Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

USB wifi not detected at boot

One of my picore devices is placed on my workbench. I always power it down when I'm not using it.

I noticed that on several occasions, the USB Wifi stick itself is not detected at boot. This happens apparently at random. I can boot ten times without problems and then several times with the stick not being detected. When that happens the blue LED of the stick doesn't glow.

I already tried another USB-stick and changed the "waitusb" on the bootcodes page from 2 to 5 but it doesn't make any difference.

Here are two pictures to show what happens at boot:

USB stick detected
    Name:  detected.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  73.1 KB

USB stick not detected
    Name:  not-detected.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  114.4 KB

Anybody any idea as to why this happens?

I'm afraid that I have no useful advice but can tell you that I see the same thing on a Pi running Max2Play.

I have a little box I take with me in the car and run from a battery pack. After having boots without connectivity, I tried a different battery pack. That seemed more reliable, but still not perfect. Since the Pi is notorious for WiFi issues, I got one of those little Edimax dongles. Same thing. Sometimes the network comes up, sometimes it doesn't. At least with the dongle I can see whether or not the blue light is blinking.

There is a command line parameter called waitusb, we default set it to 2 seconds, this is a small delay to let usb devices to get detected. Try to add a few seconds and see if that helps.

You can change this via the Extras -> Bootcodes menu
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thank your for the replies.

@ Atrocity: You confirmed what I was suspecting. So it appears to be yet another Pi-issue.

I still have a Pi Zero lying around. As soon as I find the time, I'll try that one, to see if the built-in Wifi has to same problem.

@ Paul-: I already set that parameter to 5 but It doesn't seem to make a difference. I'l try with 10. If it works I will post back, but I don't think it will.
    Last edited by Alverman; 2019-09-23 at 10:16.