Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Growing mass of failing SB3 (Classic)

Hi all,

as there is no specific forum for the Squeezebox Classic (SB3) or its predecessors for whatever reason, I'll discuss matters here.
    During the last weeks, I received more e-mails than ever about failing or failed SB3 models. It's like a lot of them fail simultaneously, however, not all for the same reasons.
    If your SB3 has issues, please check out this blog post:

https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...x-classic.html

It's still a work in progress but a lot of troubleshooting information can be found in there.
    In my recent experience, the power supply is failure reason #1. Which is good because owners can replace the PSU themselves and see if this fixes the issue(s). Just be careful to use one that has +5V/2A rating and a connector that fits the SB3 power supply jack properly.
    Failure reason #2 is more complicated to fix, it's the SMD capacitors, mainly the ones surrounding the DAC, and also in the power supply section on the opposite side of the board. This requires removing the old capacitors (Mr. Carlson's Lab has a good method, looks brutal but works best: https://youtu.be/X8N9O3a9jiM), and soldering in new ones which is tricky due to space limitations and very limited access to the soldering pads once the capacitor is where it belongs. This can't be done with cheap equipment and requires some exercise, too.

I am located in Germany so EU-wide service is possible at reasonable shipping rates. Anything beyond EU limits is probably beyond reason regarding the shipping cost.

HOWEVER: there's failure reason #3 - what I used to call sudden death syndrome (also described in the blog post referenced above) - and it's recently happened to me during a repair, so I need to announce that the SB3s you send to me might be beyond recovery, even though they were intact when you sent them off. This is a Damocles Sword that I can no longer account for. There is no help from Logitech about this so, to my knowledge, nobody knows what is wrong with these units and how to prevent it from happening, or how to repair the ones affected.
    When I receive a unit that is still capable of booting, and it dies during my repair, I'm of course responsible for restoring or replacing it. This means I will lose between 60 and 80 EUR, depending on what used working units cost nowadays, and it will leave me with a pile of garbage. As much as I love repairing these things and keeping them going, this is an investment that I cannot afford. Probably none of you will readily accept to pay this amount on top of the normal repair either.

So this is just to clarify that my repair capabilities are limited, and dying SB3s are currently nothing but bad luck with nothing we can do about it. It's of course still covered by the "no fix, no fee" model, i.e. there will not be any charge for any repair work done already, and besides the return shipping there won't be any more cost for you if you want the item back.

Thanks guys! Hope we can keep the Squeezebox world going, despite all obstacles!

Cheers,
    Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Growing mass of failing SB3 (Classic)

Just adding to Joe’s post, I can help for people in NAM (Canada). It’s not professional repair, just to help people that love their SBs but who can’t benefit from Joe’s service, so please don’t overload me
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-09-18 at 06:07.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Thumbs up, Philippe! Thank you for adding to the support

Thanks very much, guys. I've recently lost the analog output of a beloved Slim Devices-badged SB3 and my soldering skills are not strong, so I might be in touch. (For now I'm OK -- swapped with another room where I use the SB digital out.)

Also I have an SB3 that died after a fall. I haven't opened the case but I think it has at least one cracked circuit board, as the RCA jacks wiggle a bit. :-(

-Peter
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Now that Philippe has stated (publicly ) he can fix SB3s,

I just want to add, he has the soldering skills, to replace all the SMD capacitors. He did it for one of my SB3s, after I mailed him two of my non-functioning SB3s that were constantly re-booting.

We agreed he would keep the second SB3 for the motherboard he needed, and returned one of the SB3s back to me, after new caps. He later sent me a second SB3 , also with new capacitors for just his cost..

He did a great job, and now I have 2 perfectly functioning SB3s !

Thank You, Philippe
    Last edited by chamonix; 2019-09-22 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Thanks very much, guys. I've recently lost the analog output of a beloved Slim Devices-badged SB3 and my soldering skills are not strong, so I might be in touch. (For now I'm OK -- swapped with another room where I use the SB digital out.)

Also I have an SB3 that died after a fall. I haven't opened the case but I think it has at least one cracked circuit board, as the RCA jacks wiggle a bit. :-(

-Peter
    I can assist: hot air rework, solder paste reflow, SMD cap replacement, spare VFD, SMD component replacement. So. Cal. USA.
    Peter, send me a PM about your fall victim. Sounds fixeable.

Hi all,

sadly, I need to give up SB3 repairs. After five SB3s failed in sequence during or after the capacitor renewal procedure (which succeeded many times before), I can no longer offer this type of service. This happened despite all measures of care like ESD protection, capacitor discharge before soldering, removing the CPU board before starting work on the capacitors, etc.
    So I will keep my hands off the SB3 caps, apparently there is something I don't understand about this matter, and all experience isn't helping.
    I can still offer the display replacement, however, with no warranty of any sort. If you send me an SB3 with a darkened shadowy display, it is not unlikely that the repair ends in a full defect. Until now, I used to extract a working CPU board from one of my own SB3s to get other people's units back working but I'm now running out of stock and motivation. This way, I spend more money on a repair than I can ever earn from it. It just doesn't make sense this way.
    I'm really hoping that one day somebody discovers what makes the SB3 fail. Until then, a lot of SB3s are at a dead end.

Boom display and speaker repairs are still possible, of course, even though the risk of suddenly dying affects the Boom as well. It's just not happened to me yet.

Hope for your understanding.

Cheers,
    Joe

What to say
    It's a pity that the sb3's have to end this way. Are you willing to do a sb3's repair without any guaranty that they last? Just to find the why they fail?
    I guess there would be enough people who would send you a defective sb3 just for study.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    What to say
    It's a pity that the sb3's have to end this way. Are you willing to do a sb3's repair without any guaranty that they last? Just to find the why they fail?
    I guess there would be enough people who would send you a defective sb3 just for study.
    Well, I need to cover my back here. I can accept SB3 repairs but only if liability is explicitly excluded, i.e. if I break the SB3, it's a pity but I can't replace any more SB3 CPU boards as I have only just a few SB3 units in stock and each time this defect happens, I have to gut another one. It's just so sad. So before sending your SB3 off to me, better say your goodbyes because it's possible, not to say likely, that it will not get fixed but get worse in condition. It's out of my control. Therefore, I think it doesn't make sense if you send me an SB3 where the TOSLINK LED is already dim and the power supply was ruled out as the culprit. This is the state that six of my SB3 boards are in right now. I won't find out the reason, probably nobody ever will unless Logitech discloses the technical documentation.
    Philippe_44 (see post above) will take care of the defective boards in attempting a CPU replacement; we are in pretty close contact about this lately. Let's see how that turns out. If good, he may be the go-to address in such cases, much rather than me.

So yeah, that's the state of things. I'll update you as soon as I know more.

Cheers,
    Joe

Alright, thanks for info and I understand you're situation.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity