Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > For flashing it, you need to use, at least for the first time, a usb to
    > serial converter, but that's super easy. I think we'll be happy to do
    > the first download if needed.

I should still have one around from SB beta days. Let's see whether I
    can still get them to work with the latest macOS. Is anybody in your
    group using a Mac?
    hey Michael, long time no see!
    There's no reason the USB adapter shouldn't work, but if for some reason it doesn't, just get one off aliexpress for $3..
    -----------------------------------------------
    1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 2 x software player, LMS 7.9.0

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Here is a gerber simple PCB outline and a step model. Let me know if it helps

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8u4vw4ffd...DZatpZtba?dl=0
    The step file is perfect, thank you. Any thoughts on how tall the two heatsinks on the underside need to be? Are they the tallest parts on the underside?

Great! Yes, that's the idea to get a batch of ~30 fully assembled from my usual PCB vendor (PCBWay)
    Great! In that case, I would actually be interested in 2.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    The step file is perfect, thank you. Any thoughts on how tall the two heatsinks on the underside need to be? Are they the tallest parts on the underside?
    They are, their height is 4.8mm, so I assume they stick ~7mm above PCB. The bottom of the case is where one might want to add a fan maybe at least something like that https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...106-ND/1165500.

Although I've decided to move to a 2-LiIon battery cell and a 12V power supply to minimize heat
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Forgive me, it is absolutely not my intention to 'rain on your parade' but, just to educate me, could you explain what advantages this project would offer over a pi with a dac/amp HAT (JustBoom for example)?

Just curious
    Jerry

They are, their height is 4.8mm, so I assume they stick ~7mm above PCB. The bottom of the case is where one might want to add a fan maybe at least something like that https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...106-ND/1165500.
    Any reason why the board should not be mounted upside down, so that the heatsinks can radiate upwards, possibly through a vent in the top cover? That 16mm fan looks very compact - I'll look at making a lid that could accommodate that.

Count me in for 2 as well

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Any reason why the board should not be mounted upside down, so that the heatsinks can radiate upwards, possibly through a vent in the top cover? That 16mm fan looks very compact - I'll look at making a lid that could accommodate that.
    No reason, it can be mounted any orientation, the spdif and header for the speaker wires will be upside down, but that's no big deal IMHO
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    Forgive me, it is absolutely not my intention to 'rain on your parade' but, just to educate me, could you explain what advantages this project would offer over a pi with a dac/amp HAT (JustBoom for example)?

Just curious
    Jerry
    No worries and it's a totally valid question. You can get similar features with a Pi0 and a JustBoom AMP which are very good. You will probably get them cheaper due to volume. The few extra things that this project bring are

- analogue, spdif and amplifier in the same box
    - battery power and charge included
    - being a BT sink and an AirPlay to BT source bridge (maybe piCore does that as well, I don't know)
    - lower power (to be measured precisely) but an esp32 is probably a few ~10mA waiting wifi connection
    - fast boot (a few seconds)
    - a bit smaller
    - ... and fun

- being a BT sink and an AirPlay to BT source bridge (maybe piCore does that as well, I don't know)
    Yes pCP does BT Sink and pCP 6 will do BT source (Nothing Airplay however) Although a piZero doesn't do both BT and wifi well. How does this chipset solve wifi/BT interferance. Is it 2 different radios?

- ... and fun
    Why else!
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer