Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using RPi I can get DSD64 but not DSD128 to play

I'm using a RPi3 connected to a PS Audio Sprout via USB (I'm also using an iFi iPurifier2 on the USB cable). The Sprout's USB input can accept via DoP both DSD64 & DSD128. Using this hardware I'm able to play DSD64 files via DoP from Squeezelite.

As I mentioned, following soundcheck's thorough walk-through I was able to get DSD64 files to play just fine. However when I play a DSD128 file I just get silence. Squeezelite goes through the motions of playing the file - but no sound. According to "soundcheck" he can get up to DSD256 to play.

Soundcheck's walk-through assumed the RPi would have a DAC hat. But I'm not using a hat - just the RPi's USB port. I'm wondering if DSD128 is even possible on the RPi's USB port?

Assume you are referring to this.

https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.co...art-6-dsd.html

He uses both a i2s dac and a USB based dac.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Most of the DSD setting recommendations from that site cause DSD higher than 64 not to play with pcp 4.1+

The ONLY settings that needs to be set/changed are

Player Name

Output Setting

Device supports DSD/DoP set to 0:u32be

You can obtain the correct value for your DAC from the output of alsacap, which can be found from the webgui. Stop Squeezelite first, then navigate to Main Page->Diagnostics->Sound->[ INFO ] PLAYBACK Hardware Devices

Code:
    Sample formats: S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE
    ALSA Settings 16384:4096 leave the last 3 fields empty.

Log Level settings all=debug so you can see what's happening. Log is located at /var/log/pcp_squeezelite.log

All remaining fields must be cleared/empty.

Select the Squeezelite DSD binary at the bottom of the squeezelite settings page.

Save/backup the configuration.

Reboot pcp
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Most of the DSD setting recommendations from that site cause DSD higher than 64 not to play with pcp 4.1+

The ONLY settings that needs to be set/changed are

Player Name

Output Setting

You can obtain the correct value for your DAC from the output of alsacap, which can be found from the webgui. Stop Squeezelite first, then navigate to Main Page->Diagnostics->Sound->[ INFO ] PLAYBACK Hardware Devices

Code:
    Sample formats: S32_LE, SPECIAL, DSD_U32_BE
    ALSA Settings 16384:4096 leave the last 3 fields empty.

Log Level settings all=debug so you can see what's happening. Log is located at /var/log/pcp_squeezelite.log

All remaining fields must be cleared/empty.

Select the Squeezelite DSD binary at the bottom of the squeezelite settings page.

Save/backup the configuration.

Reboot pcp
    Thanks for the info. I've gone and edited the config, but I'm still not having any luck with DSD128 files.
    I'm running squeezelite 5.0.0.
    I edited the ALSA setting and set the squeezelite binary as you suggested. I then rebooted the RPi.
    Before when I attempted to play a DSD128 file I had silence. With these changes I get a high pitched squeal. DSD64 files still play okay.
    I looked at the logs. But, I really don't know what I'm looking at. I don't see any obvious errors.

Here's the config:
    Name:  config.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  72.5 KB

Log file

log.txt

Here is what it shows in the logs as output devices (I think this is all correct):
    Output devices:
    null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    sysdefault:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=P20 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=P20,DEV=0 - PS Audio USB Audio 2.0, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, - Default Audio Device
    Last edited by tjp888; 2019-09-06 at 08:42.

@ tjp888

in the Output Settings try

front:CARD=P20,DEV=0

or

hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0

you still need to add

save both settings and then reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    @ tjp888

in the Output Settings try

front:CARD=P20,DEV=0

or

hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0

you still need to add

save both settings and then reboot
    If I edit the "Output setting" by removing iec958 and replacing it "hw" or "front" then the squeezelite service fails to run. So, it appears that has to stay.
    I tried all the various combinations of DSD/DoP set to 0:u8, 0:u16le, 0:u16be, 0:u32le, 0:u32be. None worked. In fact setting any of these values on that line also broke DSD64. I can only get DSD64 to work if this line is blank.

I'm using LMS 7.9.2 with the DSD plugin enabled. The squeezelite DSD/DoP <more> information says this requires the LMS DoP patch installed. Is that referring to the plugin? Is there some patch I need?

Have you installed the dsd extension ?

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post943120
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2019-09-06 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Have you installed the dsd extension ?

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post943120
    Yes, it's installed.

Of course after all this messing around I found that now even DSD64 files aren't playing properly. Even though I have put the settings back to their original settings, I hear crackling when playing any DSD64 file now. It didn't do that before.

Damn, after an hour of fiddling, resetting options and rebooting I still can't get the cracking to go away.
    Last edited by tjp888; 2019-09-06 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by tjp888 View Post
    If I edit the "Output setting" by removing iec958 and replacing it "hw" or "front" then the squeezelite service fails to run. So, it appears that has to stay.
    I tried all the various combinations of DSD/DoP set to 0:u8, 0:u16le, 0:u16be, 0:u32le, 0:u32be. None worked. In fact setting any of these values on that line also broke DSD64. I can only get DSD64 to work if this line is blank.

I'm using LMS 7.9.2 with the DSD plugin enabled. The squeezelite DSD/DoP <more> information says this requires the LMS DoP patch installed. Is that referring to the plugin? Is there some patch I need?
    What did the alsacap information for the device list for supported formats?

Are there any clues in the squeezelite log?
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What did the alsacap information for the device list for supported formats?

Are there any clues in the squeezelite log?
    Thanks, but I "threw in the towel" on getting the USB output to work again on the RPi. I had an IQAudio DAC hat laying around. I installed that and I'm back to listening to clean DSD64 files again. It's just that I would have preferred to use the DAC in the PS Audio Sprout over the IQAudio. That's why I wanted to get USB to work.