Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lee-On-The-Solent, UK
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Also look here

    http://www.2l.no/hires/

    and download a file , put it in your LMS library and try playing it through the SBT.
    ronnie
    Thanks for the tip. So it would appear to be the Tidal plug-in not playing ball with MQA, as my Oppo is reporting "LPCM 2.0 88.2K ... MQA Studio(OFS 352.8KHz)". Not sure what OFS is....but it would seem that the SBT is itself, for now, a keeper. Suits me.

    So unless the plug-in gets upgraded for MQA, I would seem to need another way of accessing/navigating Tidal which can use the SBT as the player. I've started reading up on Roon, which I understand would regard the SBT as an "endpoint". But I'm not clear on whether all navigation then has to be done within the Roon UI on, say, a laptop, or if I could navigate using the SBT screen and IR remote. And then there's the question of whether Roon can replicate the Custom Browse functionality of SB..... More digging I shall do elsewhere.
    SB Touch (non-EDO), wired network to QNAP TS-112P with FLAC/MP3/TIDAL and running LMS 7.7.2, S/PDIF to Oppo UDP-205

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,314
    Weird because my DACs all remain running and locked because the SBT keeps spdif output running at the last used clock rate until the next track is required, outputting digital zero for the duration. Are you switching sample rate between tracks?


    Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    2,829
    Quote Originally Posted by losinj View Post
    So it would appear to be the Tidal plug-in not playing ball with MQA, ............So unless the plug-in gets upgraded for MQA, I would seem to need another way of accessing/navigating Tidal which can use the SBT as the player.

    I have half remembered rememberings that tha API supplied by Tidal does not permitt MQA. A search, here on the forum might confirm this, or not.

    Also I'm sure I read somewhere that Tidal do (or did) not want people streaming MQA via wireless from their web but required one to use a physical connection. Again this might me a mis-remembering

    ronnie

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lee-On-The-Solent, UK
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Weird because my DACs all remain running and locked because the SBT keeps spdif output running at the last used clock rate until the next track is required, outputting digital zero for the duration. Are you switching sample rate between tracks?


    Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    Sample rates are the same. My previous DAC (in my Arcam AVR350) also gave no problems at the beginning of tracks. Seems to be something odd about the Oppo, as also reported in Archimago's Musings:
    "On a side technical note, I noticed that the S/PDIF interface incorporates a muting mechanism when it detects something like 0.5 seconds of silence. Presumably this is to prevent sudden pops. This played havok with the synthetic test signals so I had to add some creative low-level noise into the RightMark test signal to "wake up" the DAC strategically! Should not be a problem playing real music..."
    ...My experience would seem to disprove that theory.
    SB Touch (non-EDO), wired network to QNAP TS-112P with FLAC/MP3/TIDAL and running LMS 7.7.2, S/PDIF to Oppo UDP-205

  5. #15
    Senior Member Stratmangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rossendale UK
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by losinj View Post
    The title of my post might be inappropriate since I'm not sure if it's my Touch, or a new DAC.

    Since I upgraded my DAC, tracks which normally start abruptly now fade in over a few tenths of a second, missing the first transient or beat. It's the same over S/PDIF and TOSLINK (I've not installed the EDO applet to try USB). Is there perhaps something the Touch does with the start of tracks which some DACs could be sensitive to? There have been no changes to the audio settings on the Touch. All files were ripped to FLAC using dBpoweramp CD Ripper.
    If it was fine with your old DAC then the bit you've changed is the cause of the problem.
    From the description you've given, the new DAC detects silence and muting relays kick in.

    Calling the DAC change an upgrade is possibly misplaced?

    As a side note, my last DAC has muting relays, but it kicked in rapidly, and it could be heard as a pop if there is an abrupt stop.
    Not a problem if there's sound, because no matter how startling a recorded sound is, it has a rise time, and if it stops quickly there is decay time.
    The problem used to manifest itself in "silence", and did so when there was a change in level from tape noise floor and digital noise floor - I ended up editing out the digital noise floor sections, and the problem went away.
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 2019-08-11 at 05:02.
    Chris :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •