Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Looking good. Are they in your hands now, or have they sent you those photos? If you've got them, it looks like they are made in panels - will you have to snap them into separate boards?

EDIT: And I just noticed - the wrover in those photos seems to be the version with the external antenna socket.
    They just sent me pictures for orientation verification. And youĺre absolutely right the wrover has the ufl connector which is not what I wanted. I already told them yesterday and they are investigating. The marking says -B version but with the ufl it should say -IB. if they got the wrong version (and the BOM file was correct) this is a problem as the PCB antenna is not usable on the -IB
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    They just sent me pictures for orientation verification. And youĺre absolutely right the wrover has the ufl connector which is not what I wanted. I already told them yesterday and they are investigating. The marking says -B version but with the ufl it should say -IB. if they got the wrong version (and the BOM file was correct) this is a problem as the PCB antenna is not usable on the -IB
    I got some hi-res picture and checked and unfortunatey, R14 is soldered which means that the UFL path is selected. To use the PCB antenna, the 0 ohm should be R15
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I got some hi-res picture and checked and unfortunatey, R14 is soldered which means that the UFL path is selected. To use the PCB antenna, the 0 ohm should be R15
    I did a quick google earlier and got very confused as to which version (-B or -IB) was which. So did they order the wrong ones, or is there ambiguity in the spec? Was that just a sample build they've photographed, or have they soldered them all?

I did a quick google earlier and got very confused as to which version (-B or -IB) was which. So did they order the wrong ones, or is there ambiguity in the spec? Was that just a sample build they've photographed, or have they soldered them all?
    They ordered or got delivered the wrong one. The BOM I sent was clear (with a link to digikey) that it's the B version. I don't know if they have made all of them or just a few. I'll get a response later today I think. What I hope is that the matching filter (under the shield) is always here and by moving the 0 ohm from R14 to R15 will be enough to select the PCB antenna

That's interesting. If that's correct it appears to mean that for the version that is supplied with the UFL connector, switching between the UFL connector and the PCB antenna is simply (!) a matter of moving a zero ohm resistor from one location to another. I guess that may be interesting if anyone wants to fit an external antenna to a SqueezeAMP in the future.

That's interesting. If that's correct it appears to mean that for the version that is supplied with the UFL connector, switching between the UFL connector and the PCB antenna is simply (!) a matter of moving a zero ohm resistor from one location to another. I guess that may be interesting if anyone wants to fit an external antenna to a SqueezeAMP in the future.
    Probably not because now looking at the schematic the matching filter is behind this 0 ohm location and so I assume that filter is different.

PCBWay will change the WROVER to the correct version, at their cost. They are really good.

I made a modified lid for the 3D printed cases so that I can mount one of the tiny slide switches that I bought. Just waiting for the little M2 nuts and bolts to arrive so I can mount it properly.

I hooked up the switch across the pins of J7 so that I can turn off the 3.3V power - for when it's not connected to the DC supply but is connected to batteries.

Out of interest I timed how long it takes to boot up. Astonishingly, when I flipped the switch it took ~7.5 seconds - 7.5 seconds! - to go from powered-down to playing music via the Toslink socket!
    Last edited by chill; 2019-11-04 at 15:24.

Out of interest I timed how long it takes to boot up. Astonishingly, when I flipped the switch it took ~7.5 seconds - 7.5 seconds! - to go from powered-down to playing music via the Toslink socket!
    That's pretty slow... I'll have to do something about this

One thing that will help in the future is that logs verbosity will be set to "INFO" at some point and this should shave a few ms out of the boot process (I think)
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Yes, that's right of course, I was complaining about how slow it was

Of course, that lengthy wait can't all be blamed on the SqueezeAMP. Even after Squeezelite starts running, LMS has to detect it and start streaming to it, and then my DAC has to lock on to the S/PDIF signal on the Toslink cable. My timing stopped the moment I heard output from the speakers.

Admittedly, this 'chain' was working moments earlier when I first flipped the switch to off, but nevertheless, I was genuinely surprised how quickly everything came back when I turned it on again.

Yes, that's right of course, I was complaining about how slow it was

Of course, that lengthy wait can't all be blamed on the SqueezeAMP. Even after Squeezelite starts running, LMS has to detect it and start streaming to it, and then my DAC has to lock on to the S/PDIF signal on the Toslink cable. My timing stopped the moment I heard output from the speakers.

Admittedly, this 'chain' was working moments earlier when I first flipped the switch to off, but nevertheless, I was genuinely surprised how quickly everything came back when I turned it on again.
    I was joking, of course, but only half.

I had a good discussion last night with Philippe44 and, on the path to saving IRAM, I'm going to make a small change that will buffer NVS configuration into spiram. On a typical scenario, this will reduce access to NVS by >90%. At the start of the system, all NVS parameters well be stored into a linked list in a single pass (single NVS open, multiple reads followed by single close). Given that flash access has consequences on spiram caching and execution, this should execute a bit faster overall... At least in theory. From there, NVS would only have to be accessed when values are changed.

Under normal circumstances, this would be a bad practice in embedded design; wasting precious RAM on something that can be cached away. But the fact that the WROVER has "plenty" of IRAM means it's a luxury that we can afford.

I'll be curious to see the net effect on boot up speed.

Thanks for sharing that very interesting fact. Boot speed is one of the main benefit of this platform vs a raspberry Pi based system!
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!