Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Magnets are an interesting idea. A few small magnets could be held captive in the SqueezeAMP case and the battery box.

I drafted up a box to suit a 3x18650 pack, to give me an idea of size. I've been thinking of a couple of alternatives:

One alternative integrates the battery box lid into the base of the SqueezeAMP case. When the battery box isn't attached, this would make the base of the case slightly larger, but I don't feel that would be a problem - might even improve the stability a bit.

The second alternative would integrate a 'snap-ring' into the lid of the battery box, and a corresponding ridge around the base of the SqueezeAMP case, so that they could be snapped together in the same way as the case top.

In both cases, the battery box lid is flat and simply slides into the top of the battery box - important I think to ensure that it remains easily printable, i.e. to avoid overhangs and the need for buildplate support there should not be features above and below the plane of the lid.

One battery option as well is to use 2x16370 which makes the pack a bit smaller than the amp itself. Of course at the expense of autonomy, but thatĺs a very compact solution
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    One battery option as well is to use 2x16370 which makes the pack a bit smaller than the amp itself.
    I'm drawing a complete blank searching for 16370 cells. Plenty of 16340s though. Is that what you meant? For your earlier Boom battery box you were keen on a battery pack that has built-in protection against, I believe, short circuit (and reverse polarity and charging voltage and current?). Is that still preferable with SqueezeAMP, or does your design include sufficient protection that we can use, for instance, bare unprotected cells in series in a battery holder?

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    One alternative integrates the battery box lid into the base of the SqueezeAMP case. When the battery box isn't attached, this would make the base of the case slightly larger, but I don't feel that would be a problem - might even improve the stability a bit.

I like that one:
    • Stability
    • Base should be a few layers thick, to add a bit of weight
    • small rubbery feets could be attached underneath the base (these are common and cheap)
    • battery connector could be routed underneath, so when the battery compartment is attached, there's no wire in view
    • I would try including an "invitation for screws" at the corners of the base: I'd use it to screw the SqueezeAmp in the back of a speaker, or amplified subwoofer (fed through the line out)
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

I'm drawing a complete blank searching for 16370 cells. Plenty of 16340s though. Is that what you meant? For your earlier Boom battery box you were keen on a battery pack that has built-in protection against, I believe, short circuit (and reverse polarity and charging voltage and current?). Is that still preferable with SqueezeAMP, or does your design include sufficient protection that we can use, for instance, bare unprotected cells in series in a battery holder?
    Yes sorry, in fact I was thinking of 18350 or 16340 and it got mixed into a 16370 . The protection of the battery pack is not a SqueezeAMP special requirement, more a general concern. The charger IC I've used looks for overcharge and has a current + timer termination and I've added a switch for under-voltage. It's more that I recommend to be super careful with LiIon, so having protected packs/cells is a good measure IMHO, but you can decide to not use that.

To be verified, but I don't think there is an issue with rush-in current either.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    I like that one:
    • Stability
    • Base should be a few layers thick, to add a bit of weight
    • small rubbery feets could be attached underneath the base (these are common and cheap)
    • battery connector could be routed underneath, so when the battery compartment is attached, there's no wire in view
    • I would try including an "invitation for screws" at the corners of the base: I'd use it to screw the SqueezeAmp in the back of a speaker, or amplified subwoofer (fed through the line out)
    I also think the approach of including the battery box lid as part of the SqueezeAMP base will work for a variety of battery configurations. Making the SqueezeAMP case snap into the battery box is probably an unnecessary complication - one might as well move the SqueezeAMP PCB from a stand-alone box to a battery-specific box, since it takes only seconds to open the box and if you can print one of the boxes you can print both.

In your bulleted suggestions above, you refer to the 'base' a few times - do you mean the base of the SqueezeAMP case (the yellow part) or the battery box base (blue part)? I believe that you mean the lid part of the yellow base should be a few layers thick, and could have rubber feet underneath, and would have hole centres printed so that the yellow part (without the blue battery box) could be screwed to the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Yes sorry, in fact I was thinking of 18350 or 16340 and it got mixed into a 16370 . The protection of the battery pack is not a SqueezeAMP special requirement, more a general concern. The charger IC I've used looks for overcharge and has a current + timer termination and I've added a switch for under-voltage. It's more that I recommend to be super careful with LiIon, so having protected packs/cells is a good measure IMHO, but you can decide to not use that.

To be verified, but I don't think there is an issue with rush-in current either.
    Thanks Philippe - those shorter cells would indeed make it very compact. The freedom to use bare standalone cells may make it cheaper than buying assembled cell packs. I've seen plenty of bare cells that include built-in protection. I might play with making a printed box that will take DIY spring terminals for the batteries, such as these and these.

In your bulleted suggestions above, you refer to the 'base' a few times - do you mean the base of the SqueezeAMP case (the yellow part) or the battery box base (blue part)?
    The "base" was referring to the battery lid, which I see as being part of the case. From there, you can let your mind wander and think of some elegant way to blend the enclosure's bottom with the battery plate (I see "reversed arches" in the 4 corners)
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    The "base" was referring to the battery lid, which I see as being part of the case. From there, you can let your mind wander and think of some elegant way to blend the enclosure's bottom with the battery plate (I see "reversed arches" in the 4 corners)
    Indeed - I envisaged the yellow part being a single item. Some sort of blending would be good, I agree.

My battery packs arrived today - my first draft as per the image is too small, and 1mm isn't thick enough for the the box and the lid, so I'll get tweaking after the weekend.

Thanks Philippe - those shorter cells would indeed make it very compact. The freedom to use bare standalone cells may make it cheaper than buying assembled cell packs. I've seen plenty of bare cells that include built-in protection. I might play with making a printed box that will take DIY spring terminals for the batteries, such as these and these.
    These cells will do without a problem. Usually I buy protected flat lead cells and solder them to build my own packs.