Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    you're not flashing nvs_parameters, are you? If other branches are on the edge, that one is on the edge of the edge. I branched that one out, knowing that it would be really unstable for a while.

note: you HAVE to flash the new recovery and partitions.bin to get that branch to work. You also shouldn't try running recovery/squeezelite from different branches.

The reason why you ran into troubles is that the nvs branch had an issue with reading parameters from the new "settings" nvs partition. This is not resolved. Going with this branch means you'll likely have to reconfigure. If you have any issue, you should try erase flash before flashing again.

There's an included bonus on the current build: when using the esp as a bluetooth sink (e.g. straming from a phone, etc), there's a new adjustment factor for the volume. The higher the factor, the finer volume control you get at low volume. A factor of 1 means linear volume, which doesn't quite match human's perception of loudness
    Thanks for your feedback, sle118.
    Could you clarify a few things for me:
    Which is the stable branch?
    Can you provide a link to download that release firmware?
    Because I am indeed on branch nvs_parameters - may be not intentionally, but I thought I am on that branch from the beginning, when I followed your link in post:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post951633

Thanks!
    Because other than that, it works really nicely.

*update*
    Upon re-reading the linked post from you again, I understand that the stable branch is probably *Over_The_Air_Update.
    I guess I didnt understand the concept that the listed firmware versions in the recovery interface of SqueezeAmp do come from multiple branches and I need to stay with versions from the branch I started with.
    Last edited by slimhase; 2019-10-17 at 01:59.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Could you clarify a few things for me:
    Can you provide a link to download that release firmware?
    Because I am indeed on branch nvs_parameters - may be not intentionally, but I thought I am on that branch from the beginning, when I followed your link in post:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post951633

Thanks!
    Because other than that, it works really nicely.

*update*
    Upon re-reading the linked post from you again, I understand that the stable branch is probably *Over_The_Air_Update.
    I guess I didnt understand the concept that the listed firmware versions in the recovery interface of SqueezeAmp do come from multiple branches and I need to stay with versions from the branch I started with.
    I still need some help here....
    I would like to stay on the stable branch (Over_The_Air_Update)
    I was able to flash via serial the latest version of that branch. So I am in recovery mode now.
    To be able to into squeezelite mode, I need to flash via ota that version.
    The problem: That version is so "old", that it is not listed anymore in the "system" tab of the wifi manager.
    I also tried to manually enter it in the Field Firmware URL on that tab, but it seems not to allowsuch a long url
    https://github.com/sle118/squeezelite-esp32/releases/download/v0.2.120-v3.1.5-SqueezeAmp4MBFlash-Over_The_Air_Update/squeezelite-esp32-v0.2.120-IDFv3.1.5-Over_The_Air_Update-SqueezeAmp4MBFlash.bin - it cuts it to:
    https://github.com/sle118/squeezelite-esp32/releases/download/v0.2.120-v3.1.5-SqueezeAmp4MBFlash-Over_The_Air_Update/squ

I still need some help here....
    I would like to stay on the stable branch (Over_The_Air_Update)
    I was able to flash via serial the latest version of that branch. So I am in recovery mode now.
    To be able to into squeezelite mode, I need to flash via ota that version.
    The problem: That version is so "old", that it is not listed anymore in the "system" tab of the wifi manager.
    I also tried to manually enter it in the Field Firmware URL on that tab, but it seems not to allowsuch a long url
    https://github.com/sle118/squeezelit...mp4MBFlash.bin - it cuts it to:
    https://github.com/sle118/squeezelit...Air_Update/squ
    quick and dirty hack: edit maxlength attribute of textarea in browser dev tools....
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

The most stable branches are on Philippe's repo. All the OTA have been very much experimental up until now. I'm going to consolidate changes into my master branch and call it stable. From there, we will need feedback to reach a stable stable state. So I guess nvs_parameters, after yesterday's fixes, is probably the 2nd most stable branch now after Philippe's repo (which still doesn't support OTA).

The idea was to allow exploring other feature sets and it should have been possible to navigate between branches. I did ran into an issue, however, with available space on the original nvs partition, which could not be extended. This resulted in an incompatibility: the other branch's recovery app was still trying to write to the original nvs partition, while the newer nvs_parameters instance of squeezelite was writing to the new partition. This was the main cause of the boot loop!

If nvs_parameters is working good for you, stay on it and watch for v0.3.* release later.

Next step is v0.3.* for master; this is where bugfixes will be applied on a regular basis.

At some point, there will be a "v1.*" branch. These will be the stable release branches that stay as stable as possible.

This may not be obvious at all, so let me know if you have any question. As we move towards a release branch, I will keep posting news here and ensure that Philippe updates his first post with these details.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Thanks guys - I am up & running again with latest nvs branch firmware (0.2.149)!

Thanks guys - I am up & running again with latest nvs branch firmware (0.2.149)!
    Hehe - behind already!

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Hehe - behind already!
    Damn! These guys are fast :-)
    But now, I can do OTA again, which was broken for me earlier, so no problem.

I just did the complete update to 0.2.151: erase and reflash the recovery partition via TTL, then OTA update of the squeezelite partition. It's getting quite slick now guys - no problems at all.

I like that the footer now shows in a red colour for the recovery mode and a green colour for the squeezelite mode - it all helps. But I wonder if you could go a step further and change the whole dark grey background/theme to a different colour in Recovery mode, as a more obvious visual warning.

And one other suggestion: would you consider changing the default naming of a couple of things?
    - I have a variety of players that identify themselves, by default, as 'squeezelite'. Would it make sense to change the default player name on the 'Audio + LMS' tab to 'SqueezeAMP', since it's tied to the device?
    - And since it's the 'SqueezeAMP' device that makes the wifi AP in recovery mode, rather than squeezelite, would it also make sense to change the name (and password) of the wifi AP to 'SqueezeAMP'?

I just did the complete update to 0.2.151: erase and reflash the recovery partition via TTL, then OTA update of the squeezelite partition. It's getting quite slick now guys - no problems at all.

I like that the footer now shows in a red colour for the recovery mode and a green colour for the squeezelite mode - it all helps. But I wonder if you could go a step further and change the whole dark grey background/theme to a different colour in Recovery mode, as a more obvious visual warning.
    I tried that but it just didn't look good. If you have a CSS suggestion I'd be happy to try.

And one other suggestion: would you consider changing the default naming of a couple of things?
    - I have a variety of players that identify themselves, by default, as 'squeezelite'. Would it make sense to change the default player name on the 'Audio + LMS' tab to 'SqueezeAMP', since it's tied to the device?
    it's not, that's the thing. SqueezeAMP is specific to Philippe's PCB, while the project works on all sorts of ESP32 platforms (I use it on several naked Wrovers).

- And since it's the 'SqueezeAMP' device that makes the wifi AP in recovery mode, rather than squeezelite, would it also make sense to change the name (and password) of the wifi AP to 'SqueezeAMP'?
    kinda same as above.

I do wonder if we could/should rename it to 'squeezelite-esp32' - which means more typing tho.

thoughts?

-d
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by daduke View Post
    I tried that but it just didn't look good. If you have a CSS suggestion I'd be happy to try.
    Sure. Let me just look up what CSS means..... By which I mean, you're looking at the wrong guy.

it's not, that's the thing. SqueezeAMP is specific to Philippe's PCB, while the project works on all sorts of ESP32 platforms (I use it on several naked Wrovers).
    Ah yes, hadn't thought of that.

kinda same as above.

I do wonder if we could/should rename it to 'squeezelite-esp32' - which means more typing tho.

thoughts?
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the existing names, as most people will have renamed other squeezelite players anyway. I had overlooked the fact that the software runs on hardware other than SqueezeAMP.

Is there a way for the software to detect what hardware it's running on, and use 'SqueezeAMP' if appropriate?