Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Just want someone to confirm that streaming 24/96 doesn't work with LMS and the Tidal plugin.
    Can it be fixed or is it so deep in the way LMS works?
    Hi Zombie,

To my knowledge the Tidal app/plugin is currently capped at 16/44,1 playback and does not support MQA unfolding on the current API available/implementet for LMS. It would be really nice with, and we are many that are hoping for, an updated native Tidal app with MQA, or at least higher resolution decoding of the Master files, but I don't know of any plans for this at the moment.

As I'm currently exploring the same thing, I got some help from @bpa to find a free workaround involving use of the Tidal application for Windows on my Windoes LMS server together with the official WaveInput plugin modified somewhat to use sox.exe instead of the provided wavin2cmd.exe for the flac transcoding to the Squeezebox players. With this setup, I now believe/hope I''m getting nice 24/96 playback from Tidal Master tracks on my SBT and further via SPDIF(not EDO) as verified by my DAC which caps at those bitrates. Depending on your endpoint and network equipment, this should also work with higher bitrates for players that support this(but not for Tidal and SBT which cap at 24/96, I believe), and I see no reason that this shouldn't work with EDO on the SBT, either. Provided that you have som way of running the Tidal app on Linux, a similar solution with WaveInput should work on a LMS server there also, but I haven't tried either EDO or Linux my self yet.

The work-around:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post950355

Unfortunately, I cannot yet remote control the Tidal application that unfolds the master files on my windows server by other means than through RDP, yet. But I'm hoping to find a solution for remote controlling the Tidal app on my phone besides the iPeng app, which controls the rest of my LMS setup. And the audio stream is fully decoded in 24/96 with the 1st unfold information from the Tidal app(24/88,2-96), so no support for further pass-through of 2nd and 3rd unfolding information, unfortunately. On the other hand, if it works as intended, it's better than 16/44,1, and the solution works with any streaming, analog or digital input on the Windows server which you would want to transfer in 24/96 hi-res to your SBT, or even higher for more capable players..

If you ever stumble upon or come up with any better or easier solution for playing hi-res/MQA Tidal or other streaming services to Squeezebox players, please contribute to this thread that has this in mind:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post950178

Br,
    Vegard
    Last edited by Vegz78; 2019-09-11 at 13:50.

I see now that Qobuz is not available in "my country".
    Can't bother with VPN setups.
    Didn't Audiolab have MQA or was it Naim?

Tidal Masters and playback on LMS/SBTwith EDO not possible?

Am 11.09.2019 um 16:54 schrieb left channel:
    >
    > Qobuz is one reason I can't recall everything about my tests of MQA
    > support. I don't need MQA, and find it an unnecessary technical
    > distraction.

+1. And MQA sound not as good as normal hires files in flac format.

MQA is good for the companies that get money for the special hardware
    which is needed to play MQA or for the people that get money for the
    licences, but it is for sure not good regarding sound quality.

But OK, if Tidal is the only service available and e.g. Qobuz is not,
    thats weird :-(.

Cheers,

Schoepp

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I see now that Qobuz is not available in "my country".
    Can't bother with VPN setups.
    Didn't Audiolab have MQA or was it Naim?
    Qobuz only recently expanded to the USA. Before that I found a way to subscribe to the UK service, but I think they know how to check your payment location now. Anyway I hope you see it in your country.

Audiolab supports MQA. Naim does not.
    LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
    Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by schoeppi View Post
    Am 11.09.2019 um 16:54 schrieb left channel:
    >
    > Qobuz is one reason I can't recall everything about my tests of MQA
    > support. I don't need MQA, and find it an unnecessary technical
    > distraction.

+1. And MQA sound not as good as normal hires files in flac format.

MQA is good for the companies that get money for the special hardware
    which is needed to play MQA or for the people that get money for the
    licences, but it is for sure not good regarding sound quality.

But OK, if Tidal is the only service available and e.g. Qobuz is not,
    thats weird :-(.

Cheers,

Schoepp
    Many MQA albums sound good to me. Many do not, because those are not really "masters" and shouldn't have been MQA'ed. Between that uneven quality and all the technical confusion, they're really not doing themselves any favors.

I'm happy to support anyone who wants help configuring their systems for MQA, but it doesn't really matter to me because it does not solve any problem — streaming Hi-Res music works just fine without "folding" — and I've yet to be able to hear the "time domain" thing.

Neil Young and Phil Baker just published a book about Pono that touches on their dealings with Bob Stuart, and their opinions — plus the late great Charles Hansen's opinion — of MQA:
    To Feel The Music: A Songwriter's Mission to Save High-Quality Audio
    Review/excerpts: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/book...
    Amazon: https://amzn.to/34EocOT
    LMS: SGC microJukebox running Sonicorbiter OS
    Control apps: Squeezelite-X on Win 10; Squeezer or Material web app on Android
    Players: Duet, Touch (two), Mac SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X on laptop and HTPC