Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Yes, that's right of course, I was complaining about how slow it was

Of course, that lengthy wait can't all be blamed on the SqueezeAMP. Even after Squeezelite starts running, LMS has to detect it and start streaming to it, and then my DAC has to lock on to the S/PDIF signal on the Toslink cable. My timing stopped the moment I heard output from the speakers.

Admittedly, this 'chain' was working moments earlier when I first flipped the switch to off, but nevertheless, I was genuinely surprised how quickly everything came back when I turned it on again.
    There's a new build of you are willing to try it.

The most important change is a decoupling of configuration values and the NVS (non volatile storage) throughout all the subsystems. Using the NVS all over the place resulted in competing for flash resources. Going forward, configuration values will be stored in PSRAM using the cJSON library, which is pretty much an efficient linked list implementation. I'm going to spare all the technical details and just say that the system should run more smoothly. For example, hitting the HTTP server during playback shouldn't result in stuttering. OTA, at least in theory, should be more responsive.

I tried some benchmark of boot to playback, and I think some milliseconds might have been shaved too (1500ms or so) compared to your non scientific measurements.

Give it a try if you feel like it, but be aware that a full boring TTL recovery flash is required. We're nearing the end of that cycle; as we approach the reception of the first boards from PCB way, recovery mechanisms (including WiFi profile management) will need to be locked down.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

I've just loaded v0.3.173 - the web interface does seem a little snappier. I used the TTL adapter to load the new recovery partition, then updated the squeezelite partition OTA. It all went very smoothly. The only glitch I noticed was that after the first boot into the recovery partition the list of available firmware was empty and the 'Check for updates' button didn't populate the list. I hit the Reboot button and it came back with a populated list.

My completely unscientific boot speed testing is not reliable - after my earlier post I found that it could take anywhere between 7.5 and 9.5 seconds for music to start playing from my speakers. Too many variables I think - boot, connect to wifi, let LMS find the player and start streaming, let DAC lock onto Toslink signal. But I've just done a single test with the latest version, and it measured 7 seconds dead. I never saw one that quick previously.

I've just loaded v0.3.173 - the web interface does seem a little snappier. I used the TTL adapter to load the new recovery partition, then updated the squeezelite partition OTA. It all went very smoothly. The only glitch I noticed was that after the first boot into the recovery partition the list of available firmware was empty and the 'Check for updates' button didn't populate the list. I hit the Reboot button and it came back with a populated list.

My completely unscientific boot speed testing is not reliable - after my earlier post I found that it could take anywhere between 7.5 and 9.5 seconds for music to start playing from my speakers. Too many variables I think - boot, connect to wifi, let LMS find the player and start streaming, let DAC lock onto Toslink signal. But I've just done a single test with the latest version, and it measured 7 seconds dead. I never saw one that quick previously.
    This corroborates my observations. All things being relative, my estimate of 1500 comes from looking at the TTL logs timestamps from "before" and "after". It is worth noting that log time stamps before changes were very close to your observations.

As for the release list, this is rather strange. Clicking on the button to refresh actually doesn't hit the esp32 at all. The button runs Java code that calls the GitHub API. If this happens again, you could open your browser's developer mode and look for errors in the console.

I did sneak a small bonus in this release: the credits page now has a toggle button to enable the configuration editor while in squeezelite mode. The config editor now also has a reboot button that doesn't toggle between recovery and squeezelite. All in all, this allows you to change config values and reboot in the same page.

That version also implemented a feature that will make some names more unique. For example, network host name, squeezebox player name, configuration access point name, etc. These will now have a few characters from the mac address at the end, making it easier to single out units when they get powered up.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    As for the release list, this is rather strange. Clicking on the button to refresh actually doesn't hit the esp32 at all. The button runs Java code that calls the GitHub API. If this happens again, you could open your browser's developer mode and look for errors in the console.
    Ah, ok, so rebooting the SqueezeAMP probably did nothing more than refresh the page in my browser. If it happens again I'll see what I can learn from the developer mode.

Ah, ok, so rebooting the SqueezeAMP probably did nothing more than refresh the page in my browser. If it happens again I'll see what I can learn from the developer mode.
    One thing that comes to mind is the sensitivity of some browsers to cross site "scripting". In this case, the esp32 sends a page with code that tells the browser to get data from a different site. I had to implement some HTTP headers in the response from the ESP to allow that to happen, but it might not be bullet proof!
    SqueezeAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    One thing that comes to mind is the sensitivity of some browsers to cross site "scripting". In this case, the esp32 sends a page with code that tells the browser to get data from a different site. I had to implement some HTTP headers in the response from the ESP to allow that to happen, but it might not be bullet proof!
    Ok, thanks, something for me to look out for. I'm using Chrome on a Macbook.

I've been experimenting with the boost version this morning. Here is a picture taken in the infrared spectrum of the board sitting idle on battery power @70mA (more or less, given the fluctuation caused by BT/WiFi activity).

edit: very funny that vBulletin rotates the picture. I guess it doesn't care about orientation information from them?

Name:  img_thermal_1574695636983.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  83.2 KB

The amp was mounted against the side of a speaker enclosure. You can see there's a bit of a heat dissipation visible on this other picture
    Name:  img_thermal_1574695541399.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  95.7 KB

I will post additional pictures in the visible spectrum later, along with the board during charge. Note that this is the 3 cells boost board version, which isn't quite the same as the 2 cells version that is about to get ready for shipping.

Edit:. Below is a picture when the boost charging circuit has been engaged for 3 minutes or so. I didn't leave it charging. Instead, I wanted to wait for tomorrow when the batteries are more depleted. I'll leave the charge going with the enclosure shut.

Name:  img_thermal_1574727859701.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  79.1 KB
    Last edited by sle118; 2019-11-25 at 20:26.
    SqueezeAmp!

WiFi hotspot - new password?

Hi guys; esp @sle118:
    I just uploaded the new firmware (squeezelite-esp32-master-SqueezeAmp8MBFlash-v0.4.209) via serial.
    I also did a clean erase before.

When I boot squeezeamp, I see it as a hotspot; but it does not allow me to access it: 'Wrong Password'
    I used squeezelite - did you guys change the initial pw?

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Hi guys; esp @sle118:
    I just uploaded the new firmware (squeezelite-esp32-master-SqueezeAmp8MBFlash-v0.4.209) via serial.
    I also did a clean erase before.

When I boot squeezeamp, I see it as a hotspot; but it does not allow me to access it: 'Wrong Password'
    I used squeezelite - did you guys change the initial pw?
    never mind - I must have mis-typed (about 5 times....)
    Now it works!
    Heiner
    My system: LMS 7.9x on Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS; (Library on Synology NAS)
    Player: 5 x Squeezebox Classic, 1 x PiCorePlayer on Pi Zero; (1 x Slimp3)
    Remote: 1 x Controller; iOS: Material Skin (& iPeng); Android: Orange Squeeze (& Squeeze Commander); Win: Squeezelite-X

Photo of JBL SqueezeAmp Boxes

I am still crazy about this development of SqueezeAmp.
    Here is how I integrated them in some JBL Speakers.
    I changed speaker-wiring internally, so that the 'inputs' from the speaker with the SqueezeAmp and changed to be the 'outputs' for the other speaker.
    Also, I added a tiny fan next to the amp, had to desolder the optical out and reverse the speaker connectors, so everything is flush to teh back-surface of the speaker.
    They sound really nice...

Aesthetically, the inside is probably questionable (hot-glued....), but it works great and from the outside its very clean - only the hole for the power plug visible.Name:  open.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  86.2 KBName:  closed.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  101.4 KB