Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Question / Problem regardingPicture of Radio Station / Podcast

> Unfortunately, no response so far...

It's still in my list of issues to look into... but it's been a busy
    week so far.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    It's still in my list of issues to look into... but it's been a busy
    week so far.
    I think this true for all - early Sept everyone back at their desks.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Hi Michael;
    I have the following 'problem':
    When I look at i.e. a podcast list, each podcast has its own unique icon / image.
    But when I select one podcast from the list and go to the now playing screen (i.e. material skin, but also std skin), it briefly shows the unique image, but flips back to the std. Podcast image after 1 second or so.
    You can try to see what I mean by including i.e. this Podcast into your podcast list and looking at the list (with the unique icons) and then select and play one (and then only see the std icon of that podcast):
    https://podcast.wdr.de/radio/hoerspiel.xml
    What you are seeing is the result of a mismatch between the images supplied with the podcast listing (xml), and the images embedded within each individual podcast episode file (mp3). I don't see any easy way to change this behaviour.

When you browse a list of the podcast episodes, LMS will show you an image associated with each episode, if the publisher has provided one, or an image associated with the podcast as a whole.

When you play a podcast episode, LMS will scan the episode mp3 file for any artwork that the publisher has included in it, and it will show you that in the now playing screen.

If the artwork shown in the podcast listing differs from the artwork included in the mp3 file, then, well, you have seen what happens.

Here is your publisher's web page:

https://www1.wdr.de/mediathek/audio/...eicher150.html

Notice that there is an image containing blue sheep against the second listed episode "Die blauen Schafe – Ausflug in die Berge wird zum Horror-Trip".
    But the publisher has chosen to include a very different image in the mp3 file, which I have extracted.

I've attached both to this post. I hope this explains the point, even though it may not match up with your expectations.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Michael;
    I have the following 'problem':
    PS: Is it usual in Germany to dye the wool before it's taken off the sheep ? Great time saver.

They must be really naughty sheep as they are all wearing GPS ankle bracelets !

Must be a really scary episode

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    PS: Is it usual in Germany to dye the wool before it's taken off the sheep ? Great time saver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    They must be really naughty sheep as they are all wearing GPS ankle bracelets !

Must be a really scary episode

ronnie
    :-)

Thanks also for the technical feedback earlier, mrw.

So its an issue with the provider of the podcast.
    (I also just double checked and the behavior is similarly wrong when using the TuniIn App on the Phone.
    So, I'll try to contact them. (I don't expect much though)

... but what I still don't understand:
    Why is LMS BRIEFLY showing the correct image (from teh xml file?) - and then flips to the generic image (embedded in the MP3)
    If it would just stay with the image from the xml, all would be good (for these podcasts; there are probably other ones, which are implemented correctly....)

Probably because it takes a second or so for the image to arrived as it is embedded inside the MP3 data.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Probably because it takes a second or so for the image to arrived as it is embedded inside the MP3 data.
    There is similar effect with BBC podcasts in BBCiPlayer where the duration in the program listing is different to that of the actual podcast - initially the timebar shows program listing time and then when playing start - on first metadata update - duration is updated.

If it would just stay with the image from the xml, all would be good (for these podcasts; there are probably other ones, which are implemented correctly....)
    That presupposes that we can all agree on ‘correct’ behaviour. The publisher may have a different context in mind.

I think that LMS’ approach of gathering metadata from the stream being played works very nicely in general. Consider, for example, a live ‘radio’ stream that delivers track title, performer, and artwork to accompany the DJ’s choice of music. I’d rather have that than be stuck with a single station logo gathered from, say, the ‘favourites’ listing.

Of course it requires the broadcaster/publisher to actually implement an appropriate scheme...