Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

picore player won't play certain files - help please if possible

Hi, I am not Linux-savvy but was delighted to get picore player v5.0.0 running seemingly perfectly on a new raspberry Pi, running LMS 7.9.2. Music source is entirely flac files on a removable USB powered hard drive. All seemed great - Boom, Classic, Touch all synchronising, speedy on/off, no network issues. Then I realised some folders didn't seem to exist. Example, searched for Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack and it wasn't there. On Music Folder, the Artist and Album title comes up the but the folder is reported as empty. If I move the HDD to the PC, the folder contains all the tracks, which play fine on media monkey. Running LMS on the PC (7.9.2) discovers the folder and reads the tracks without a problem.

I estimate there are about 400 tracks that LMS on the picoreplayer is not playing but it is very hard to say. Needless to say I have tried deleting and re-copying this folder and others, and rescanning, but to no avail. They just don't get recognised.

I am baffled as to why just a small number of entire albums won't play, yet will on the same LMS version on the PC. Any help would be gratefully received as for so many other reasons the PCP is brilliant. Thanks

It sounds like you might have a permissions problem.
    in a command shell try running ( in your music folder )
    ls -l
    and see if there's any difference on the ones that don't work.

HTH
    richard

Quote Originally Posted by richardsk View Post
    It sounds like you might have a permissions problem.
    in a command shell try running ( in your music folder )
    ls -l
    and see if there's any difference on the ones that don't work.

HTH
    richard
    Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. Would you be able to describe just how I would do that? Is this something I would add via the tweaks page on the picore player, or direct to the music folder on the HDD? Sorry about my computer illiteracy!

Thanks, Jonathan

Hi,
    I don't use picore, so I'm not what you can do from there.
    But, if you log on to the rPi, then you can check the permissions in your music directory.

There is a button on the pCP web pages, right where you mount the usb drive. ôSet write permissionö. The should make sure the entire drive has correct permissions. If you move the drive back and forth between pcp and your windows machine, you may have to repeat.

Otherwise what is the drive format? Are there special characters in the file names.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    There is a button on the pCP web pages, right where you mount the usb drive. ôSet write permissionö. The should make sure the entire drive has correct permissions. If you move the drive back and forth between pcp and your windows machine, you may have to repeat.

Otherwise what is the drive format? Are there special characters in the file names.
    Paul, you've solved it! The files all had "&" in. Welcome back, Iggy & The Stooges, Jesus & Mary Chain, Martha & The Vandellasůů.! Very grateful

Is it easy to rename those files, or do we need to sort out utf8 encoding

Quote Originally Posted by plasticator2 View Post
    Paul, you've solved it! The files all had "&" in. Welcome back, Iggy & The Stooges, Jesus & Mary Chain, Martha & The Vandellas…….! Very grateful
    I don't have any problems with "&" in file names or tags. But mine are UTF16. You can easily convert all your UTF8 tags and names to UTF16 with a couple of mouse clicks using mp3tag.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Paul, I spoke too soon. Replacing the "&" with "and" worked fine for the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack so I assumed that was the answer. But looking through the database, there are plenty of other files with & in and indeed other special characters like delta that work just fine. I have the same database on screen on LMS(picore) - 14288 songs on 2076 albums and LMS (PC) - 14718 songs on 2126 albums. Starting on Artists - A, there are two missing on the picore. Andrew Meller doesn't show up (whereas Andrew Meller & Depth Perception does show), and Anthony Parasole doesn't show up. They become visible on Music Folder, artist and album, but clicking album yields empty. Looking at the properties for the Andrew Meller track, I can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Now it's even more baffling. Garym, thanks for input, doesn't look like just a tagging issue unfortunately

Back to the question above, how is the hard disk formatted?