Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Yes - ngrok can be run on RPi
    ... but not, as far as I know, on PcP (?)
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    ... but not, as far as I know, on PcP (?)
    I don't use ngrok now - but I am pretty sure that when I first tried this skill I ran ngrok on my pCP LMS server.

The process to get it would be something like ...
    find the download URL from https://ngrok.com/download (Linux (ARM))
    wget thatURL
    unzip thedownloadedfile
    then follow the rest of the instructions on the smartskills.tech site

The is the usual complication of making sure that it (and related scripts) is included in the pCP file list for backup (so that it is retained after boot).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I don't use ngrok now - but I am pretty sure that when I first tried this skill I ran ngrok on my pCP LMS server.

The process to get it would be something like ...
    find the download URL from https://ngrok.com/download (Linux (ARM))
    wget thatURL
    unzip thedownloadedfile
    then follow the rest of the instructions on the smartskills.tech site

The is the usual complication of making sure that it (and related scripts) is included in the pCP file list for backup (so that it is retained after boot).
    Thanks.
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I refactored a lot of the code for MediaServer and have tweaked a few of the error messages and added some new ones. I noticed a lot lately that Alexa was interpreting '2' as 'to' so I've added a replacement where the context makes sense. Overall, things should be noticeably faster too.

Please let me know if you uncover any issues.

[Announce] 'MediaServer' *certified* Alexa skill for LMS

FYI, I've been testing a beta with 13 new intents that address all the feature requests (I think) made by the community in recent months. It will soon be submitted to Amazon for certification but I wanted to give a heads up. The possibilities include:

* Play or Stream a specific version of a song from a named album. The current 'play song XXX by YYY' plays all versions in your library so if you have a lot of live albums you might get 20-30 hits. This narrows it down to a specific album hit only.
    * Append a named song or songs to the end of the now-playing playlist. Can be either all versions of the song or a version from a specific album.
    * Insert a named song or songs to play next within the current now-playing playlist.
    * Clear the current playlist.
    * Query what alarms exist for a particular player.
    * Enable or Cancel an existing alarm.
    * Modify an existing alarm by changing its set-time and also enabling it if it was disabled. "Alexa, ask MediaServer to change my 07:30 alarm to 08:00"

Any other new features that I might have missed and could potentially include in the certification submission?
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-07-18 at 07:50.

Hi there. Only just found time to start using this, and really enjoying what I'm finding so far. Wanted to mention a couple of things in the hope that there are easy fixes or workarounds.

1 - if I try to stream a track to an Echo, it starts at some random point in the middle of the song. This happens with both .mp3 and .flac files.

2 - I have several large playlists, so normally use the excellent Dynamic Playlists plug-in. I then set these as favourites in folders (by person). So far I have not managed to load/play any of these. Are there any compatibility issues?

The other thing I would really like is a shortcut for saying "Alexa ask Media Server to..." repeatedly, but that's probably wishful thinking for now at least. :-)

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arressen View Post
    Hi there. Only just found time to start using this, and really enjoying what I'm finding so far. Wanted to mention a couple of things in the hope that there are easy fixes or workarounds.

1 - if I try to stream a track to an Echo, it starts at some random point in the middle of the song. This happens with both .mp3 and .flac files.

2 - I have several large playlists, so normally use the excellent Dynamic Playlists plug-in. I then set these as favourites in folders (by person). So far I have not managed to load/play any of these. Are there any compatibility issues?

The other thing I would really like is a shortcut for saying "Alexa ask Media Server to..." repeatedly, but that's probably wishful thinking for now at least. :-)
    That's quite strange and has not been reported before. The skill is not in the loop for stream-to-echo, other than starting up a 'stream.mp3' stream on your LMS with the desired file playing, and telling your Echo how to access that stream on your local network. Then the skill exits and your Echo feeds itself on LMS data until either the stream stops or you issue a different command. What version of LMS are you on? You can always say "Alexa, resume" to clear the Echo's buffer and re-align playback but that should not theoretically be necessary as it's done by the skill at handoff anyway.

The way querying favorites works in LMS is very different to how e.g. albums/songs/genres or playlists work. The only way to retrieve your favorites is to parse a menu structure recursively which takes quite a bit of time with large lists. All skills have a max of 8 sec to respond to Alexa before Amazon gives up. In 8 sec you can retrieve (from LMS) about 12K songs, for example, but at most a few tens of favorites. So this is a limitation of the LMS architecture, I'm afraid. Not having nested favorites certainly helps. Why are these playlists not playable as regular playlists via the 'Alexa, ask MediaServer to load my XXX playlist' command? That command family can handle unlimited playlists. Check the online docs for the skill.

The invocation name is required for custom skills so there's no way out of that. Also, skills must have two words in their invocation name - we are lucky that Alexa hears 'MediaServer' as 'Media Server' or invocation would be even more cumbersome

New features in submission

*Teaser*: Despite the lack of feedback on my recent post regarding new feature suggestions, I've added a few more commands to bring the skill up to a whopping 111 intents (up from 95). Some examples of the new possibilities:

Play the track Run Like Hell from the album Pulse
    Play the Live & Dangerous rendition of The Boys are Back in Town

Enqueue the album Erotica by Madonna
    Append Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel
    Add Mr. Blue Sky by ELO to this playlist
    Insert Cradle of Love from the album Charmed Life

Append High Hopes from the album The Division Bell
    Add Legs from the album Eliminator

What Paul Young albums do I have?
    What Sheryl Crow singles do I have?
    What genres do I have?
    What playlists do I have?

List the songs on the album Rumors by Fleetwood Mac
    List albums with the song Roxanne by the Police

What alarms do I have on the bedroom player?
    Enable my 7 AM alarm
    Cancel my 7:30 AM alarm
    Change my 7 AM alarm to 8:30 AM

Stream the track Sledgehammer from the album So
    Stream the Plastic Letters rendition of Denis

This is now being submitted for certification - I'll announce when/if Amazon approves everything. Can be 2 weeks...

Hi there. My sincere apologies for not getting back sooner - I was expecting to get a notification, but apparently didn't get one. I'll check why that's not happening.

I'll do some more playing with streaming to Alexa based on what you've said and done. However the Favourites problem is more of a concern right now.

I use the dynamic playlists approach simply because some of my playlists are quite large, and therefore take time to load. I've run up against the time-out limit several times already, although it does at least start eventually so it's less of an issue.

However, there is also a limit on the number of tracks that can be loaded, which means that typically it only ever loads the first subset of tracks from the list, and I never hear the later tracks. I could change the number of tracks being loaded, but that also impacts the time before LMS gets to play the first track, so more timeouts.

Dynamic playlists eliminates all of that by randomly selecting a small subset of tracks from the list, and then adding more tracks to the list as required. Very quick to start playing the first track, keeps the current playlist small, and consumes fewer resources to keep going through a long list.

Our favourites hierarchy is to some extent a legacy issue due to the way I previously implemented remote controllers on players (long story, won't bore you with it). I'll reduce it back to a flat list in the next couple of days and try again.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by arressen View Post
    Hi there. My sincere apologies for not getting back sooner - I was expecting to get a notification, but apparently didn't get one. I'll check why that's not happening.

I'll do some more playing with streaming to Alexa based on what you've said and done. However the Favourites problem is more of a concern right now.

I use the dynamic playlists approach simply because some of my playlists are quite large, and therefore take time to load. I've run up against the time-out limit several times already, although it does at least start eventually so it's less of an issue.

However, there is also a limit on the number of tracks that can be loaded, which means that typically it only ever loads the first subset of tracks from the list, and I never hear the later tracks. I could change the number of tracks being loaded, but that also impacts the time before LMS gets to play the first track, so more timeouts.

Dynamic playlists eliminates all of that by randomly selecting a small subset of tracks from the list, and then adding more tracks to the list as required. Very quick to start playing the first track, keeps the current playlist small, and consumes fewer resources to keep going through a long list.

Our favourites hierarchy is to some extent a legacy issue due to the way I previously implemented remote controllers on players (long story, won't bore you with it). I'll reduce it back to a flat list in the next couple of days and try again.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Iĺll take a look at dynamic playlists and see what I can do to handle them. Never used them myself before