalog available to the .de account in the skills store. Therefore, to make a skill available to customers who use .de accounts, you must include a German version of the skill in the skills store."
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-11-19 at 09:30.

I set up ngrok updater ages ago and have had no need to reboot the server since then. What steps do I need to take after a reboot to get both the skills up and running again?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk