Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 57 of 119 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Back-to-back commands

I've been testing a possibility to provide back-to-back commands without having to say 'Alexa, ask MediaServer to...' before each and every command. It works very well. The idea is that you issue the commands in-session rather than one-shot. So when you first ask 'Alexa, open Media Server', after she says 'Say a Media Server command:' she will continually tack on ['What else?', 'Any other command?', 'Anything else?'] until you say 'no' (or stop, cancel, shut-up, never mind, forget it, that's it). This means you could e.g. say:

Alexa, open Media Server
    Play some Deep House
    Enable shuffle
    Disable repeat
    What's playing?
    Duration
    No --> ends session

without repeating either 'Alexa' or 'MediaServer' during the session.

Is this feature desirable and should I go live with it? The only disadvantage is that people who do all their commands in-session will now have to answer with a 'no' after every MediaServer response from Alexa.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-08-18 at 04:18.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    I've been testing a possibility to provide back-to-back commands without having to say 'Alexa, ask MediaServer to...' before each and every command. It works very well. The idea is that you issue the commands in-session rather than one-shot. So when you first ask 'Alexa, open Media Server', after she says 'Say a Media Server command:' she will continually tack on ['What else?', 'Any other command?', 'Anything else?'] until you say 'no'. This means you could e.g. say:

Alexa, open Media Server
    Play some Deep House
    Enable shuffle
    Disable repeat
    What's playing?
    Duration
    No --> ends session

without repeating either 'Alexa' or 'MediaServer' during the session.

Is this feature desirable and should I go live with it? The only disadvantage is that people who do all their commands in-session will now have to answer with a 'no' after every MediaServer response from Alexa.
    Phil,
    Could be useful, for example, asking mediaserver to play an album, and then increasing volume, or skipping a track etc all in one session.

Just so I understand how this would work, if I said " Ask mediaserver to play the album Kind of Blue by Miles Davis", with this feature would she then start playing the album and then ask "Anything Else?".

If I didn't reply (ie. I didn't say "no" or issue another command, what happens then, is there a timeout period? What I'm really asking is do I really have to say "no" or will it time out?
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    Phil,
    Just so I understand how this would work, if I said " Ask mediaserver to play the album Kind of Blue by Miles Davis", with this feature would she then start playing the album and then ask "Anything Else?".
    If I didn't reply (ie. I didn't say "no" or issue another command, what happens then, is there a timeout period? What I'm really asking is do I really have to say "no" or will it time out?
    Yes, you understood correctly, but the 'anything else?' (as proposed) would not happen for a one shot - you'd have to open the skill first. If you ignored the 'Anything else?' she would ask it again (I cannot avoid that) and just beep at you when you ignore the second prompt (indicating that the session is closed). So you can ignore her. All this while the blue ring would be lit so you know she still expects an answer. For clarity: When answering in the affirmative, you don't say first yes and then the command, it's either a bare command or one of no/cancel/shut-up/ignore to drop the session.

I could add a command to select whether you want this feature enabled or disabled (and then it would also work for one-shots) but then recertification would be needed because that's a change to the voice model. So in this way, you stick to one-shots for one-off commands and use sessions when you know you want to issue back-to-back commands.

I'd say go for it and see how people react, seems like it could be pretty useful to me, but the test is using it.
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

This looks useful to me as long as I can continue to use single commands (e.g. Ask mediaserver to play "album") along with "Open mediaserver", if it is my intention to issue multiple commands. You might want to run a poll to see what people think.

From my perspective this would be brilliant. Keep the full commands as one-shot, but use the open mode to support multiple requests. Thanks for listening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back-to-back commands live

Ok, V3.1 with rapid-fire is now live

Please let me know what you think of it. It takes a little getting used to and it's natural to hum and haw when put on the spot to issue the next command at Alexa's pacing rather than yours. But after a few trial sessions it's very natural. I should have done this from the outset, because in reality you often want to do a few things back-to-back like play, set volume, change shuffle.

There's a new section in the online docs at https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...ml#section-1-5. Please also let me know if that's clear enough.

Enjoy!

EDIT: p.s. some commands will always end a session when issued, e.g. assume, rename, earshot, verbosity, any Stream command, any command requiring a 'Yes' response, any communication-error responses. The main intent of the open-session is to issue music-related commands back-to-back, not skill housekeeping.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-08-18 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Ok, V3.1 with rapid-fire is now live

Please let me know what you think of it..
    This seems to work really well and I can see it being very useful. My only very minor comment would be that I'm not 100% convinced of the male voice in-session as it seems to break the flow a little (meaning I started the chat with Alexa, now someone else has butted in!), but I'll probably get used to it.

Thanks for your ongoing work.

Good news. PlayFavorite, PlayPlaylist and AddToPlaylist now work again with the assumed player. You cannot currently specify a different player in the command itself but that will be rectified in an upcoming re-certification. So it's always the assumed player (for now) if defined. If not defined, the elicited player can be any of your players.

Support for Spotty playlists and podcasts is being moved into two dedicated intents, meaning that the '...via Spotty' construct will no longer work. The new intents will not be available until certification. Apologies for any inconvenience in the meanwhile.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-08-20 at 10:29.

[Announce] 'MediaServer' *certified* Alexa skill for LMS

A freshly-certified version of the skill is now live with some voice-model changes (the online A-Z is updated). These include two new dedicated Spotty commands using fetch as keyword instead of play/load.

For playlists:
    "fetch a playlist on the {Player}"
    "fetch my {Playlist} playlist"

For podcasts:
    "fetch a podcast on the {Player}"
    "fetch my {Podcast} podcast"

Also, the promised player-specification capability has been added to PlayPlaylist, PlayFavorite and AddToPlaylist for when a non-assumed player is to be targeted:

"play my {Playlist} playlist"
    "play a playlist on {Player} player"
    "play my {Favorite} favorite"
    "play a favorite on {Player} player"
    "add the {Player} track to a playlist"
    "add this to {Playlist}"

Note that with all these commands, you cannot specify both a player and a playlist/favorite in the same utterance. If you target the assumed player, just mention the playlist/favorite name. If you want a non-assumed player, just mention the player and Alexa will elicit the playlist/favorite. This is because {Favorite|Playlist|Podcast} use a catch-all slot-type called AMAZON.SearchQuery and itĺs the only slot allowed in each utterance.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-08-22 at 22:28.