Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Am I doing it right?

Hello everyone! I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I've got a pretty beefy type-1 hypervisor server that I'm using for various things (including a NAS server that holds my music collection). Due to its size and the noise it produces, it is located in my basement, pretty far away from my stereo system.

I plan to use it as a Daphile server as well (as far as I know Daphile is a customized and optimized LMS running on a highly sanitized Linux Gentoo system that only supports x86/x64 platforms. Is there any drawbacks of using it instead of plain LMS on a Linux-based OS? What's the general consensus on Daphile here?).

I would then get a cheap Raspberry Pi board and attach it to my stereo system and my LAN via ethernet. The Pi would hold a Squeezelite installation that feeds my DAC (which I remind you that it's far apart from the Daphile server) with bit perfect audio (is it even possible to get bit perfect audio from it?). I would control the Squeezelite client with my Android devices using Orange Squeeze.

Additionally, I would stream audio to my Windows PC using Squeezelite-X and my Android devices using Squeeze Player & Orange Squeeze.

I also plan to stream audio remotely to my Android devices using ZeroTier (a VPN-like software supported by Daphile). Bonus question: let's say I'm not home and I want to feed my headphones Amp/DAC with bit perfect audio using my Android device (assuming that I have a very strong WiFi/4G signal), will it be possible?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread!
    Last edited by Maury; 2019-09-07 at 11:13.

I can't speak to Daphile particularly or the remote access, but the rest of your planned setup will work well, and is the standard approach for many (that is, server running LMS and holding files sitting far away, connected via ethernet to LAN, then some sort of endpoint (rpi running squeezelite, hardware squeezebox, or computer running squeezelite0, and all this controlled with almost any sort of smart phone/tablet.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I can't speak to Daphile particularly or the remote access, but the rest of your planned setup will work well, and is the standard approach for many (that is, server running LMS and holding files sitting far away, connected via ethernet to LAN, then some sort of endpoint (rpi running squeezelite, hardware squeezebox, or computer running squeezelite0, and all this controlled with almost any sort of smart phone/tablet.
    Thanks for your reply. So you confirm that I will be able to get bit perfect audio from the Pi. I will be waiting for other opinions on Daphile (what troubles me most is that Daphile seems to be designed to work directly with a DAC without an additional Squeezelite installation, while I plan to use it without the DAC attached to the server).
    Last edited by Maury; 2019-09-07 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury View Post
    Thanks for your reply. So you confirm that I will be able to get bit perfect audio from the Pi. I will be waiting for other opinions on Dapahile (what troubles me most is that Dapahile seems to be designed to work directly with a DAC without an additional Squeezelite installation, while I plan to use it without the DAC attached to it).
    Yes, you will get bit perfect audio output from the rPi/squeezelite. This combination makes an excellent endpoint. See the piCorePlayer site and threads at this forum for easy to follow installation instructions.
    https://www.picoreplayer.org/
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Maury View Post
    Thanks for your reply. So you confirm that I will be able to get bit perfect audio from the Pi. I will be waiting for other opinions on Daphile (what troubles me most is that Daphile seems to be designed to work directly with a DAC without an additional Squeezelite installation, while I plan to use it without the DAC attached to the server).
    Regarding Daphile: it's intended usage is indeed directly connected to a DAC, and for this it includes a squeezelite instance, but it also still is a regular LMS, to which you can connect any number of other players. The drawback of the installed Squeezelite instance is that you'll always see a player you don't use, but that's just about it. The big advantage of Daphile is that it's a stripped down OS optimized for doing nothing else than LMS-related work and installs as a complete package. In other words it's ideal for your intended use, with the slight overhead of the additional player available.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Regarding Daphile: it's intended usage is indeed directly connected to a DAC, and for this it includes a squeezelite instance, but it also still is a regular LMS, to which you can connect any number of other players. The drawback of the installed Squeezelite instance is that you'll always see a player you don't use, but that's just about it. The big advantage of Daphile is that it's a stripped down OS optimized for doing nothing else than LMS-related work and installs as a complete package. In other words it's ideal for your intended use, with the slight overhead of the additional player available.
    Am I correct in thinking that to get SSH (ability to tinker) you need to install Beta or have things changed?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that to get SSH (ability to tinker) you need to install Beta or have things changed?
    AFAIK still correct and unlikely to change.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...