Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your Best New Artist of the 21st Century To Date (2001-2019)

Hi All, on a slightly different tangent to What are your favorite albums of the year / of the last months? I thought it might be interesting to get people's feedback on who they rate as the best new artists/talent they have discovered so far this century? Say a maximum of 3 artists per person...

My first one that comes to mind is:

A Fine Frenzy (Alison Sudol)

Her first two albums especially are stand outs for me:

One Cell in the Sea (2007)
    Bomb in a Birdcage (2009)

It's a pity she has focused more on acting than music (she has only released 3 albums plus a Christmas EP, no new albums since 2012) - people who don't know her may know her from her acting, most recently as Queenie Goldstein in the Harry Potter Universe Fantastic Beasts films (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald).
    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Easy!

A grand total of zero.

[grump ... grump]
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = Still ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Easy!

A grand total of zero.

[grump ... grump]
    You really.haven't found any new artists in 20 years? You should listen to Radio Paradise more

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Your Best New Artist of the 21st CenturyTo Date (2001-2019)

One of my favourites of the last years is defenetly the album "The Boy
    Who Died Wolf" from "Highly Suspect".

Rhiannon Giddens

Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You really.haven't found any new artists in 20 years? You should listen to Radio Paradise more

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Oh yes - plenty 'new' artists. 99% range from awful to mediocre (as well as all sounding ptetty much the same) ! My memory is so shot now that I can't recall the 1% !
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = Still ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Esperanza Spalding
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

I had to check some of these to see the year of their first release. Personally, If I had to pick one it would be Kendrick Lamar followed closely by the The National and Bon Iver.

Here are my runners-up:
    Kamasi Washington
    Ryan Adams
    Eminem
    Vampire Weekend
    Kanye West
    Arcade Fire
    TV on the Radio
    James Blake

This is off the top of my head, I'm sure with more thought the list would probably expand.
    Location 1: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB > RPi3 > piCorePlayer > LMS 7.9.2 > Squeezebox Touch >NAD 326BEE > BeoLab 4000
    Location 2: Squeezebox Touch, Audio Engine A2+
    Controller: Asus Tablet > Orange Squeeze
    Music: Ripping (FLAC) dbpoweramp, Tagging: mp3tag

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Esperanza Spalding
    Nice - I have some of her early work...
    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

In no particular order:

The National
    Sharon Van Etten
    Emily Barker
    Dope Lemon

I feel there should be more... and may well be.

Honourable mention: Dido, disqualified as first release was last century (1999).
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+ currently hosting LMS, Pi 4 LMS and NAS