Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    3 classic Units

    Quote Originally Posted by pishta View Post
    I can assist: hot air rework, solder paste reflow, SMD cap replacement, spare VFD, SMD component replacement. So. Cal. USA.
    Peter, send me a PM about your fall victim. Sounds fixeable.
    I have 3 classic units with blank displays and dim leds. I would like to get them repaired. I am in Pasadena CA. Where can I get help?

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,694
    Quote Originally Posted by thsobota View Post
    I have 3 classic units with blank displays and dim leds. I would like to get them repaired. I am in Pasadena CA. Where can I get help?
    Have you tried a PSU that you know for sure works? If you did, the best fixer is Joe but he is in Germany. If you are willing to send these there, he is the best option IMHO. Iím in Canada and I do free fixes from time to time to help this community, but with no guarantee
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,090
    Quote Originally Posted by thsobota View Post
    I have 3 classic units with blank displays and dim leds. I would like to get them repaired. I am in Pasadena CA. Where can I get help?
    Two common faults that result in SB3/Classic blank display (i) PSU and (ii) failed or badly seated WLAN card.

    A failed or badly seated WLAN can stop a player even if WLAN is not being used. You can test by removing WLAN card - only require a torx screwdriver and some care..
    https://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    197

    New lamps for old...

    Maybe a slight tangent from the original topic, but...
    I have four original, white SB3s which I am very attached to, partly due to their near-perfect industrial design, an early project by Fred Bould who rivals the better-known Jony Ive and Dieter Rams for elegant, simple product design.

    I've replaced the failed PSU on one (trivial..) and moved another with a failed analogue audio channel to digital out. However it sounds like they won't soldier on forever.

    So.. has anyone attempted to strip out the entire internals and replace with something like a Pi zero + mini-DAC (something like a HiFiberry DAC+ Zero)?? I haven't even opened up any of mine to see how much room is available, and the obvious challenge would be how to either replace the display (with what?) or maybe drive the existing one (how?).
    Bit of a long-shot, but it seems like a real shame to dump what must be a growing pile of dead SB3s into e-waste, and if there was a reasonably straightforward way to replace the internals then I'm sure there would be some interest?
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,694

    Growing mass of failing SB3 (Classic)

    Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    Maybe a slight tangent from the original topic, but...
    I have four original, white SB3s which I am very attached to, partly due to their near-perfect industrial design, an early project by Fred Bould who rivals the better-known Jony Ive and Dieter Rams for elegant, simple product design.

    I've replaced the failed PSU on one (trivial..) and moved another with a failed analogue audio channel to digital out. However it sounds like they won't soldier on forever.

    So.. has anyone attempted to strip out the entire internals and replace with something like a Pi zero + mini-DAC (something like a HiFiberry DAC+ Zero)?? I haven't even opened up any of mine to see how much room is available, and the obvious challenge would be how to either replace the display (with what?) or maybe drive the existing one (how?).
    Bit of a long-shot, but it seems like a real shame to dump what must be a growing pile of dead SB3s into e-waste, and if there was a reasonably straightforward way to replace the internals then I'm sure there would be some interest?
    Usually they can be fixed by changing capacitors (thatís likely the case in your example with failed analogue audio).

    Now, there is a lot of room inside a SB classic, likely enough to fit a Pi or my SqueezeAMP. You could also use a ESP32-A1S module and easily redo a full board around that. Ethernet might be difficult, though.

    The A1S design would be very simple as that module already has a DAC and an headset/line out. You just need a 5V to 3.3V regulator, not even a step down. Our SqueezeESP32 software I think give you all you want: display, IR and SPDIF.

    I donít have time for such project but somebody with simple CAD experience can do it easily.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-12-09 at 02:52.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Usually they can be fixed by changing capacitors (that’s likely the case in your example with failed analogue audio).

    Now, there is a lot of room inside a SB classic, likely enough to fit a Pi or my SqueezeAMP. You could also use a ESP32-A1S module and easily redo a full board around that. Ethernet might be difficult, though.

    The A1S design would be very simple as that module already has a DAC and an headset/line out. You just need a 5V to 3.3V regulator, not even a step down. Our SqueezeESP32 software I think give you all you want: display, IR and SPDIF.

    I don’t have time for such project but somebody with simple CAD experience can do it easily.
    Thanks - I must admit to have been very tempted to buy a SqueezeAmp but couldn't really justify yet another player - I've run out of rooms to put them in! I've also been looking at the various ESP32 modules and boards (I was very taken by this which looked like a great basis for an outdoor player which would work in direct sunlight...) but haven't broken out the credit card yet. A whole new board is well beyond my design and assembly skills, but if / when one of the SB3s does finally die I will definitely try to shoehorn something into it.
    Also... If I do summon up the courage to do something with this then Ethernet would be a significant bonus (I've wired up almost all of the house) and this looks like it would provide POE as well! A POE-powered SB3 would be rather nice!
    Brgds
    Phil
    Last edited by florca; 2020-12-09 at 04:38. Reason: Add the Ethernet / POE paragraph
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    Maybe a slight tangent from the original topic, but...
    I have four original, white SB3s which I am very attached to, partly due to their near-perfect industrial design
    For me the SB3 is the ideal model, nice form factor and a display I can read at a distance.
    However, like me, they're not getting any younger and the signs of age are beginning to show. My main player recently died (likely the internal PSU, a fair chance it can be fixed), but even if I get it going again, the VFD is beginning to fade now.

    Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    So.. has anyone attempted to strip out the entire internals and replace with something like a Pi zero + mini-DAC (something like a HiFiberry DAC+ Zero)?? I haven't even opened up any of mine to see how much room is available, and the obvious challenge would be how to either replace the display (with what?) or maybe drive the existing one (how?).
    I've had similar thoughts, the work that has been done on the ESP32 based projects looks amazing, but the display is the crux. There doesn't seem to be any equivalent displays using "contemporary" technology.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,090
    I've thought this display might work but I think ti is fractionally too wide to SB3 case

    https://www.waveshare.com/product/di...h-hdmi-lcd.htm

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,694
    Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    For me the SB3 is the ideal model, nice form factor and a display I can read at a distance.
    However, like me, they're not getting any younger and the signs of age are beginning to show. My main player recently died (likely the internal PSU, a fair chance it can be fixed), but even if I get it going again, the VFD is beginning to fade now.


    I've had similar thoughts, the work that has been done on the ESP32 based projects looks amazing, but the display is the crux. There doesn't seem to be any equivalent displays using "contemporary" technology.
    Not sure what you mean by contemporary. Iíve updated the drivers a while ago to support color displays as well, so you have a decent choice. Now, it is SB with and optional color display for artwork. If you want a Touch/Radio like experience, a Pi with piCore player does a super job.

    I donít want to blur the line between SqueezeESP32 and piCore. One is a retro feel but modernized SB, small in size, power, boot time and potentially cost , the other one is Linux to be like a Touch with all the bells and whistles but other trade offs
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by contemporary. Iíve updated the drivers a while ago to support color displays as well, so you have a decent choice. Now, it is SB with and optional color display for artwork. If you want a Touch/Radio like experience, a Pi with piCore player does a super job.
    What I'm looking for is pretty much an SB3 replacement. Similar in size, capabilities and user interface. The issue with the display is that there doesn't seem to be a viable replacement for the VFD display. There are lots of nice, sharp monochrome OLEDs but I haven't come across any similar in size and aspect ratio as the one in the SB3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •