Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Mint or Ubuntu

Mint or Ubuntu

I'm sure I've asked this before, but can't find any previous content of mine other than about piCorePlayer and pi4, so apologies.

With a view to windows 7 support ending, I've got a few months to decide whether to use one of those Linux systems or upgrade to or buy a new PC with windows 10.

What is the difference between ubuntu and Mint ? Absolutely crucially, which is best to use a Squeezebox ?

I downloaded a copy of Mint a few months ago, and I've been looking at it on my old XP laptop ( on a flash drive and disabled from the web ).

I know people prefer ubuntu, and others prefer Mint.

Quote Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
    I'm sure I've asked this before, but can't find any previous content of mine other than about piCorePlayer and pi4, so apologies.

With a view to windows 7 support ending, I've got a few months to decide whether to use one of those Linux systems or upgrade to or buy a new PC with windows 10.

What is the difference between ubuntu and Mint ? Absolutely crucially, which is best to use a Squeezebox ?

I downloaded a copy of Mint a few months ago, and I've been looking at it on my old XP laptop ( on a flash drive and disabled from the web ).

I know people prefer ubuntu, and others prefer Mint.
    I run ubuntu, but it's completely personal preference. I also do not use the .deb packages, I run directly from git source. I also run from a custom perl, that way I don't get screwed up when the OS packagers decide to change the perl.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

I switched to desktop Linux about 1 year ago. I tried several distros and was very impressed with Mint. It looks good out of the box and it's easy to customize the looks and behavior to fit your personal preferences. It has been rock solid for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Blue Ego View Post
    I switched to desktop Linux about 1 year ago. I tried several distros and was very impressed with Mint. It looks good out of the box and it's easy to customize the looks and behavior to fit your personal preferences. It has been rock solid for me.
    I just installed mint xfce, and that went fine, but I need some advice on how to setup samba, DNS, etc., so that I can copy my music from my existing Win box to the linux box.

I installed Manjaro on a different box, and the default networking stuff is a little more useful, but I can't find any info how to install LMS on Manjaro.
    SB3 > adcom gtp500ii > adcom gfa555mkii -> 12 ga monoprice -> nothing (psb image t6 on the way)

Quote Originally Posted by jmx View Post
    I just installed mint xfce, and that went fine, but I need some advice on how to setup samba, DNS, etc., so that I can copy my music from my existing Win box to the linux box.

I installed Manjaro on a different box, and the default networking stuff is a little more useful, but I can't find any info how to install LMS on Manjaro.
    Manjaro seems to be Arch-based, so you'll probably need an AUR- package (e.g. this one https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/logitechmediaserver/) or follow the instructions dating back to LMS on the wandboard, where the Community OS was also Arch-based
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...