Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You can hook up a receiver to the RPI GPIO.

Something like this. https://www.adafruit.com/product/157
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    The first obstacle is that squeezelite expects to see a command sent to it from the server every ~30 seconds, or it disconnects. My server doesn't send anything periodically (and the original Classic was fine with that); and it's not obvious what I should send - I could do a hack like sending the volume over and over, but that can't be what's intended. The squeezelite code isn't heavily commented. I can slowly slog through the trial and error of "just keep trying stuff" but I'm hoping I can approach this more cleverly. What I probably need is the ability to contact the author and pester him with questions, but I don't know how. (Edit: or, I could hope that the Ralph I----- of Githib is "ralphy" here. Hi?)
    Yes that's me.

There was a period in lms evolution where client keep alive behaviour changed between v6.5 and v7.2. This is a comment I made in the old squeezeslave code regarding it. As sending the volume command is keeping squeezelite active, this is purely out of interest.

Would it be difficult to add in all the buttons on the squeeze classic remote?
    It should be straight forward to add most of them. The complete list is in Slim_Devices_Remote.ir from lms.

Also, what's the simplest way to hook up an IR receiver? I'm not seeing anything cheaper than USB Infrared Toy v2 (~20$). Are there better options?
    There's a short video describing how to connect an IR receiver to the rpi and a link to the ones I use in the first post of an old thread. Note that IR support has been integrated into picoreplayer since this thread was created.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

I have piCorePlayer running with a hifiberry, running headless. I couldn't be more pleased. Donation shortly.

I do have some questions. I'd like to write a custom GUI app that runs on the pi. Before I slap something together with python/tkinter, I'd like to make sure there's no tricks involved in getting a GUI displayed on screen. And maybe plug in a mouse... Is all that doable? Is there a how-to somewhere for adding custom code?

Also, a question about squeezelite. You can set the MAC in it, but it deliberately prevents you from using MAC addresses in the range used by classics. I get it; you don't want to collide with existing hardware. But in my case I wanted to use the pi as a drop-in replacement for a dead classic, which should have meant cloning the classic's MAC. It would be nice if it could give you a warning but then allow MACs in that range to be used. Feasible?

Logitech has licensing with some of the apps only permitted to run on ôRealö SB hardware. And therefore the restriction.

As for displaying something on the screen. Yes there is some pitfalls there. There is no X Support, We are only running a Frame-buffer. The OS is also very lean, extra library support and package management is really different than what you may be used to.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Logitech has licensing with some of the apps only permitted to run on ôRealö SB hardware. And therefore the restriction.

As for displaying something on the screen. Yes there is some pitfalls there. There is no X Support, We are only running a Frame-buffer. The OS is also very lean, extra library support and package management is really different than what you may be used to.
    Point me to interface descriptions and I'll code anything. If you give me access to the frame buffer, sockets, and GPIO pins for an IR receiver (or allow the ability to track a mouse), I will code what I need. I just need to know how to get to things.

Also, a question about squeezelite. You can set the MAC in it, but it deliberately prevents you from using MAC addresses in the range used by classics. I get it; you don't want to collide with existing hardware. But in my case I wanted to use the pi as a drop-in replacement for a dead classic, which should have meant cloning the classic's MAC. It would be nice if it could give you a warning but then allow MACs in that range to be used. Feasible?
    Yes it is feasible, but for the reasons Paul has mentioned the pcp team cannot provide one.

You have to modify the squeezelite source to remove the restriction and build squeezelite yourself.
    There's an option in the picoreplayer webgui squeezelite page to use a custom squeezelite build.
    Ralphy

Point me to interface descriptions and I'll code anything. If you give me access to the frame buffer, sockets, and GPIO pins for an IR receiver (or allow the ability to track a mouse), I will code what I need. I just need to know how to get to things.
    picoreplayer uses linux so the standard library apis for these devices / services are available.

For jivelite we use the fbcon driver in SDL 1.2.15

SDL also provides the keyboard and mouse interfaces for jivelite.

The touchscreen driver/library we use.

This thread on the rpi forums should help with the IR receiver interface.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2019-09-22 at 05:29. Reason: added ir link
    Ralphy