Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    I used to be a "measurements is everything" kind of person. Then I started listening to some of the best measured DAC's on Audio Science Review and I was surprised to not only hear level matched differences with bass/treble, etc, but also soundstage as well. The RME ADI-2 DAC/PRO for example has a slightly wider soundstage than the Transporter, but it's not natural, IMO, as it can shift the vocals too far out of the center range. I notice it more with digitized vinyl (vinyl typically has a wider soundstage...depending on equipment used) than with CD's. I was really excited when I got the ADI-2 and my bias was with it all the way but it sounded bright and fatiguing. In all fairness, the unit has tons of tweaks but I don't think any of them would improve it a great deal.

I do not believe that the price of a DAC reflects the sound or quality. A $4000 or even a $40,000 DAC could possibly be the worst sounding DAC out there. I have no doubt in the future that a DAC costing $300 could POSSIBLY sound better than the Transporter, but we're not there yet. (Unless one has slipped past my radar but I doubt it)

I'll still check Amir's measurements before buying a DAC but lately I find reading comments and reviews (not so much magazine reviews) is more beneficial.
    I agree, and ( ideally home) demos of audio gear are even better!

Quote Originally Posted by sgmlaw View Post
    I think I gave you a clue why. And I think I also identified specifically where in the TP corners were cut.
    Can you remind me, and explain what specific aspects of audio quality they affect, and how?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    p.s. At my weekend cottage I have a TOUCH feeding an original Benchmark I DAC. I use the Benchmark because I had it before I ever had a squeezebox and it allows me to use balanced connectors on the analog side. I very much like the way this sounds as well.
    Hi Gary!

I have Just purchased a used Benchmark DAC1 and a Touch to powered Active Studio Monitors for my little office setup. Do you use the variable output of the balanced XLR outputs ?? Or do you use fixed output and use SB to
    control volume ??

Cheers Michael
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Transporter - Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Guestroom: Touch - Bencmark DAC1, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

Quote Originally Posted by callesoroe View Post
    Hi Gary!

I have Just purchased a used Benchmark DAC1 and a Touch to powered Active Studio Monitors for my little office setup. Do you use the variable output of the balanced XLR outputs ?? Or do you use fixed output and use SB to
    control volume ??

Cheers Michael
    I used fixed output from the Benchmark and use SB (and ipeng, etc.) to control volume.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I used fixed output from the Benchmark and use SB (and ipeng, etc.) to control volume.
    I use the variable output out of the DAC2HGC to the power amp. The DAC2 colume is around 12oclock as a rule (the Toslink audio out of the TV is fixed, so I need the DAC2 as a volume control, but seldom change it), and for music the Touch controls volume anywhere from 40% to 100%.

Works very well.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Can you remind me, and explain what specific aspects of audio quality they affect, and how?
    pleased to meet you, i think we've guessed your name; but what's puzzling me is the nature of your game?
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

He's a man of wealth and taste.

Quote Originally Posted by netchord View Post
    pleased to meet you, i think we've guessed your name; but what's puzzling me is the nature of your game?
    I am sorry, but I am not at liberty to discuss the nature of my client.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    I am sorry, but I am not at liberty to discuss the nature of my client.
    Socratic Trolls, Inc.
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    He's a man of wealth and taste.
    Nice!
    I've been around for a long, long year
    Stole many a man's soul to waste

An oldie, but a goodie. You can add this to your catchy tunes thread!
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)