Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Search by surname shows no albums

Hi,

i organised my pop & rock music library in a way that artists are listed alphabetically by first name: e. g. "Bruce Springsteen" instead of "Springsteen, Bruce". I use only the artist tag, albumartist is reserved for compilations. I am happy with that. However, I noticed that I search intuitively by surname.

Here comes the problem: When I enter "Springsteen" in the search field, only albums with "springsteen" in the album name turn up and the artist. I need to search "Bruce ...", then the artist and ALL albums turn up. That is not very comfortable. Any thoughts how I can change this?

By the way: I am a newby, so bear with me...

Search by surname shows no albums

> Here comes the problem: When I enter "Springsteen" in the search field,
    > only albums with "springsteen" in the album name turn up and the artist.
    > I need to search "Bruce ...", then the artist and ALL albums turn up.
    > That is not very comfortable. Any thoughts how I can change this?

Please check your scanner.log (Settings/Information). Did the last scan
    terminate correctly? Would you have the Fulltext Search plugin enabled?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Please check your scanner.log (Settings/Information). Did the last scan
    terminate correctly? Would you have the Fulltext Search plugin enabled?

--

Michael
    Hi, I did a full complete rescan. Fulltext Search plugin is enabled. The problem is still there. I noticed the problem when using the search field of Squeeze Ctrl on my Android phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmonaut_75 View Post
    Hi,

i organised my pop & rock music library in a way that artists are listed alphabetically by first name: e. g. "Bruce Springsteen" instead of "Springsteen, Bruce". I use only the artist tag, albumartist is reserved for compilations. I am happy with that. However, I noticed that I search intuitively by surname.

Here comes the problem: When I enter "Springsteen" in the search field, only albums with "springsteen" in the album name turn up and the artist. I need to search "Bruce ...", then the artist and ALL albums turn up. That is not very comfortable. Any thoughts how I can change this?

By the way: I am a newby, so bear with me...
    If you enter springsteen in the search field, you should get a list of "Artists" with springsteen in the name?

Here's my results for a search on cohen, clicking on Leonard Cohen gives me all Leonard Cohen's albums. (Works the same for me using Squeeze Ctrl)

I also use forename first, i.e. Leonard Cohen, and I don't use the AlbumArtist tag at all. All 20,000 tracks in my library the AlbumArtist tag is empty.

Name:  search01.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  search02.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  144.0 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Don't get me wrong:

If I type "Springsteen", the result in the filter list of Sqeeze Ctrl which pops up immediately while searching is "artist: 1, albums: 0". If I choose "artist", the 7 albums will turn up in the next step. However, if I type "Bruce Springsteen", the result is "artist: 1, albums: 7". I can instantly choose the albums and don't have to click on artist first. That doesn't make sense to me.

I send some screenshots tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by kosmonaut_75 View Post
    Don't get me wrong:

If I type "Springsteen", the result in the filter list of Sqeeze Ctrl which pops up immediately while searching is "artist: 1, albums: 0". If I choose "artist", the 7 albums will turn up in the next step. However, if I type "Bruce Springsteen", the result is "artist: 1, albums: 7". I can instantly choose the albums and don't have to click on artist first. That doesn't make sense to me.

I send some screenshots tonight...
    I don't see any albums if I search for Springsteen or Bruce. I only see the Artist and Tracks which have Springsteen or Bruce in the name. Seems to me the odd thing is that you do see albums that don't actually have "Bruce" in the album name when you search for Bruce.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I don't see any albums if I search for Springsteen or Bruce. I only see the Artist and Tracks which have Springsteen or Bruce in the name. Seems to me the odd thing is that you do see albums that don't actually have "Bruce" in the album name when you search for Bruce.
    There's is a difference in how FTS's results are presented depending on how much results there are (IIRC). If there's a lot of results, the results are limited to the important tags. If there only a few results, the range of tags used is expanded.

Again, that's how I remember it, I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, well, better rely on how Michael explained how FTS prioritize results: click me
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2019-08-17 at 11:38. Reason: added link
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.09.8 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4