Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I run a small 5v fan at 3.3 volts..... plenty of cooling
    https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case

The lads at flirc appear to use the entire Aluminium case top as a heast sink. I have one on order I will let you know how it goes.
    2 Chan. System
    SB3->Benchmark DAC-1-> Bryston(BP-25,3B)->PMC TB2
    Home Theater System
    SB2-> Bryston(SP1,4B,4B,2B,2B)-> PSB Stratus Goldi
    Basement System
    Duet-> Parasound Preamp (carver M1.0t) ->Klipsch La Scala's
    Bedroom System
    SB2-> Sony BoomBox
    Rear Deck/Patio
    Duet-> Yamaha Reciever-> PSB Mini's,
    Office
    Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen
    Squeeze Radio
    Ensuite
    Squeeze Radio

Quote Originally Posted by gustavm View Post
    Hi

I have been running LMS on a Pi2 for a number of years. Has worked reliably but quite slow to update after adding new FLAC files, and sometimes not quite as responsive as I'd like. I had been thinking of changing to a Pi3, but now that the Pi4 is available was wondering about that.

Should it just work fine on that with most recent LMS version, or are there any differences I need to take note of?

I'm not very Linux savvy, in the past have just followed the various instruction threads.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Been running LMS on a PI3 for quite sometime. Scans are slow as music library is not local to the Pi but located on a NAS , and Pi 3 network interface speed is limited. What I thought was slow search times etc. actually turned out to be my Squeeze Ctrl remote control app. When searching directly from the browser everything is pretty snappy. I am interested in finding out if the additional RAM on the Pi4 can be utilized by LMS with a dedicated install.

Running a later nightly build on top of Max2play with at least 6 players scattered throughout the house.
    2 Chan. System
    Home Theater System
    Basement System
    Bedroom System
    SB2-> Sony BoomBox
    Rear Deck/Patio
    Office
    Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen
    Squeeze Radio
    Ensuite
    Squeeze Radio

Quote Originally Posted by sfraser View Post
    Been running LMS on a PI3 for quite sometime. Scans are slow as music library is not local to the Pi but located on a NAS , and Pi 3 network interface speed is limited. What I thought was slow search times etc. actually turned out to be my Squeeze Ctrl remote control app. When searching directly from the browser everything is pretty snappy. I am interested in finding out if the additional RAM on the Pi4 can be utilized by LMS with a dedicated install.

Running a later nightly build on top of Max2play with at least 6 players scattered throughout the house.
    With a Pi4 and files on a NAS mounted by NFS the scan time is appreciably quicker than a Pi3 in similar mode. This is with the db on the Pi not on the NAS.
    That said a Pi4 is not as quick as an old HP Microserver with SSD for the OS and db but files on the NAs via NFS. Its the SSD which stores the db that makes most difference.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    With a Pi4 and files on a NAS mounted by NFS the scan time is appreciably quicker than a Pi3 in similar mode. This is with the db on the Pi not on the NAS.
    That said a Pi4 is not as quick as an old HP Microserver with SSD for the OS and db but files on the NAs via NFS. Its the SSD which stores the db that makes most difference.
    Agreed, the Max2play installs the db files local to microSD as well. Long scans are not really an issue if general search and play and multicast functions are snappy, which they are on the Pi3.

Scott
    2 Chan. System
    Home Theater System
    Basement System
    Bedroom System
    SB2-> Sony BoomBox
    Rear Deck/Patio
    Office
    Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen
    Squeeze Radio
    Ensuite
    Squeeze Radio

From what menu in settings we set the dbase to be written in microSD?
    Thnx!
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi3b(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](piCore)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E
    Head-Fi: Schiit Vali2/Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Alum/Audeze Sine.
    Aditional HW: Allo DigiOne, iFi iDefender, iPurifier, iPower

Quote Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
    From what menu in settings we set the dbase to be written in microSD?
    Thnx!
    The microSD card is the default location for the LMS cache. But you can move it to an attached USB drive if you wish.

pCP > LMS page:

Name:  microSD.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  45.3 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b6 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    The microSD card is the default location for the LMS cache. But you can move it to an attached USB drive if you wish.

pCP > LMS page:

Name:  microSD.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  45.3 KB
    Thanks a lot!!
    So if we move the data from sd card to usb the scanning might be faster?
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi3b(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](piCore)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E
    Head-Fi: Schiit Vali2/Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Alum/Audeze Sine.
    Aditional HW: Allo DigiOne, iFi iDefender, iPurifier, iPower

Depends on what your USB device is.... If it's a USB3 SSD, then perhaps.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Morning All

I’ve just discovered this thread so I thought I’d chime in with my Pi4/LMS experience.
    I have been running LMS (Max2Play) on a Pi3 for a about 18 months and it’s worked very well. The music is stored on a Nas and I regularly use the Spotty and iPlayer plugins. I’d say that there were sometimes small delays when browsing through my music collection but never anything to worry about.

However, when the Pi4 was released temptation got the better of me so I went ahead and purchased the 4gb version. I loaded up Max2Play (v2.5 beta) and away it went although this time feeling a good deal quicker than before. I haven’t carried out any specific measurements but I’d say the scanning isn’t much quicker than with the Pi3 which I guess is a limitation of the Nas arrangement I have. The day to day browsing is quicker though. I’m not sure whether the extra memory (4gb) is making a big difference or not, I have tweaked the ‘Database Memory Config’ in the Performance tab of LMS so perhaps the extra capacity is being used?

I store my Pi4 in a smallish cupboard which also houses my Nas, a network switch and also my broadband fibre modem. This creates a fairly warm environment for the Pi4. Initially I didn’t buy any kind of case and opted to see how it operated ‘naked’. Running purely as an LMS server it showed a temperature of around 62c at idle. This number was taken from the Max2Play ‘settings/reboot’ screen so I assume it to be accurate. This seemed a bit high for my liking so I looked around for a case without a fan as I didn’t want to create any more noise. I settled on this cheapo case….

Name:  geekworm2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  20.5 KB

Which is availible here

It is also available on Amazon but I opted to import it from China (I think) for about £10. It’s been successful as the Pi4 now idles at about 48c.
    So all in all I’d say my Pi4 experience has been positive. I should stress that there was no real need to upgrade from the Pi3 as it was working perfectly but that’s not really the point 😊

I’m wondering now how much better it would/could perform if I attach my music files directly to the USB port………

Cheers
    Ashley
    Last edited by acanning; 2019-08-17 at 01:19.

Results of scan times below.
    Top picture is with music files on a USB SSD drive.
    Bottom picture, exactly the same library stored on a WDmycloud NAS, same RPi running piCorePlayer 6.0.0.

Name:  scanSSD.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  scanNAS.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  61.2 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b6 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi