Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have 2 of the HC1 and I have used them with SSDs from SanDisk, Kingston and Silicon Power. No problems with any discs or the SATA controllers.

I initially tried moving the rootfs to SSD using DietPi, but it did not work for some reason. I ended up putting Ubuntu 18.04 on the microSD and moving it to the SSD manually.
    This video was helpful, though I only needed parts of it, since I partitioned the drive using my desktop PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdBFpEzwM0
    Last edited by Pale Blue Ego; 2019-08-01 at 17:48.

In DietPi, I installed gdisk and used that to partition the SSD the way I wanted it - roughly following this guide: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=44177

After that I ran dietpi-drive_manager to set up mount points and copy the rootfs over from the SD card. It was easier than I expected.

The real test will come next week when my 2TB SSDs arrive and I have to do it all over again and copy over all the music.

Steve

Edit: Can now confirm that - like the 860 EVOs - the Samsung 860 QVO SSDs don't work on the HC1 using DietPi.

I purchased a couple of Seagate Barracuda 2TB SSDs and they are working well. Absolutely can recommend the HC1 if you want a tiny power efficient and fast server for LMS.
    Last edited by Steve Agnew; 2019-08-08 at 16:50. Reason: New information

My HC1 server is working perfectly. Uptime is 35 days and I expect it to be many years unless we have a hurricane. I installed and configured Samba on the HC1 so Windows and Linux desktops can mount the music drive for local playback. Now the system uses about 275mb of RAM.

I was wondering about something...a completely different question. Suppose I lost my router and LAN. Or suppose I was on backup power and could only power a few things. Couldn't I just take the HC1/LMS and run an ethernet cable right to a SB Boom? Would the Boom find the server without having some kind of DHCP in play?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Blue Ego View Post
    My HC1 server is working perfectly. Uptime is 35 days and I expect it to be many years unless we have a hurricane. I installed and configured Samba on the HC1 so Windows and Linux desktops can mount the music drive for local playback. Now the system uses about 275mb of RAM.

I was wondering about something...a completely different question. Suppose I lost my router and LAN. Or suppose I was on backup power and could only power a few things. Couldn't I just take the HC1/LMS and run an ethernet cable right to a SB Boom? Would the Boom find the server without having some kind of DHCP in play?
    Not really, it would necessitate:
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

I've just migrated my LMS server from a RPI 3B+ to an Odroid HC-2. As expected, it's significantly faster.
    While there are benchmarks on the official site, I was interested in how much faster LMS is on this server, so I ran a LMS benchmark.

Software on the RPI and GC-2 is nearly identical (HC-2 has a newer perl (5.28 vs. 5.26) and SQLite (3.29 vs.3.22))

LMS benchmark (in seconds, lower is better):
    RPI 3: 20.861
    Odroid HC-2 (slow cores): 18.494
    Odroid HC-2 (fast cores): 5.581

LMS+TrackStat benchmark (in seconds, lower is better):
    RPI 3: 37.679
    Odroid HC-2 (slow cores): 39.931
    Odroid HC-2 (fast cores): 14.711
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...