Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I'm not sure that it could be called "the best audiophile hardware" (whatever that means) but I have finally plumped for the Allo Digione Signature, mainly because the options of how to set it up have been running round in my mind for a few days. Having said that, I suspect the Signature with a battery pack power supply might well give the Metrum Ambre a run for its money.

    Initially I will use the (crappy) battery pack for the clean side but move to a LiFePo 6.6V (2S2P) battery pack with a XT60 termination (for the charger) -> a XT60 to 5.5/2.5 lead -> Allo's 5.5/2.5 to USB-C connector.

    There is a German specialist supplier of Lithium batteries who makes custom battery packs to customer's specifications, for a price. (I had considered buying the "A123 Systems ANR26650M1B" LiFePo cells and making the pack myself.)

    This is definitely not a cheap option once you add it various bits and bobs - even before the LiFePo battery pack and charger.
    Let us know, how this works for you!

    I like what Allo is doing for the RPi -- I have been using the Digione since it first came out. I also researched the 'Signature' Version. I believe that there is room for improvement with the Signature version, mostly in the Packaging. I was thinking that a Separate Chassis for the dual power supplies with an 'Umbilical Cord' to the RPi -- Or maybe an Completely Upgraded 'AudioPhile' Case to house everything in a Much neater Package... I am going to wait on Allo for a Future version myself.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Fahzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I'm not sure that it could be called "the best audiophile hardware" (whatever that means) but I have finally plumped for the Allo Digione Signature, mainly because the options of how to set it up have been running round in my mind for a few days. Having said that, I suspect the Signature with a battery pack power supply might well give the Metrum Ambre a run for its money.

    Initially I will use the (crappy) battery pack for the clean side but move to a LiFePo 6.6V (2S2P) battery pack with a XT60 termination (for the charger) -> a XT60 to 5.5/2.5 lead -> Allo's 5.5/2.5 to USB-C connector.

    There is a German specialist supplier of Lithium batteries who makes custom battery packs to customer's specifications, for a price. (I had considered buying the "A123 Systems ANR26650M1B" LiFePo cells and making the pack myself.)

    This is definitely not a cheap option once you add it various bits and bobs - even before the LiFePo battery pack and charger.
    You are aware of the Shanti dual power supply which solves the battery problem (for a price)? It's on the Allo webpage. It's new, so I wanted to make sure you saw it.

    Digione user here. Can't say enough good things about it.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Asus RT-N56U

  3. #23
    Senior Member bakker_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kwaadmechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I'm not sure that it could be called "the best audiophile hardware" (whatever that means) but I have finally plumped for the Allo Digione Signature, mainly because the options of how to set it up have been running round in my mind for a few days. Having said that, I suspect the Signature with a battery pack power supply might well give the Metrum Ambre a run for its money.

    Initially I will use the (crappy) battery pack for the clean side but move to a LiFePo 6.6V (2S2P) battery pack with a XT60 termination (for the charger) -> a XT60 to 5.5/2.5 lead -> Allo's 5.5/2.5 to USB-C connector.

    There is a German specialist supplier of Lithium batteries who makes custom battery packs to customer's specifications, for a price. (I had considered buying the "A123 Systems ANR26650M1B" LiFePo cells and making the pack myself.)

    This is definitely not a cheap option once you add it various bits and bobs - even before the LiFePo battery pack and charger.
    Just dropping this here ;-)
    https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/...-supplies.html
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

  4. #24
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Now, now, let's not confuse the issue with facts.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Now, now, let's not confuse the issue with facts.
    You both might well be right, however Allo do state "We do recommend the cleanest power supply possible [for the clean boards]
    (batteries, linear but even a good SMPS will work)"

    [] = my insertion.

    I'm just following their advice, for what it's worth.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    You both might well be right, however Allo do state "We do recommend the cleanest power supply possible [for the clean boards]
    (batteries, linear but even a good SMPS will work)"
    Fair enough - the implication is that they either skimped on proper power supply filtering or are just feeding the audiophile belief system.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    50
    I have a question about what types of files can be played on the RPi transports discussed here. I'm looking for a LMS solution that supports DSD128 and up.

    Recently I was using a Logitech Touch with the optical port going to my Denon AVR X3400. I thought it sounded pretty good. I knew that when playing a high res file like a DSD64/128 it had to downsample in order so sent it via SPDIF. I assumed that my system was too modest to tell the difference. Boy, was I wrong. I happened to play a DSD file via the Denon Heos app that controls the Denon player directly and there was an obvious improvement in sound quality. Playing the DSD "natively" that wasn't converted for SPDIF made a noticeable improvement. Heos, however doesn't have a very good GUI and has to be run from a phone or tablet.

    Hence, my quest to find a LMS solution that can play DSD128 or even DSD128 over DoP.

    I'm currently using a RPi 3B. I had intermittent success with using USB out to my DAC - but that only supports DSD64. I'm now using a IQAudio DAC Pro hat. Again, this only plays DSD64 and I prefer my external DAC to IQAudio.

    Anyone know of a solution that doesn't use SPDIF? Maybe a USB output?
    Last edited by tjp888; 2019-09-07 at 15:28.

  8. #28
    Senior Member DomieMic65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Athens Greece
    Posts
    144
    For DSD you have to use USB to a DSD capable DAC. RPi/LMS/piCore can play DSD without problem.
    I followed Soundchecks blog for the proper settings and with some trial and error I managed to play up to 128 in DoP. My main DAC is supposed to play native too but I didn't manage to do it. In another DAC (iFi xDSD) I use I did.
    I am not sure but I think in DoP mode up to DSD 128 is supported but in native mode it can go higher. 256 for sure. For all the above you must have the proper DAC of course!
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi3b(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](piCore)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E
    Head-Fi: Schiit Vali2/Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Alum/Audeze Sine.
    Aditional HW: Allo DigiOne, iFi iDefender, iPurifier, iPower

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
    For DSD you have to use USB to a DSD capable DAC. RPi/LMS/piCore can play DSD without problem.
    I followed Soundchecks blog for the proper settings and with some trial and error I managed to play up to 128 in DoP. My main DAC is supposed to play native too but I didn't manage to do it. In another DAC (iFi xDSD) I use I did.
    I am not sure but I think in DoP mode up to DSD 128 is supported but in native mode it can go higher. 256 for sure. For all the above you must have the proper DAC of course!
    I was also following the Soundcheck blog. But, I was only able to play DSD64 files. The RPi was connected to a PS Audio Sprout with an USB iPurifier. The Sprout requires DoP when using the USB input for DSD files. But, after me twiddling with the squeezelite settings in trying to get DSD128 to work I somehow messed all up. Now when playing any DSD files I hear crackling.

    But, you say you have had DSD128 files playing on the RPi. So, now I know it's possible. Just maybe not with the Sprout.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    2,919
    @tjp888 & @DomieMic65


    I don't use DSD files , but if one scrolls through this thread, from this post onward, one may (or not) find some of the information useful.


    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post946873


    all the best

    ronnie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •