Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

album replaygain for multi-disc albums

I noticed a slight oddity, and am wondering how to best handle it.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed; I tried a few searches, but didn't see anything obvious.

I rip albums to single-FLAC-file plus CUE file. I also use DISCNUMBER & DISCTOTAL/TOTALDISCS tags, so that multi-disc albums show up as a single album in LMS, with tracks 1-1 to n-m, where n is the number of discs, and m the last track on the last disc.

I end up with a file structure like:

album/CD1/file.flac
    album/CD1/file.cue
    album/CD2/file.flac
    album/CD2/file.cue

[I don't do this manually; I use XLD on Mac]

So there are multiple CUE files for each album, one for each CD. Each CUE file has a single REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN value. Generally the value for this is different for each CD in the album (as much as 1dB).

When LMS scans the files, it seems to use the REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN from the last CUE file read for that album, as the single gain for the whole album, regardless of which value is greater.

[There are no embedded gain tags in the flac file's VORBIS_COMMENT section; all gain values are in the CUE files]

I'm not saying this is a bug, but I'm not sure it's ideal, either. One annoyance is that if the last CD in the album is quieter, that gain value is applied to all the CDs in the album, and you get a fright when the first is too loud.

It might be nicer if LMS would take the largest of the REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN values it obtains, for a multi-file set, and use that as the album gain? That would at least avoid the first CD being played louder than I'd like, when the second CD has a lower gain value.

Or, perhaps even better, use a different "album" gain value depending on which track in the album is being played? Although that wouldn't make sense in random-order play, but could perhaps be done only when playing the album in normal track order. e.g. the applied gain would be the same for tracks 1-1 to 1-n, but then change to the next value for tracks 2-1 to 2-n, etc.

Thoughts?

thanks very muchů

is it possible to edit the CUE files to have them all use the same ALBUM RG value. I don't use CUE files, but with any multidisk CDs, ripped to FLAC files, after ripping all the disks, I redo the RG values using dbpa batch conversion and RG DSP, treating all the disks as coming from the same album. (Many of these are live shows and it makes sense to have the same RG value being applied throughout all the disks).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    is it possible to edit the CUE files to have them all use the same ALBUM RG value. I don't use CUE files, but with any multidisk CDs, ripped to FLAC files, after ripping all the disks, I redo the RG values using dbpa batch conversion and RG DSP, treating all the disks as coming from the same album. (Many of these are live shows and it makes sense to have the same RG value being applied throughout all the disks).
    Yes, that's an excellent point, thanks Gary, I ought to do that.

album RG is meant to be a per disc setting. the relative differences are maintained between tracks per mastered disc. there are no artist or engineer intended differences between track volumes of tracks on one disc, and an entirely separate other disc.
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations