Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Touch misses first beat

The title of my post might be inappropriate since I'm not sure if it's my Touch, or a new DAC.

Since I upgraded my DAC, tracks which normally start abruptly now fade in over a few tenths of a second, missing the first transient or beat. It's the same over S/PDIF and TOSLINK (I've not installed the EDO applet to try USB). Is there perhaps something the Touch does with the start of tracks which some DACs could be sensitive to? There have been no changes to the audio settings on the Touch. All files were ripped to FLAC using dBpoweramp CD Ripper.
    SB Touch (non-EDO), wired network to QNAP TS-112P with FLAC/MP3/TIDAL and running LMS 7.7.2, S/PDIF to Oppo UDP-205

Check your player audio options in LMS > Settings. Sounds like crossfade is turned on.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Crossfade (Fade In) happens over a much longer period, so it's not that. Also I can go back to my old DAC and immediately there is no fade-in issue.
    SB Touch (non-EDO), wired network to QNAP TS-112P with FLAC/MP3/TIDAL and running LMS 7.7.2, S/PDIF to Oppo UDP-205

That would suggest the new dac is the culprit.

You can try the spdif outlets on the SBT from within the EDO applet. I have no idea if that will make any difference.

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    You can try the spdif outlets on the SBT from within the EDO applet.
    Thanks, Ronnie, I will give your suggestion a try. If there is still an issue then at least I should be in a position to try USB, as the Oppo has a USB DAC input.

I didn't really want, or need, to connect the SBT by USB permanently, as I don't have any tracks above 96/24, and I thought it would mean having to do without its analogue output, which currently I feed to a separate zone. Also I thought the SBT prevented full decoding and rendering of Tidal Masters, which the Oppo is equipped to do when I stream to it from a pc. I guess I would only need to swap the USB lead over, but then I thought the SBT required the USB DAC to be connected and switched on permanently, to avoid issues caused by hot-swapping. Or are my beliefs outdated? Sorry, getting a bit off-topic.

The SBT may just pass through the digital stream via usb, try it and see.

I've not used EDO and SBT for a long while, if you just pull the usb, you may have to restart the SBT or the DAC when you reconnect, I can't remember, sorry

ronnie

With EDO installed the fade-in is still present on the S/PDIF connection. Over USB, it is not (as with a pc connected), so the problem does appear to be with the Oppo. I since came across similar findings by an online reviewer

Sadly the SBT is not bit perfect for passing MQA over USB, as the Oppo still reports Red Book. Such a shame if this means the SBT's days are numbered, as I really, really love the immediacy of having the screen and being able to use an IR remote. The market seems to expect us to want to reach for our phones or computing devices. Also its ability to read custom tags to build custom indexes and display locally-stored music in menus the way I want it. Most music players seem to have fixed or inflexible UIs. Call me a Luddite
    Last edited by losinj; 2019-08-08 at 16:38.

That's why I'm looking into a pi with touchscreen and justboom remote. Most things you do with remote is start/stop/ pause, skip track and volume. Only challenge is finding a decent case for combo pi, screen and dac....
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by losinj View Post

Sadly the SBT is not bit perfect for passing MQA over USB, as the Oppo still reports Red Book.

Dear Luddite

have a bit of a search (maybe drop leftchannel a pm).

I searched for

tidal mqa logitech media server
    Also look here

http://www.2l.no/hires/

and download a file , put it in your LMS library and try playing it through the SBT.

I'm not too sure if you will need any DSD plugins enabled.

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2019-08-09 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    That's why I'm looking into a pi with touchscreen and justboom remote. Most things you do with remote is start/stop/ pause, skip track and volume. Only challenge is finding a decent case for combo pi, screen and dac....
    Seem to be a number of options here: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspb...c-660.html?p=4 ...?
    Last edited by losinj; 2019-08-09 at 10:06.