Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

UPnP/DLNA Media Interface 1.0 must listen to port 1900 with Ocean Digital WR-230S.

My Squeezebox Boom displays are dying.
    In my quest for a replacement I'm experimenting with an Ocean Digital WR-230S. If I make substantial progress, I'll start a thread on that.

For the moment, I'm just trying to get it to talk to LMS at all. And, sadly, that means UPnP.

The Ocean Digital WR-230S has a very rudimentary UPnP/DLNA implementation. It's not possible to use it as a Renderer.

Pretty much the only thing it does is send out an M-SEARCH from Port 1900 to discover any UPnP/DLNA servers.

When running Andy Grundman's UPnP/DLNA Media Interface 1.0, that M-SEARCH is ignored.

Starting at line 188 of Discovery.pl we see:

Code:
                                # DLNA 7.2.3.5, ignore M-SEARCH with source port 1900 or <1024
                                if ($port == 1900 || $port <= 1024) {
                                        $log->warn( "Ignoring illegal M-SEARCH request from $iaddr:$port (port must not be 1900 or <=1024)" );
                                        return;
    Looking at the relevant protocol document (which I found at http://docshare04.docshare.tips/file...zoom=100,0,450) in section 7.2.3.5 we see:

Comment: These guidelines are based on a Microsoft technical advisory regarding
    security concerns for UPnP.

Requirement [7.2.3.5]: UPnP devices may ignore M-SEARCH messages if the originating
    source port is less than or equal to 1024 or equal to 1900.

Oddly enough, feeding the above into google I got a pointer to a Microsoft security document at:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...windows-server

Reading the stuff that mentioned uPnP, I get the "Microsoft Windows recommendation that it's ok to turn off that sort of discovery."

I think that the UPnP server support on LMS needs to NOT ignore M-SEARCH coming in from that port, if all uPnP client devices are to be supported.

I suspect that, if one is experiencing a DOS attack from a flood of M-SEARCH requests, you need a control bit to toggle it off.

Quote Originally Posted by wcattey View Post
    My Squeezebox Boom displays are dying..
    PM JoeMuc2009 - he may be able to help. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ce-VFD-Display

Replacing the display is a real pain.

Hi bpa,

Yes, I read that thread some time ago.
    The problem goes like this: Replacement Boom units are on Ebay for $50 to %100.
    Replacement display components are tricky to order, cost $60 to buy, and are
    extremely painful to replace.

So I've been trying to find a work-alike box to get beyond the utter failure of vision on Logitech's part that caused them
    to fail to offer a follow-on product.

Worse, the pre-packaged solutions are STILL miles away from what the Boom simply does right.

Hi bpa,

So I've been trying to find a work-alike box to get beyond the utter failure of vision on Logitech's part that caused them

Worse, the pre-packaged solutions are STILL miles away from what the Boom simply does right.
    BTW, if you decide to get read of the Boom, please sell it to one of us
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Hi bpa,

Agreed Boom a great packages (already bought two spares) but I think LMS upnp will not provide what you want and you have already explored the upnp bridge which would work except for your setup.

Not great sound and no longer available new but OK as a package is Zettaly Avy (same product was sold under many names such as Aluratek Stream pro) which then can use with a Android controller/player.

edit:

Also sold as Orbsmart Soundpad
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-09-02 at 16:17.

What was repairing the display like?

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    BTW, if you decide to get read of the Boom, please sell it to one of us
    Hi Philippe,

I was planning to reach out to you.

When I re-read the display thread, I see that you actually bought a display and did the repair.

How did it work for you? Are you able to share what the replacement display cost?

There's also someone, perhaps it's JoeMuc2009, who was going to try and teach the Squeezebox to run the display in such a way that it didn't fry the tube quite so quickly.

Hi Philippe,

I was planning to reach out to you.

When I re-read the display thread, I see that you actually bought a display and did the repair.

How did it work for you? Are you able to share what the replacement display cost?

There's also someone, perhaps it's JoeMuc2009, who was going to try and teach the Squeezebox to run the display in such a way that it didn't fry the tube quite so quickly.
    I bought them through Jo, sorry I can't remember but I don't think it was super-expensive. Jo is a really great guy and his guides are extremely well done (see https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/...d-display.html). I would say that it's a reasonnable job to do, but you must have an electric de-soldering pump otherwise it's way too painful to do all the through holes. IMHO, the Boom is "worth" it
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5