Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Alternatives to Web GUI

I am wondering if there are alternatives to the web GUI for Mac or Windows? I am currently on a Mac and I think it should be "easy" for someone with knowledge to make the web GUI availlable via an applet that is shown in the status bar on the top like the volume or other applications. There are apps for the android and iOS and it would already be nice if the current track was shown (with time) in the status bar of a Mac with an option to pause or skip forward.

I am learning programming languages and run my own bitcoin node for example and I would be glad if someone with knowledge would give me a heads up how to start programming this on my own.
    Last edited by bvrulez; 2019-09-13 at 03:26.

Quote Originally Posted by bvrulez View Post
    I am wondering if there are alternatives to the web GUI for Mac or Windows? I am currently on a Mac and I think it should be "easy" for someone with knowledge to make the web GUI availlable via an applet that is shown in the status bar on the top like the volume or other applications. There are apps for the android and iOS and it would already be nice if the current track was shown (with time) in the status bar of a Mac with an option to pause or skip forward.

I am learning programming languages and run my own bitcoin node for example and I would be glad if someone with knowledge would give me a heads up how to start programming this on my own.
    Material Skin could be a good start, also there's the work done on Windows for Squeezelite X.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Thanks for the reply! Squeezelite X seems to be for Windows what I had in mind. The material skin seems to be just a layout thing that still needs a browser. But there is a lot of discussion there. I will look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by bvrulez View Post
    I think it should be "easy" for someone with knowledge to make the web GUI available via an applet
    The reluctant for someone to do this is because the bulk of the effort is in the maintenance across many OS versions and the support of users - not the development of the piece of code.
    Personal use is usually the main incentive for any development.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The reluctant for someone to do this is because the bulk of the effort is in the maintenance across many OS versions and the support of users - not the development of the piece of code.
    Personal use is usually the main incentive for any development.
    I understand. I would start by developing a status item that offers play/pause for a certain player in the network. I use a small tool for WOL called miniwol which is similar. It offers a very small set of actions but is incredible usefull. Also, I would like to learn how to actually develop something. I am running old OS X Mavericks and I can understand that people don't want to be bothered with the requests of diverse OSs.

Try running Material in app mode
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng