Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transporter vs Touch with EDO

Do I get a jaw dropping improvement with a Transporter? Which Transporter model is regarded as the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Do I get a jaw dropping improvement with a Transporter? Which Transporter model is regarded as the best?
    No. And there is only one transporter. The later production doesnĺt have the transknob, but the insides are identical.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Jaw dropping? Perhaps not, but IMO the Transporter is a big step up from the Touch as far as sound quality is concerned and I'm not a Transporter fanatic. In fact, I've been trying to jump ship to a USB DAC only setup for awhile but I can't find a reasonably priced DAC that sounds better. (That includes the RME ADI-2 DAC which I just tried)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No. And there is only one transporter. The later production doesnĺt have the transknob, but the insides are identical.
    I should add to my previous response. I really like my transporter. It's in my main system. And I bought a second "new in box" Transporter a couple of years ago as a backup. And I have about 4 new in box Touch players I bought as backup back when they were cheap and just discontinued. So I have no shortage of squeezebox hardware units. So my actual behavior suggests that I really, really like my Transporter.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    So I have no shortage of squeezebox hardware units. So my actual behavior suggests that I really, really like my Transporter.
    So a fun experiment would be to do a double blind - set up by @Archimago - comparing the Touch to the Transporter. That "extremely cool" look could make the Transporter sound better. Not saying there's anything wrong with an "extremely cool" look!
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    So a fun experiment would be to do a double blind - set up by @Archimago - comparing the Touch to the Transporter. That "extremely cool" look could make the Transporter sound better. Not saying there's anything wrong with an "extremely cool" look!
    valid point and good idea as I certainly believe in unintentional biases!

However, it is unlikely the "look" of the Transporter that drives things for me. The Transporter and amp and preamp are all stuck in side a cabinet. I only see any of these things if I open the doors (which I rarely do). I control everything with either my laptop or ipeng or CONTROLLER. The amp tuns on based on receiving audio. So I never have to fiddle with the equipment. This said, it is certainly possible that even thinking that the Transporter looks cool, without even seeing it makes me like it!

p.s. At my weekend cottage I have a TOUCH feeding an original Benchmark I DAC. I use the Benchmark because I had it before I ever had a squeezebox and it allows me to use balanced connectors on the analog side. I very much like the way this sounds as well.

I might be able to tell you soon as I'm going to dig out my Transporter again (have been using a Touch for some time as it sits nicely on my desk).

R.
    Net-UDAP is free software - you do not have to pay for it.
    However, if you found it useful, please consider donating:
    https://paypal.me/RobinBowes

I use an external DAC with a Touch,
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

If you are using either as a digital head end, the TP is a bit better in that role than the Touch. But both are very good.

The TP is a superior implementation than the Touch going through to the output stage. So in some respects, the Touch is more responsive to an outboard DAC than a TP is.

But I run both models into more upscale DACs, as even the output stage of the TP is nothing all that spectacular in comparative terms.

So it may ultimately depend on the caliber of your contemplated outboard DAC as to which SB is a better fit for you.

For instance, a TP on a $250-500 DAC is likely a downgrade. But the TP soars to another level with a $4,000 one.

And as I just mentioned in another thread, a Touch can be elevated into a budget-priced killer streamer when paired to something like an old CAL Alpha. That can be a $5-600 proposition, cheaper if you shop around.

But I think for the $3-400 they are now selling for, a standalone TP is still a damn nice sounding single-box streamer solution. And that's a super value. There is no meaningful differences between TP models in my experience.

YMMV.
    Last edited by sgmlaw; 2019-10-09 at 11:16.

The mid range/bass of the Transporter blows away the Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by sgmlaw View Post
    For instance, a TP on a $250-500 DAC is likely a downgrade.
    A TP with a $2000 DAC can be a downgrade as well. The RME ADI-2 PRO, the Benchmark DAC3 pale by comparison.