Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by daduke View Post
    you can also try booting a Linux live CD/stick, usually the easiest to debug RS232 issues...
    I'll keep that in mind, thank you. I do have an old Macbook that runs Ubuntu, but I have little to no experience adding hardware devices such as USB-to-serial adapters. The alternative adapter that I've found at work seems to be behaving on my MacOS Macbook, but that's as much as I can tell until I get home to the SqueezeAMP again. I resisted bringing it to work - I'd never get anything else done!

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Given the way this USB-to-serial adapter is crashing my Macbook, it's possible that it's faulty, so I'm going for belt-and-braces; I've dug out another adapter (different model), and I've found a Windows 10 laptop, and I'll give these a try over the weekend.

What should I expect to see when I connect? At the moment, I see a screen or two of output when I press the reset button, and then every few seconds I see a line or two of repeating output. Assuming it's just that the characters in this output are not being correctly interpreted, does that pattern of output make sense?
    In the board I've sent you, because the autoexec2 does not allow a successful WiFi connection, then there is not much log output after the boot and attempt to start WiFi. I don't think I've disabled the whole autoexec system, but in case I did, it does not even try to run the autoexecs (need to do "nvs_set autoexec u8 -v 1" in that case). See my github site for the exact details
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP andSqueezeliteESP32

> (https://github.com/philippe44/Squeez...ster/README.md) I think
    > you're looking at J6, the 5-pin IO Extension Connector. The serial pins
    > are on J3, the Main Header. That's the row of 6 pins next to the 3.5mm
    > jack socket.

Ok, thanks. Got that. Now I've got this adapter:

https://www.tripplite.com/support/usa19hs

Drivers installed. Seems to be communicating somehow, as when I type I
    do see the LED flicker.

But the terminal remains blank.

What is Pin 1 on that connector? Top most or inner most?

I've tried two power supplies. One at 12V (as the documentation says).
    There's a red light constant, plus the little green one in the middle
    blinking.

Same with a SB power supply (5V).

What can I do next?...
    --

Michael

Pin 1 is the one nearest the corner of the PCB - square solder pad on the reverse.

Red light (in the Toslink connector) and flashing green LED is correct I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > (https://github.com/philippe44/Squeez...ster/README.md) I think
    > you're looking at J6, the 5-pin IO Extension Connector. The serial pins
    > are on J3, the Main Header. That's the row of 6 pins next to the 3.5mm
    > jack socket.

Ok, thanks. Got that. Now I've got this adapter:

https://www.tripplite.com/support/usa19hs

Drivers installed. Seems to be communicating somehow, as when I type I
    do see the LED flicker.

But the terminal remains blank.

What is Pin 1 on that connector? Top most or inner most?

I've tried two power supplies. One at 12V (as the documentation says).
    There's a red light constant, plus the little green one in the middle
    blinking.

Same with a SB power supply (5V).

What can I do next?...
    --

Michael
    Michael; don't try more attempts with that adapter, unless someone more knowledgeable than me gives a go.
    You need to communicate with 3.3Volts with the ESP - your adapter looks like TTL (5 volts) to me. That can kill the module.

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Michael; don't try more attempts with that adapter, unless someone more knowledgeable than me gives a go.
    You need to communicate with 3.3Volts with the ESP - your adapter looks like TTL (5 volts) to me. That can kill the module.
    I was just investigating this myself - are we communicating in RS232 or TTL? I'm still getting (the same) garbage with my second USB-to-RS232 adapter. I've been trying to figure out if it's a character encoding issue, but it did occur to me that maybe the bits are being flipped.

You need an adapter like this:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Programmer-F...QAAOSwuMRb~pe9

Also, when you have that and communication still does not work, try to swap RX and TX connection.
    Pin 1 is the outermost pin (GND), away from the EP module

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I was just investigating this myself - are we communicating in RS232 or TTL? I'm still getting (the same) garbage with my second USB-to-RS232 adapter. I've been trying to figure out if it's a character encoding issue, but it did occur to me that maybe the bits are being flipped.
    Most important is that your adapter allows switching to 3.3 Volts (like the one I linked - you can switch voltage with the jumper on the adapter.)
    ESP module RX / TX (or in general all digital I/O's) are 3.3 Volts and don't tolerate 5 Volts (for long)

Perfect, thank you. I've ordered a couple of different ones with the FTDI FT232RL chip.

Most important is that your adapter allows switching to 3.3 Volts (like the one I linked - you can switch voltage with the jumper on the adapter.)
    ESP module RX / TX (or in general all digital I/O's) are 3.3 Volts and don't tolerate 5 Volts (for long)
    I'm certainly no expert here, but I did read in a couple of places that the logic is inverted between RS232 and TTL, so zeroes and ones will be inverted, even if the different voltages can be tolerated. I do suspect that's the problem I've been having - if all the ones and zeroes are inverted then every character will be (repeatedly) interpreted as a different character, with lots of them not being valid characters at all. Fingers crossed for the proper adapters tomorrow.