Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I've tried two power supplies. One at 12V (as the documentation says).
    There's a red light constant, plus the little green one in the middle
    blinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Red light (in the Toslink connector) and flashing green LED is correct I think.
    I've just powered mine via the power jack for the first time (I've used batteries up till now), and now I realise that there's also a red LED for external power.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I've just powered mine via the power jack for the first time (I've used batteries up till now), and now I realise that there's also a red LED for external power.
    The toslink will be red until the squeezelite client is initialized which only happens once WiFi has been connected. It will stay red if spdif output has been selected, otherwise if will go off.

The bright led behind the power connector is the battery charging led. Itís on when a battery is plugged and charging. Unfortunately, the charging chip will also switch it on when no battery is connected, a bit misleading...

I donít know whatís happening wrt you just seing garbage on uart. Itís 3.3v level, not rs232 12v. Normally, these ftdi let you select 5v or 3.3v, but they are all logic levels, not rs232. Iíve used at least 3 different ftdi board successfully
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP and SqueezeliteESP32

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > (https://github.com/philippe44/Squeez...ster/README.md) I think
    > you're looking at J6, the 5-pin IO Extension Connector. The serial pins
    > are on J3, the Main Header. That's the row of 6 pins next to the 3.5mm
    > jack socket.

Ok, thanks. Got that. Now I've got this adapter:

https://www.tripplite.com/support/usa19hs

Drivers installed. Seems to be communicating somehow, as when I type I
    do see the LED flicker.

But the terminal remains blank.

What is Pin 1 on that connector? Top most or inner most?

I've tried two power supplies. One at 12V (as the documentation says).
    There's a red light constant, plus the little green one in the middle
    blinking.

Same with a SB power supply (5V).

What can I do next?...
    --

Michael
    Any 5-20v power adapter will do the job (12v best), center positive. If you invert power supply (which is very unlikely) itís ok as there is protection

[edit]: I did not look at the serial adapter initially. This will not work, you need one that has ttl level, not a rs232 level adapter.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-09-27 at 13:19.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Cross post***

All,

We've all been quiet on gitter lately because I've been exchanging with @daduke mostly in private chat while coordinating on his UI work. He's done a tremendous job at simplifying the configuration experience, which I'm sure everyone will appreciate.

From my end, I lost a few sleeping hours over the past couple of weeks, implementing and refining the OTA system, as well as consolidating the HTTP server so it can play nicely with the front end work. The OTA required a solid binary distribution backend, so I had to build a new Jenkins server from scratch, script an appropriate build sequence and hook all of that to my GitHub repository. It has proven to be a little more challenging than anticipated, but today I witnessed our recovery application to do it's first OTA update from @daduke's nice UI today, tapping from a release list live from GitHub.

Anyone interested can download the zip file from my repository
    https://github.com/sle118/squeezelite-esp32/releases

Flashing instructions should be included with the zip file. Hint: the initial flashing is a recovery application that does not contain squeezelite. It occupies a small portion of the flash chip and, when we have reached a good level of stability, shouldn't have to be updated in the future. That recovery application is responsible of updating squeezelite, which will sit in a 2.5+Mb partition.

Note: this is still very early progress and OTA is still a bit flaky at this point; it needs some more tuning on the memory and thread priority side. Also, you should probably wipe out the flash chip before using this version. The NVS area was changed and so was the partition table layout, which means previous configuration will be lost.

Note 2: I have not tested the stability of playback, but I tried preserving a winning combination of esp-idf level (3.1.5, July 4th). Philippe has the most stable branch right now and I recommend it if you want to use your device as your daily driver for listening to music. It's command line driven, though, so not for everyone.

The Jenkins build system is configured to build 2 targets (for now): SqueezeAmp (with a tailored driver for the included amplifier chip), or a generic I2S target which supports cheap i2s headphones boards or spdif output. These 2 targets are built against 2 versions of the esp-idf: the master branch (bleeding edge) and the "3.1.5" branch, which is known to be stable. Finally, these 4 combinations are built for any branch where code change is pushed.

I recommend the following builds:

v0.1.76#v3.1.5#SqueezeAmp#Over_The_Air_Update: for SqueezeAmp
    v0.1.76#v3.1.5#I2S-4MFlash#Over_The_Air_Update: for custom built players

Here is a teaser:

Name:  Screenshot_20190927-233049_Chrome.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  213.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190927-235217_Chrome.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  131.6 KB
    Last edited by sle118; 2019-09-27 at 21:13.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    We've all been quiet on gitter lately because I've been exchanging with @daduke mostly in private chat while coordinating on his UI work. He's done a tremendous job at simplifying the configuration experience, which I'm sure everyone will appreciate.

From my end, I lost a few sleeping hours over the past couple of weeks, implementing and refining the OTA system, as well as consolidating the HTTP server so it can play nicely with the front end work.
    This looks great - really looking forward to trying it out. I'm close.

My correct TTL-to-USB adapter arrived this afternoon, courtesy of Amazon Prime, and everything is right with the world again. All my bits are the right way up now, so no more garbage output, and best of all I don't seem to have damaged anything by using the RS232-to-USB adapter. So a couple of simple commands was all it took to get the SqueezeAMP connected to my wifi and Squeezelite playing out of the Toslink connector.

At this stage I'm reluctant to brick it - attempting to flash new firmware might be a step too far at the moment. I did have a quick look at flash_cmd.txt in the zip, but it didn't make much sense to me I'm afraid.

Code:
    Toolchain path: /var/lib/jenkins/.espressif/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/1.22.0-80-g6c4433a-5.2.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc
    WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-80-g6c4433a
    Expected to see version: esp32-2019r1
    Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
    WARNING: Compiler version is not supported: 5.2.0
    Expected to see version(s): 8.2.0
    Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
    Python requirements from /var/opt/esp-idf/requirements.txt are satisfied.
    --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size detect 0xd000 ota_data_initial.bin 0x1000 bootloader/bootloader.bin 0x10000 recovery.SqueezeAmp.bin 0x8000 partitions.bin
    Is it the Flash Download Tools that I need from here? Is there a way to do it on a Macbook?

you'll want esptool, works on macOS too.

if you're brave, you can try flashing recovery.bin:

Code:
    python /<PATH>/<TO>/esptool.py --chip esp32 --port /dev/<YOUR SERIAL> --baud 2000000 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size detect 0xd000 ota_data_initial.bin 0x1000 bootloader.bin 0x10000 recovery.bin 0x8000 partitions.bin
    and then try OTAing squeezelite from GH - worst case: reflash the 'stable' version..
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

Thanks - I'll give it a go.

Got the tools, set up the command:

Code:
    python ~/anaconda3/bin/esptool.py --chip esp32 --port /dev/cu.usbserial-AO007W5U --baud 2000000 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size detect 0xd000 ota_data_initial.bin 0x1000 bootloader/bootloader.bin 0x10000 recovery.bin 0x8000 partitions.bin
    ....but it fails to connect. Do I have to put the board into a special mode first?

Found it - it's flashing....

Well, it flashed, but now what? The 'join' command doesn't seem to be recognised now, so I can't get it onto my wifi.