Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Can you confirm the distance(s) from the board edge(s) to the hole centre(s)? I've ordered some M1.6x20 countersunk pozidrive screws, and will make a version that uses a couple of these through the board holes to hold the case halves together - the countersunk heads should end up flush, and the nuts can sit in hexagonal recesses.

I think it should be easy enough to add to the length, or width, or height, to make room for some battery cells, once the basic box is working, but with so many different options of cell sizes and numbers of cells it might be better to see which options become more popular.
    1,75 mm from center to board corner (45 diagonal)
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Here's a draft that uses those PCB holes for through bolts - M1.6x20 countersunk, with hex head full nuts. I've made the holes and recesses slightly oversize so that they should take the bolts and nuts without any drilling, but I won't know for sure if they work until the bolts I've ordered arrive.

Attached Files Attached Files

Philippe

One of the projects I'm thinking about with SqueezeAMP is converting a Bluetooth speaker to LMS/Airplay. A possible candidate is the Audio Pro BT5, which is mains/Bluetooth only. I think it would be a cool upgrade to add battery/Airplay/LMS capability. It even has a switch on the back that I might be able to re-purpose to switch between 'native' capability and SqueezeAMP capabilities.

That device is described as having:
    Code:
    Digital Class D amplifier, 10W + 30W
    ¾” textile dome tweeter
    4” woofer
    I'm assuming that it has two separate amplifiers with DSP, rather than a passive crossover. So I'm wondering what the options are with SqueezeAMP to supply these two drivers. Is there a way, perhaps in LMS, to feed L+R to both channels? And is there then a way to do some basic low pass/high pass filtering such that one channel of the TI TAS575x can feed the tweeter and the other can feed the woofer? Is there capacity in the WROVER to add this type of DSP feature?

Does the TAS575x that you're using have the 'HybridFlows' option (described in e.g. this document)? If so, is there any way for the end user of a SqueezeAMP to access and configure these modes? One of them seems to target my application quite closely:

1.1 Bi-Amped, Dual Mono
    A single input signal is separated into high- and low-frequency
    content. One BTL output drives a high frequency transducer
    and the other drives a low-frequency transducer

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP and SqueezeliteESP32

It does and this is one of the reasons why I chose it. At this point, there is no interface to download flows, but that can be hacked into the code
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-09-10 at 12:41.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Great stuff. I can see SqueezeAMPs being used to drive mono 2-way speakers. I've ordered one of those BT5s and will try to learn about the internal configuration when I take the back off. With a bit of luck there'll be a suitable AC-DC converter, and a bit of space to hold a SqueezeAMP and some batteries, but if necessary I'm not averse to gutting it and maybe adding a 12V AC-DC module.

If you run short of things to program :-) you could consider adding a button interface module, along the lines of the SqueezeButtonPi daemon, so that end users can re-purpose existing hardware buttons.

Here's a draft that uses those PCB holes for through bolts - M1.6x20 countersunk, with hex head full nuts. I've made the holes and recesses slightly oversize so that they should take the bolts and nuts without any drilling, but I won't know for sure if they work until the bolts I've ordered arrive.
    don't have the screws, but the case fits well!
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by daduke View Post
    don't have the screws, but the case fits well!
    That's good. My screws arrived, and in fact, despite making the holes slightly oversize, the nuts don't fit the recesses and the heads don't finish flush. This is a typical problem when these holes are face down against the build plate - unless the printer is perfectly tuned (mine still isn't), the outer walls, especially on the first layer are often slightly oversize. I'm not convinced these tiny screws are the right approach. I might revisit a 'snap-together' method.

That's good. My screws arrived, and in fact, despite making the holes slightly oversize, the nuts don't fit the recesses and the heads don't finish flush. This is a typical problem when these holes are face down against the build plate - unless the printer is perfectly tuned (mine still isn't), the outer walls, especially on the first layer are often slightly oversize. I'm not convinced these tiny screws are the right approach. I might revisit a 'snap-together' method.
    Do we need nuts? I mean can’t we just use the material itself and have undersized holes? I know that it will not resist 10s of mounting / dismounting but is that a big deal?

Self-tappers you mean? That's a possibility, but 1.6mm is not a common screw size and it doesn't give a lot of 'bite'. I think a 'snap' case is doable, but if not, perhaps I could avoid the PCB holes, have some sort of locator at the terminals end, and make some larger screw mounts at the other end.