Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    now please excuse my ignorance,
    but which one is the serial connector? Is it the one on the bottom (top
    right on
    https://github.com/philippe44/Squeez...png?raw=true)?
    No, from the description here I think you're looking at J6, the 5-pin IO Extension Connector. The serial pins are on J3, the Main Header. That's the row of 6 pins next to the 3.5mm jack socket.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    No, from the description here I think you're looking at J6, the 5-pin IO Extension Connector. The serial pins are on J3, the Main Header. That's the row of 6 pins next to the 3.5mm jack socket.
    Yes that’s correct - I’ve used these big 2.54 mm pin so that they fit well with the type of connectors provided with usb to serial. Hopefully, with the first batch, we will have WiFi-based setup ready Now we still have the issue of the very first download that I don’t know yet how to solve
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Hi Philippe - can you give me a couple of pointers? I've connected up to the serial pins using a USB-to-serial adapter, and I'm using Coolterm on my Macbook to try to communicate. When I connect with 115200 8-N-1 I can see a regular sequence of characters coming from the device, but they don't make sense to me - as though the baud rate is wrong (other baud rates don't make them any clearer), or simply that's it's a binary sequence rather than plain text.

Attempting to issue the wifi setup command (nvs_set autoexec1 str -v "join <SSID> <password>") doesn't seem to do anything.

What I'm not sure about is whether this pre-production unit has any firmware on it yet, or whether I need to load that first.

Hi Philippe - can you give me a couple of pointers? I've connected up to the serial pins using a USB-to-serial adapter, and I'm using Coolterm on my Macbook to try to communicate. When I connect with 115200 8-N-1 I can see a regular sequence of characters coming from the device, but they don't make sense to me - as though the baud rate is wrong (other baud rates don't make them any clearer), or simply that's it's a binary sequence rather than plain text.

Attempting to issue the wifi setup command (nvs_set autoexec1 str -v "join <SSID> <password>") doesn't seem to do anything.

What I'm not sure about is whether this pre-production unit has any firmware on it yet, or whether I need to load that first.
    Yes the unit has firmware in it. Usually, when you have garbage at 115200,n,8,1 it means that the GND has not been connected between the USB-to-Serial the board
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Yes the unit has firmware in it. Usually, when you have garbage at 115200,n,8,1 it means that the GND has not been connected between the USB-to-Serial the board
    Thanks. GND is connected - I have three wires: GND, RX and TX.

The garbage is repeatable, so I don't think it's caused by 'floating' voltages. The USB-to-serial adapter keeps crashing my Macbook when I remove the USB cable, so I'm going to bring a Windows laptop home for the weekend.

Thanks. GND is connected - I have three wires: GND, RX and TX.

The garbage is repeatable, so I don't think it's caused by 'floating' voltages. The USB-to-serial adapter keeps crashing my Macbook when I remove the USB cable, so I'm going to bring a Windows laptop home for the weekend.
    Then it should work. I mentioned the GND problem because it happened to me twice, my wire was not connected properly (on the USB-to-serial board) and I banged my head against the wall a while with all permutations & combinations of serial speed & format before I realized GND was incorrect.

Given the way this USB-to-serial adapter is crashing my Macbook, it's possible that it's faulty, so I'm going for belt-and-braces; I've dug out another adapter (different model), and I've found a Windows 10 laptop, and I'll give these a try over the weekend.

What should I expect to see when I connect? At the moment, I see a screen or two of output when I press the reset button, and then every few seconds I see a line or two of repeating output. Assuming it's just that the characters in this output are not being correctly interpreted, does that pattern of output make sense?

yes, initial config messages and some repeating status output. good luck!
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

Thank you - that's a good start then. It suggests it's just a comms issue. I'll also try using the built-in terminal app (I didn't realise it can also talk to serial ports) rather than Coolterm.

you can also try booting a Linux live CD/stick, usually the easiest to debug RS232 issues...
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0