Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: SB3 replacement

SB3 replacement

I love my LMS/SB3/SB Touch setup in my house but thye SB3 is getting a bit long in the tooth (well the green display is).

I suppose the first question is - can the screen be swapped out and if so where and how much.

But I suppose do I look to the future and consider Pi/DAC combo. If so I would need something that has a screen basically capable of the same functionality as the SB3. I have seen full colour LCD displays for the PI but these look to be expensive and do I need anything so grandeur. I just need to be able to navigate as I do with the SB3 (well I do if I can see the screen lol).

I did think of swapping my touch in the other room (which doesnt get used much) but I did invest in a Logitech all in one remote a while back and managed to rationalise 7 remotes dwon to a single one and dont want another.

So any ideas please.

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
    I did think of swapping my touch in the other room (which doesnt get used much) but I did invest in a Logitech all in one remote a while back and managed to rationalise 7 remotes dwon to a single one and dont want another.

So any ideas please.
    Try pointing your universal remote at the Touch. It can be controlled using SB remote.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

If you want to preserve the display, you can turn brightness off and use your cell phone or tablet with Squeezebox app to control your SB3. Same app can control a future RPi player. You can also control any Squeezebox device via a web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    If you want to preserve the display, you can turn brightness off and use your cell phone or tablet with Squeezebox app to control your SB3. Same app can control a future RPi player. You can also control any Squeezebox device via a web browser.
    I run an SB3 with the screen completely off alongside an O2 Joggler flashed with SqueezeOS which I use as a now playing screen for the SB3 and occasional controller. Most control is via Smartphone
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

If this could be of general interest here, we are currently experimenting with both screen and button controls for the SqueezeAmp, which should add to its long list of features. It has an optical output, but it has an integrated amplifier as well, which means it can be used without an amplifier for a wide variety of use cases. It also has an integrated battery management system if you need that sort of portability. It is faster than a PI/DAC combo (boot to play is ~7 seconds) and supports bluetooth sink/source as well as AirPlay right out of the box.

Have a look here if you're interested!
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ifier-receiver
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    SqueezeAmp!