Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Well, translating the intents is only half the problem. The other issue is that a German speaking Alexa expects everything to be in German, and that includes your song and album names. You’ll have very mixed success asking for e.g. The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, while requesting e.g. Liebe is für alle da, von Rammstein will work fine.

Same for French, Spanish, etc and same with Siri and Google Home too. Voice Assistants don't work well when you mix two languages in one sentence and music skills are the one category where that would happen a lot.
    Interesting... Maybe, that has changed? I just issued the following command to my German speaking Alexa: "Alexa, spiele The Dark Side of the Moon von Pink Floyd.". Alexa started the album on my Echo Dot immediately. IMO, this means that Alexa can handle mixed commands. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEye View Post
    Interesting... Maybe, that has changed? I just issued the following command to my German speaking Alexa: "Alexa, spiele The Dark Side of the Moon von Pink Floyd.". Alexa started the album on my Echo Dot immediately. IMO, this means that Alexa can handle mixed commands. Am I wrong?
    To what service or skill did you issue the command? Spotify or Amazon likely work with a big music catalog definition that works across languages. That does not imply that a regular skill can do that easily.

Hi,

I am using ngrok for the proxy on a connected Windows machine, pointing to my LMS, which is on a Synology NAS. I have followed all the steps in the smartskills.tech page up to the point of successfully testing the browser, enabling mediaserver and account linking the skill. The last step of actually using it with my Echo Dot, which I tried by saying "Alexa ask Mediaserver what is playing", I get this response:

"Welcome to Mediaserver, so that the skill knows the path to your LMS server, please complete the account linking process where you will enter the connectivity details on a special landing page.."

Note, I have successfully done this already and have disabled and re-enabled it again to be on the safe side. Ngrok appears to be running as it says session on line.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?

Quote Originally Posted by DavJon View Post
    Hi,

I am using ngrok for the proxy on a connected Windows machine, pointing to my LMS, which is on a Synology NAS. I have followed all the steps in the smartskills.tech page up to the point of successfully testing the browser, enabling mediaserver and account linking the skill. The last step of actually using it with my Echo Dot, which I tried by saying "Alexa ask Mediaserver what is playing", I get this response:

"Welcome to Mediaserver, so that the skill knows the path to your LMS server, please complete the account linking process where you will enter the connectivity details on a special landing page.."

Note, I have successfully done this already and have disabled and re-enabled it again to be on the safe side. Ngrok appears to be running as it says session on line.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?
    In the logs, I do see some people who have enabled the skill but not linked it (that regularly occurs as people chicken out when they learn they actually have to setup something). Are you on the GB or US Amazon ARN? Did you try and link from a phone or PC/Mac? After entering the details and Validating (button still blue), did you press Submit when it became green and were you shown the redirect page that your skill has been successfully linked? Otherwise all you did was verify that you had usable setup parameters but did not actually submit them - it's a 2-stage process.

In the logs, I do see some people who have enabled the skill but not linked it (that regularly occurs as people chicken out when they learn they actually have to setup something). Are you on the GB or US Amazon ARN? Did you try and link from a phone or PC/Mac? After entering the details and Validating (button still blue), did you press Submit when it became green and were you shown the redirect page that your skill has been successfully linked? Otherwise all you did was verify that you had usable setup parameters but did not actually submit them - it's a 2-stage process.
    I am using the PC version of the Alexa app. When I link the account, it takes me to the landing page, where I entered the ngrok path, click the blue button, and it then says:

your LMS server (v7.9.1) responded correctly

There is now a green button saying submit. I clicked it and it takes me to a new screen that says:

MediaServer has been successfully linked.

However, the echo repeats the same message earlier, indicating the account liking isn't done. I am in the US.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by DavJon View Post
    I am using the PC version of the Alexa app. When I link the account, it takes me to the landing page, where I entered the ngrok path, click the blue button, and it then says:

your LMS server (v7.9.1) responded correctly

There is now a green button saying submit. I clicked it and it takes me to a new screen that says:

MediaServer has been successfully linked.

However, the echo repeats the same message earlier, indicating the account liking isn't done. I am in the US.

Thanks for your help.
    I just checked in the us-east-1 logs and there are zero errors. I can see you getting the message that you need to link, but I can also see that you do not have an oauth token in the skill header (meaning it really is NOT linked). This looks like an Amazon glitch (they happen from time to time). Try deleting the skill. logging out of your Alexa account, logging back in and then enabling/linking again.

I just checked in the us-east-1 logs and there are zero errors. I can see you getting the message that you need to link, but I can also see that you do not have an oauth token in the skill header (meaning it really is NOT linked). This looks like an Amazon glitch (they happen from time to time). Try deleting the skill. logging out of your Alexa account, logging back in and then enabling/linking again.
    I found a solution. I had to log off the Alexa app and re log in as my wife, who evidently is the primary user. We have a Amazon household account and I must be a secondary user. Then I repeated the process and it now works.

BTW, I also discovered my second Echo Dot in my kid's room was not working and it was because I had Free Time turned on. Once I turned this off, I can now use Mediaserver with both Echo Dots.

Thanks for the help!

Glad you sorted it out. I’ll add those tips to the docs because they are the kind of issues that might crop up for others.

Glad you sorted it out. I’ll add those tips to the docs because they are the kind of issues that might crop up for others.
    One additional question: do you know if ngrok can be run on a Raspberry Pi I currently have set up as a picoreplayer and running 24/7? The concern is that it is wireless. If this is not an issue, I would have the RPi point to my NAS where LMS is running. This would be preferable to having my Intel NUC running 24/7.

Thanks,

Yes - ngrok can be run on RPi
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland