Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You still have to subscribe to the service and pay them 15 dollars or pounds or euros etc per month. It would be in Amazon's interests to attract more users. It might upset their official partners though.
    Note that Roon is not on the list of partners. They only want to deal with companies that will pay their ante and abide by their non-disclosure agreement.
    Michael Graves

House: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, M-Audio BX5As
    Home Office: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, M-Audio BX5A D2, Berhringer B2092A subwoofer
    Workshop: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, Alesis ProLinear 820s, JBL subwoofer
    Back Yard: SB3, Dayton Amp, Definitive Tech AW6500s
    Front Yard: SB3, SMSL Q5 Amp, Definitive Tech AW5500s
    SqueezeCenter on FreeNAS Mini with 10 TB

email: mgraves <at> mstvp.com
    blog: http://www.mgraves.org

Quote Originally Posted by mgraves View Post
    Note that Roon is not on the list of partners. They only want to deal with companies that will pay their ante and abide by their non-disclosure agreement.
    A bit like MQA then.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    A bit like MQA then.
    I suppose so. I'm not a believer, nor a fan. Although, I have auditioned a Meridien system in a friends home. It was outstanding.

With respect to MQA, I appreciate that's it's technically very clever. I just don't think that there's merit in extremely high sample rates for the delivery mechanism.
    Last edited by mgraves; 2019-09-18 at 09:08.
    Michael Graves

Home Office: RPi3 + HifiBerry Pro XLR, M-Audio BX5A D2, Berhringer B2092A subwoofer

With respect to MQA, I appreciate that's it's technically very clever.
    Is it?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Is it?
    At least it is a clever way of encrypting a bit reduced PCM signal and call it something fantastic new while creating extra incomes on several steps including licensing of capable MQA hardware.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    At least it is a clever way of encrypting a bit reduced PCM signal and call it something fantastic new while creating extra incomes on several steps including licensing of capable MQA hardware.
    Actually, I think it is clever in the way that it presents plain vanilla Red Book 16 bit PCM to existing tech, while encoding all the supposed magic into the 8 bits from 17-24. It's a kind of steganographic encoding.

The data that makes up all the ultrasonic stuff is encoded using lossy compression. I simply don't think that all that stuff is necessary in the delivery channel. It makes no difference to my 53 year old auditory system.
    Michael Graves

Actually, I think it is clever in the way that it presents plain vanilla Red Book 16 bit PCM to existing tech, while encoding all the supposed magic into the 8 bits from 17-24. It's a kind of steganographic encoding.

The data that makes up all the ultrasonic stuff is encoded using lossy compression. I simply don't think that all that stuff is necessary in the delivery channel. It makes no difference to my 53 year old auditory system.
    I am also convinced no one really needs more than 16bits for playback and hearing highs above 20kHz in music is wishfull thinking even for younger people.
    The encrypted ~17/96 MQA compresses worse as if you simply offer a 17/96 flac without MQA sauce. The only magic is that it forces some non-linear filter and lousy upsampling on playback in the hardware.
    MQA was meant to protect and DRM ordinary music. Bandwith savings in the days of 4k is no longer a reason.
    Last edited by Wombat; 2019-09-18 at 19:13.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I am also convinced no one really needs more than 16bits for playback and hearing highs above 20kHz in music is wishfull thinking even for younger people.
    The encrypted ~17/96 MQA compresses worse as if you simply offer a 17/96 flac without MQA sauce. The only magic is that it forces some non-linear filter and lousy upsampling on playback in the hardware.
    MQA was meant to protect and DRM ordinary music. Bandwith savings in the days of 4k is no longer a reason.
    Yes. It's clever. Deviously so.
    Michael Graves

I see some peeps are hardware modding Echo Dots to bring out an S/PDIF feed - https://hackaday.io/project/162309-spdif-from-echo-dot The 3rd Gen Dot should be able to handle the 'HD' streams. so taking the S/PDIF into the Transporter's DAC ought to be doable.