Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Is there a plan to publish this skill in Australia (AU)?

Arrikhan

Quote Originally Posted by arrikhan View Post
    Is there a plan to publish this skill in Australia (AU)?

Arrikhan
    Skills with subscriptions cannot currently be published in AU. As soon as Amazon lifts that restriction, it will be submitted there (same for Canada and India).

Radio Paradise FLAC streams

I can't "stream favorite" Radio Paradise Flack streams to my echoes, but I am able to "play" the FLAC streams to LMS players such as a SB3 and various chromcast devices which handle FLAC natively. I am able to stream FLAC albums to the echoes which are shown in the web GUI to be transcoded to MP3 by LMS because it is set up to do so (LAME installed). It appears that LMS is not transcoding the Radio Paradise FLAC streams to MP3 for the echoes, but is doing so for music files in my library. I can of course switch to the Radio Paridise MP3 streams, but the FLAC ones do sound better. Has anyone else experienced this problem and perhaps have come up with a solution?

Synology NAS

For those who have a DS416play, you can set up a reverse proxy on the NAS and don't need a separate box. Got it working this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
    For those who have a DS416play, you can set up a reverse proxy on the NAS and don't need a separate box. Got it working this morning.
    Good to hear. Is that a DSM feature or did you install a package?

It's a DSM feature.

Sorry if my questions are stupid but...

Hi Phil,

I've read some parts of this thread and the web page itself (mediaserver.smartskills.tech) but somehow I'm not sure if I have understood properly the skill purpose:

1. The main skill goal is to add voice commands to whatever we do in a Squeezebox to listen at our hifi system speakers, right? Or to bring access to our flac collection to playback on an echo smartspeaker? (hopefully the first, since most Amazon echoes have poor speakers and lousy analog mic or bluetooth outputs).
    2. If the first is true, will it also let me order (voice command) to play a spotify stream in squeezebox to my hifi as well?
    3. If second is also true: when Spotify streaming, do I have to keep a LM Server running in an external computer? Or can I just use an internal LMS in Squeeze Touch instead (or none), so I can go light, when this is the scenario?
    4. Is there any video around showing the process? I Haven't found in youtube or others, so I got confused.. eheh..

Thanks in advance! And sorry if my questions are stupid!
    Vitor
    Last edited by vitoruch; 2020-06-06 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by vitoruch View Post
    Hi Phil,
    1. The main skill goal is to add voice commands to whatever we do in a Squeezebox to listen at our hifi system speakers, right? Or to bring access to our flac collection to playback on an echo smartspeaker? (hopefully the first, since most Amazon echoes have poor speakers and lousy analog mic or bluetooth outputs).
    2. If the first is true, will it also let me order (voice command) to play a spotify stream in squeezebox to my hifi as well?
    3. If second is also true: when Spotify streaming, do I have to keep a LM Server running in an external computer? Or can I just use an internal LMS in Squeeze Touch instead (or none), so I can go light, when this is the scenario?
    4. Is there any video around showing the process? I Haven't found in youtube or others, so I got confused.. eheh..
    Vitor
    @Vitor, the main goal of the skill is to control an LMS server by voice commands rather than control a Squeezebox player by voice - hope you understand the difference. The very first post in this thread gives a long list of the kinds of commands possible. MediaServer also allows you to play any audio sourced from LMS on Echo sink devices (currently, this is always transcoded to MP3). So it addresses both of the goals you mentioned (by the way, the Echo's mic and BT quality are totally irrelevant here).

If what you mainly want to do is control Spotify by voice, there already is a Spotify skill for that. A squeezebox connected to LMS can fulfill the role of a Spotify Connect device so if that's how you want to set things up then the Spotify skill is a better bet. If you are instead using the Spotty plugin for LMS then the MediaServer skill will allow you to load playlists by voice but the functionality is otherwise limited.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    @Vitor, the main goal of the skill is to control an LMS server by voice commands rather than control a Squeezebox player by voice - hope you understand the difference. The very first post in this thread gives a long list of the kinds of commands possible. MediaServer also allows you to play any audio sourced from LMS on Echo sink devices (currently, this is always transcoded to MP3). So it addresses both of the goals you mentioned (by the way, the Echo's mic and BT quality are totally irrelevant here).

If what you mainly want to do is control Spotify by voice, there already is a Spotify skill for that. A squeezebox connected to LMS can fulfill the role of a Spotify Connect device so if that's how you want to set things up then the Spotify skill is a better bet. If you are instead using the Spotty plugin for LMS then the MediaServer skill will allow you to load playlists by voice but the functionality is otherwise limited.
    Wow, thanks a lot for the wonderful clarification, Phil!

Version 2.4 now available

New versions of both the MediaServer and LMS-lite skills are now live with two major enhancements:

* ngrok users on the free plan can now autoupdate tunnel details without having to relink the skill(s)
    * Multiple LMS instances can now be linked to the skill(s) under a single Amazon account and single subscription

The online documentation at https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech/setuphelp.html has been extensively rewritten - finally, secure external access for LMS is set and forget.

In a nutshell, when you link from now on, you will be presented with a uuid like d84fb223c34002944701a9a70e5e82b65e01cda21b6e8914 which you copy into a small (downloadable) python or perl script that is run as part of your ngrok systemd service. That script queries your ngrok :4040 dashboard under the hood and pushes the (new) tunnel details off to the cloud. A lot of attention was paid to security during development/testing and the code was written for minimum latency impact.

The multiple servers feature can be useful for people with holiday homes or for those who stay in a flat during the work-week but go home at the weekends. It can also be used for mixed control of e.g. stable-release/nightly-release LMS servers while you beta-test. The only requirement is that there are no repeated player names across your server instances.

Thanks to those who participated in the beta testing. Let me know if there are any bugs / corner-cases or if the documentation is not clear on anything.

Enjoy !