Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Problem with Browsing under 7.9.2

I have a SqueezeBox Classic and am currently running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1565627154 @ Mon Aug 12 18:46:07 CEST 2019 under Ubuntu 18.04.1 and have noticed a few issues lately.

First some basic info about my library. It is made up of MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC files with consistent tagging (ID3v2.4) using the ARTIST tag formatted as Last, First for the primary performer. My default browse mode is now by Album Artists. The library is cleared and rescanned daily. The library statistics are:
    Total Tracks: 167,582
    Total Albums: 14,380
    Total Artists: 8,226
    Total Genres: 46
    Total Playing Time: 14307:07:53

1. Despite having the option of both Album Artists and Artists under Additional Browse Modes, the only one that ever appears under "My Music" is Album Artists. This has been going on for months, but until recently Album Artists has been useful despite having the tag ALBUMARTIST (or any of its variants) removed from every file.

2. In the last few days (it may have been going on longer) I've found that certain Artists no longer appear under their initial letter when I try and browse by Album Artists. I recently added the Woodstock 50 compilation in FLAC to the library and discovered that the vast majority of the individual artists (as identified in the the tag ARTIST) from that album now appear in the C's - "Ten Years After", "Butterfield, Paul", "Sly and the Family Stone" and others now appear sorted between Chilliwack and Chopin while "Cocker, Joe" is nowhere to be seen under either Album Artists or All Artists, tho he is found if I search!

Are there issues with libraries of this size? Suggestions??

Much thanx for any help.

The first thing I would do, in your position, is to do a mini-"clear cache", just to get a completely clean set of database files:

Stop LMS
    Go to the folder containing the cache files (see Settings/Information for location)
    Delete the files with file extensions .db, .db-shm, .db-wal
    Restart LMS
    A full scan will automatically start and files will be re-created.

Then see whether the issue is resolved.
    Last edited by JohnB; 2019-08-13 at 13:03.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

That seems to have resolved the second problem - things seem to be properly sorted today.

The first problem remains, however, as I still do not have the ability to browse by ARTIST no matter which modes I select under Additional Browse Modes.

Thanx for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInSidney View Post
    That seems to have resolved the second problem - things seem to be properly sorted today.

The first problem remains, however, as I still do not have the ability to browse by ARTIST no matter which modes I select under Additional Browse Modes.

Thanx for your help!
    What do you see at LMS > Settings > My Music?

Name:  mymusic.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  42.1 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

And that resolves issue #1 - I had it set as 2 separate lists.

Much thanx to all for the rapid responses and spot-on suggestions.