Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uPnp vs piCore

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Plus ... there are plugins for LMS to allow it to interoperate with UPnP-AV devices
    That is of course true however of all Phillipeís excellent plugins upnpbridge is the one thatís least likely to work the way you want. Thatís no sleight on phillipeís code, itís the fact that upnp devices donít conform to any published standard and no two such devices quite work in the same way.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

To be honest in the setups I had been using upnp, I never had some kind of strange problem because of upnp anyway.
    Now ever since it is not necessary for the system to work I donít see a reason to use it.
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi3b(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](piCore)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E
    Head-Fi: Schiit Vali2/Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Alum/Audeze Sine.
    Aditional HW: Allo DigiOne, iFi iDefender, iPurifier, iPower

If you have an IP connected TV or Cinema Amp then you might find UPnP-AV as one way of having them join in.
    Of course, putting a player beside/behind the TV and connecting it up is another way ... or finding that the TV/Amp has Chromecast or AirPlay built-in brings even more ways.
    Basically there are numerous ways to do this sort of stuff nowadays.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Personally I am interested in audio so all these features are good to know that they exist but no need for them ... for now anyway!!
    I am using a Chromecast though mainly for Netflix and YouTube
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi3b(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](piCore)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E

Coming back to the thread..
    I saw that apart from UPnP there is also UPnP AV protocol.
    This is supposed to be optimized for AV applications.. no? Any comments about the differences to the "plain" UPnP?

My question as I said before is that it seems strange to me that many expensive high end audiophile servers rely on this protocol and not squeezelite.

UPnP is a family of protocols - and UPnP-AV is the family member used by the audio/visual industry.
    When your device - such as a TV - lists UPnP it almost certainly means UPnP-AV.

The Squeezelite protocol is proprietary and published. It needs LMS server (or ~100% compatible) to be installed in the home network.
    Most homes do not have one.
    Some NAS (file servers) have it - but many more have a UPnP-AV server (such as Twonky) or the one that is built into MS Windows or perhaps Plex.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    UPnP is a family of protocols - and UPnP-AV is the family member used by the audio/visual industry.
    When your device - such as a TV - lists UPnP it almost certainly means UPnP-AV.

The Squeezelite protocol is proprietary and published. It needs LMS server (or ~100% compatible) to be installed in the home network.
    Most homes do not have one.
    Some NAS (file servers) have it - but many more have a UPnP-AV server (such as Twonky) or the one that is built into MS Windows or perhaps Plex.
    I see... Thank you for clarifying.
    And now the question is apart from features that obviously there are many and different to each approach.

What about sound?

Also UPnP needs MPD for reproduction of sound yes? Is there any other way that does not use MPD?

Quote Originally Posted by DomieMic65 View Post
    I see... Thank you for clarifying.
    And now the question is apart from features that obviously there are many and different to each approach.

What about sound?
    In broad terms ... it is the same bits that are transmitted to the device that is playing the audio.
    Provided the rendering device can support the codec/bitrate etc.
    The LMS set-up (including with plugins) is more sophisticated and can do a good job in handling all sorts of source files - and transcoding them if needed - and syncing playback devices ... which it can also do if the player is using UPnP-AV.

Also UPnP needs MPD for reproduction of sound yes? Is there any other way that does not use MPD?
    Not really. There are plenty of different UPnP-AV "renderers" (players).
    For example - see non-exhaustive and long list at
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...layer_software
    Internet-enabled TVs/AV kit/Hifi often have UPnP-AV renderers built in.
    However, while the specification is a published standard and large it also has a lot of options. One thing that we know from standards is that where there are a lot of options there can also be interoperability issues even where there are basic profiles.
    Paul Webster