Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's a 1TB WD My Passport drive NTFS format. I had previously run the usual diagnostics on this drive and nothing unusual showed up. Just now however, simply deleting the files that won't read and replacing them with the original from the PC, bingo, picore will pick them up in Music Folder. But I had tried that before and it hadn't worked previously despite numerous attempts. It does sound a bit like an HDD issue do you think?

1) ntfs is a windows file system, support in linux is pretty good, but not perfect. I always recommend a native linux file system. (ext3)
    2) How are you adding the files, if you remove the drive, make sure you shutdown your pCP system first.....
    3) Perhaps look into enabling samba on pCP to allow you to copy files to your pCP system.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    1) ntfs is a windows file system, support in linux is pretty good, but not perfect. I always recommend a native linux file system. (ext3)
    2) How are you adding the files, if you remove the drive, make sure you shutdown your pCP system first.....
    3) Perhaps look into enabling samba on pCP to allow you to copy files to your pCP system.
    Regarding 2 and 3. Yes I once made the mistake of not shutting down, but always close pCP first now. I have samba installed and use it for all individual file changes.

Regarding point 1, I think I will try reformatting the disk as you suggest and see if that makes the difference. Thanks for advice

They were merely suggestions. If itĺs working, it might have corrected itself, and no reason to change unless problems continue.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

solved!

to anyone else who has had the same problem, it appears to be solved following Paul's later suggestion above.

I reformatted the NTFS drive to ext 4 using Mini Tool Partition Wizard Win10, added Music and Playlist folders with Paragon's free version of Linux file systems for windows, then reconnected the drive to pCP. Over a day or so I copied all music files to the drive via SAMBA. There is now complete concordance between tracks registered on LMS (pCP) and LMS (PC). All previously rogue tracks play fine. The pCP is also noticeably snappier in its response.

Thanks for help - much appreciated!

J