Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    Both SSIDs have different names now.
    I reinstalled a fresh pCP and connected to SSID 5GHZ. It does connect but streams with a lot of buffering. The 2.4 will not connect wifi at all even though it detects both SSIDS.
    How far from the router are you, and also how is your pi mounted. RPi devices don't have the best antennas

Try removing the pi from any case, and move to within clear site of your wifi router. Start there, see how it connects, then put it in a case, recheck, then move farther away.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    How far from the router are you, and also how is your pi mounted. RPi devices don't have the best antennas

Try removing the pi from any case, and move to within clear site of your wifi router. Start there, see how it connects, then put it in a case, recheck, then move farther away.
    It is 1M from the router. It does work out of the case so antenna probably at fault.
    I will try a USB wifi card, any tips?

If its only 1M from the router, I'd suggest switching to an Ethernet cable from the LMS Pi to the router, if you have an open port on the router. Taking that extra WiFi hop out of the picture can do wonders to improve streaming to the players.
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 7.9 on Raspberry Pi3 w/200GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer

Its only 1M from the router for testing, normally it will be anywhere in the house. Seemed a good idea to use an external wifi adapter or even an extra antenna. Is there an external connection to wifi?

not Without soldering and modifying the board

Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    Its only 1M from the router for testing, normally it will be anywhere in the house.
    Rather than invest in an external WiFi component; I'd hardwire the LMS server and pick up another Pi for the player(s). YMMV
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 7.9 on Raspberry Pi3 w/200GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHart View Post
    Rather than invest in an external WiFi component; I'd hardwire the LMS server and pick up another Pi for the player(s). YMMV
    Thanks Jeff

I have found an old external WiFi dongle that does work near to the router but not upstairs at all so still have a problem, it will work in sight of router but upstairs no. Everything else works, laptops and an old streamer on WiFi.. I did have to use a powered usb hub as the Pi did not have enough power to run it. The player is to be used in a position that has no LAN.
    Any ideas?
    diode84
    Last edited by diode84; 2019-09-15 at 02:21.

If you are using 5GHz try switching to 2.4GHz as it is better at going through obstructions.
    If going through floor/ceiling ... try different orientation and remove obstructions (like a thick dense shelf between the device and the floor below).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If you are using 5GHz try switching to 2.4GHz as it is better at going through obstructions.
    If going through floor/ceiling ... try different orientation and remove obstructions (like a thick dense shelf between the device and the floor below).
    Thanks Paul
    I have tried all those combinations, its a 2.4ghz dongle so 5ghz not in the equation.
    Thing is same dongle works perfectly on Daphile running on a thin client PC in the same position, it uses LMS and Jivelite but the only problem is there are no skins available in Daphile as its closed source. The display is far too small to read whereas pCP I can adjust everything, brilliant.
    I need to get WiFi running well on pCP.
    Last edited by diode84; 2019-09-15 at 07:15.

I scanned back through the thread, I don't see a discussion about country code......are you setting your country code properly? And is your router set to a proper channel for your country?