Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Debian / OMV installation - location of cache...

Hello!

New installation of openmediavault; installed LMS 7.9.1 flawlessly.
    I want to move the location of the cache to other drive; tried editing server.pref without luck, broke LMS requiring new installation...

Somewhere i stumbled across a reference til specifying the cachedir by adding an argument via command line ??? It this possible in linux??

Any help appreciated - i should add that my linux skills are limited, so...

Quote Originally Posted by THildebrandt View Post
    New installation of openmediavault; installed LMS 7.9.1 flawlessly.
    I want to move the location of the cache to other drive; tried editing server.pref without luck, broke LMS requiring new installation...
    setting cachedir in server.pref isn't a good idea, as it will most likely be ignored since a command line argument (which the start script will pass) will have precedence.

Somewhere i stumbled across a reference til specifying the cachedir by adding an argument via command line ??? It this possible in linux??
    Yes, the --cachedir option. However, the default start script will already set this, so you should configure the script instead of doing anything manual.
    For debian / ubuntu, the file to edit would be /etc/default/logitechmediaserver
    e.g.
    Code:
    CACHEDIR=/var/lib/logitechmediaserver/cache

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    For debian / ubuntu, the file to edit would be /etc/default/logitechmediaserver
    /etc/default/logitechmediaserver edited from

Code:
    # User to run Logitech Media Server as
    SLIMUSER=squeezeboxserver

SLIMOPTIONS=""
    to

Code:

SLIMOPTIONS=""
    CACHEDIR=/new location/logitechmediaserver/cache
    restarted the service - and initiated a rescan of music, still the old cache was used.

Then tried

Code:

SLIMOPTIONS="CACHEDIR=/new location/logitechmediaserver/cache"
    and still the old cache is used...

Suggestions??

Thx!

Once i got rid of the spelling errors this seems to work:

Code:

SLIMOPTIONS=""
    CACHEDIR=/new location/logitechmediaserver/cache
    Thank you!

Looks like it didnt work after all...

Thinking i could remove the old cachedir now that a new has been definded (copied the old to the new location, of course) i now get this result when initiating scan of my music library:

Code:
     service logitechmediaserver status
    ● logitechmediaserver.service - LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: active (running) since Fri 2019-08-23 15:30:26 CEST; 36s ago
         Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
      Process: 31004 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Process: 31192 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
       CGroup: /system.slice/logitechmediaserver.service
               ├─30696 /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner --priority=0 --logconfig=/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/log.conf --noimage --logdir=/var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --prefsdir=/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --novideo --rescan --debug scan.import=ERROR,scan.auto=DEBUG,artwork=ERROR,database.info=ERROR,scan=ERROR,scan.scanner=ERROR /srv/NASDATA01/MUSIK
               ├─31198 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver_safe /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /srv/NASDATA01/SQUEEZEBOXSERVER/CACHE --charset=utf8
               ├─31216 /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /srv/NASDATA01/SQUEEZEBOXSERVER/CACHE --charset=utf8
               └─31217 sleep 5
    The correct new cachedir is stated correctly, but still the scanner fails... And LMS is unresponsive... until i stop service -> copy cachedir back to /var/lib/squeexeboxserver -> start service again...

Hmm!!

Suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by THildebrandt View Post
    Suggestions??
    Check the LMS server / scanner log (WebUI > Sessings > Information)

What file system is the cache on? Looks like a remote one - never a good idea (slow, potentially unstable due to network fluctuations - if it's SMB, even more problematic).
    Finally, check permissions on this file system for the LMS user.

Just had to reinstall LMS - was hanging and using 100% cpu...

Just reinstalled - will try again and check LMS server / scanner log....

Did check server.prefs - looks like the sqlite db location still is the old cache dir; this copuld be the cause of the problem???

Finally - cache is relocated til encrypted drive on the same server, so... Will (try to) check lms user permissions for this drive...
    Last edited by THildebrandt; 2019-08-23 at 07:59.

So...
    Ensured user squeezeboxserver had rights to the new cache dir...
    Stopped service, deleted old cachedir (but this time i left in the various directories - DownloadedPlugins, InstalledPlugins...) after copying everything to new cachedir, restarted service..
    Then when opening the server page i notice that it claims empty music library, and has started scanning for it again...

After scanning is completed old cache dir contains:
    Code:
    library.db
    library.db-shm
    library.db-wal
    Persist.db
    Persist.db-shm
    Persist.db-wal
    and new cachedir contains:
    Code:
    artwork.db
    cache.db
    cache.db-shm
    cache.db-wal
    cookies.dat
    extrastrings.json
    imgproxy.db
    imgproxy.db-shm
    imgproxy.db-wal
    infobrowser.opml
    infobrowser.opml.backup
    library.db
    persist.db
    plugin-data.yaml
    stringcache.x86_64-linux.bin
    First rescan the two library.db timestamps match, persist.db timestamps does not match (offset by one minute)... library.db & persist.db sizes in the two directories doesn't match...
    I then removed some of the music, initiated antother rescan with same result apart from identical timestamps of the library.db files and of the persist.db files... Again files were not identical...

Mystified - the scanning creates library.db and persist.db in both (the old and the new) cache directories?? And theyre not just identical copies??

Server appears to work despite all this... remote players plays music without problems...

scanner.log and (abbreviated) server.log attached....
    Attached Files Attached Files

At the moment the server runs, scanning without problems... the only 'problem' is that for some reason sqllite db are created on the old AND the new cache dir...

Any ideas why this happens??? Obviously i would prefer that only the new cachedir is used...

Thx...