Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LMS on Raspberry Pi4

Hi

I have been running LMS on a Pi2 for a number of years. Has worked reliably but quite slow to update after adding new FLAC files, and sometimes not quite as responsive as I'd like. I had been thinking of changing to a Pi3, but now that the Pi4 is available was wondering about that.

Should it just work fine on that with most recent LMS version, or are there any differences I need to take note of?

I'm not very Linux savvy, in the past have just followed the various instruction threads.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Quote Originally Posted by gustavm View Post
    Hi

I have been running LMS on a Pi2 for a number of years. Has worked reliably but quite slow to update after adding new FLAC files, and sometimes not quite as responsive as I'd like. I had been thinking of changing to a Pi3, but now that the Pi4 is available was wondering about that.

Should it just work fine on that with most recent LMS version, or are there any differences I need to take note of?

I'm not very Linux savvy, in the past have just followed the various instruction threads.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Do you run picoreplayer at the moment ?

There are reports on here that say pcp 6.0.1 runs LMS well on Pi4 and is fast

Heat has been discussed as well due to the Pi4's CPU

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Hi

rpi4 user here.

The only drawback at the moment is the heat. Static pi runs at 60C or so and this increases with work load.

A naked pi should have no problem with LMS and Squeezelite, unlikely to throttle I would think.

There a cases (flicr being one and others being developed) and fans.

I have a Pimoroni shim-fan which is a bit temperamental with it's bloody led light but works well.

There is a script for raspbian, but used with pCP, it just runs all the time, baby! like a battery rabbit

I mostly use the Raspbian desktop and last week built a Spotify-Connect client on the pi using librespot.

At times the cpu was showing 100% use but the tem never went above 65C thanks to the fan.

It's good fun

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Do you run picoreplayer at the moment ?

There are reports on here that say pcp 6.0.1 runs LMS well on Pi4 and is fast

Heat has been discussed as well due to the Pi4's CPU

Jeff
    No I use a separate device in another room for streaming to an external DAC, so only looking to run LMS on this device. In view of the heat dissipation, maybe I should consider a Pi3 instead. I think this should give a substantial improvement over a Pi2?

No I use a separate device in another room for streaming to an external DAC, so only looking to run LMS on this device. In view of the heat dissipation, maybe I should consider a Pi3 instead. I think this should give a substantial improvement over a Pi2?
    I bought one of these cases for a Pi4, keeps temp down to 40░C (ambient 24░C). With music on an SSD, it flies.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

And the noise level?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    And the noise level?
    I didn't particularly want a case with a fan, but this is just a stop gap until something more to my liking comes along. I'd retired the Pi4 to my spares drawer, but it seemed a pity to waste it, hence the purchase.
    Noise-wise I'd say it's whisper quiet, but then it's in the same room as my PC, which has a case fan going constantly.
    But even when I turn the PC off, I need to put my ear to within inches of the Pi case to hear anything.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

I run a small 5v fan at 3.3 volts..... plenty of cooling
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

I am interested too on LMS on rpi4 and the potential thermal issues...
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi3b(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](piCore)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E
    Head-Fi: Schiit Vali2/Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Alum/Audeze Sine.
    Aditional HW: Allo DigiOne, iFi iDefender, iPurifier, iPower

The latest Pi3 (Pi3B+ I believe) works very well as a server, I have built 3 now for friends

However the case that Kidstypike has used for the Pi4 looks good if you're only after a server and can put it where the small amount of noise will not be a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using the Pi4 does have benefits of speed of CPU,Ethernet and USB
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS