Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Compiling LMS

  1. #11
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    752
    Hello Michael, I had a look at library.db again. Do I get this right:

    Every browsable menu level (album, year, genre) has its own table (with the exception of the multipurposed contributor. Why?)

    And another question:

    The Custom Scan tables are in persist.db in one huge table. Loading the Custom Browse menus sometimes(?) is very slow, I might even get timeouts (what would speed it up: a faster disk, more RAM, a faster CPU?). Is this because the table is not split into "entry points" like the native tags but is just one large list?
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  2. #12
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,315

    Compiling LMS

    > Every browsable menu level (album, year, genre) has its own table (with
    > the exception of the multipurposed contributor. Why?)


    Every entity and relation has its own table. Some of those entities
    obviously then are used to create the menus. But it's not "hey, we want
    a new menu, we need to change the database schema".

    > The Custom Scan tables are in persist.db in one huge table. Loading the


    This would be a question for Erland.

    --

    Michael

  3. #13
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Every entity and relation has its own table. Some of those entities
    obviously then are used to create the menus. But it's not "hey, we want
    a new menu, we need to change the database schema".
    Perfect, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    This would be a question for Erland.
    I meant in general, but ok.
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  4. #14
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,315

    Compiling LMS

    > The Custom Scan tables are in persist.db in one huge table. Loading the
    > Custom Browse menus sometimes(?) is very slow, I might even get timeouts
    > (what would speed it up: a faster disk, more RAM, a faster CPU?). Is
    > this because the table is not split into "entry points" like the native
    > tags but is just one large list?


    Oh, I guess I didn't read to the end - stopped after reading "Custom
    Scan" twice :-D.

    It's hard to tell what the bottleneck is there. It could be crazy
    complex queries, lack of indices, or resources. You'd have to run some
    analysis to see what's going on.

    (Database analysis isn't easy. In my previous job we once flew in a DB
    specialist from IBM, because an application didn't run on the 250k USD
    iSeries server, while it performed nicely on the dev's cheap Windows
    machine. After two days of looking into it he came to the conclusion of
    "can't you do less queries?")

    --

    Michael

  5. #15
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Oh, I guess I didn't read to the end - stopped after reading "Custom
    Scan" twice :-D.
    Don't we all.

    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    It's hard to tell what the bottleneck is there. It could be crazy
    complex queries, lack of indices, or resources. You'd have to run some
    analysis to see what's going on.

    (Database analysis isn't easy. In my previous job we once flew in a DB
    specialist from IBM, because an application didn't run on the 250k USD
    iSeries server, while it performed nicely on the dev's cheap Windows
    machine. After two days of looking into it he came to the conclusion of
    "can't you do less queries?")
    Yeah, I don't wanna (or could) do that. Thanks!
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •