Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

podcasts just stop at random

Hi there all, as the title says, I regularly listen to BBC streamed podcasts, trouble is it will just stop at random, maybe after 50mins or only 7mins. Pressing play again the stream starts from the beginning again, and I must jump through to roughly where it stopped.
    any ideas anyone..!!
    cheers CD

Some extra info might help - for example:
    What version of LMS are you running (and on which OS)?
    Which player are you using (e.g. SB3, Touch)
    What do the LMS logs show?
    How are you accessing the podcast (menu route)?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

This behaviour as been noticed many times before but there can be a variety of reason

- podcast server not "liking" a connection kept open for long duration - podcast were intended to be downloaded and some server don't like streaming them as a TCP connection is kept open for a long time with no traffic.
    - local ISP / CDN issue
    - hardware
    - duration mismatch between podcast feed and actual podcast

Most time no single / good solution was found as problem is often not reproducible but provide more details such as specific program being played, how is it "found", LMS version, player type, uk/nonuk, etc.

As a workaround if using LMS and only for BBC - use BBCiplayer to play BBC "listen-Again" programs.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-Halting-Error
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...d-of-streaming
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...upposed-to-end
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-a-few-minutes

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Most time no single / good solution was found as problem is often not reproducible but provide more details such as specific program being played, how is it "found", LMS version, player type, uk/nonuk, etc.
    I reproduce it (=streams stops one to two minutes too early) every time I listen to CNN's or MSNBC's podcasts.
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    I reproduce it (=streams stops one to two minutes too early) every time I listen to CNN's or MSNBC's podcasts.
    Didn't we find that there was mismatch between the file header and the file duration so not a LMS problem ?

This users problem is that podcast stop randomly at any point int the podcast.

Didn't we find that there was mismatch between the file header and the file duration so not a LMS problem ?
    Yes. But it's reproducible.

But I do wonder why skipping back a few seconds maybe 10 minutes before the end helps. That shouldn't be the case, as duration and file header are the same as when the podcast started.
    QLMS 7.9.2@2.04 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by doobre View Post
    Hi there all, as the title says, I regularly listen to BBC streamed podcasts, trouble is it will just stop at random, maybe after 50mins or only 7mins. Pressing play again the stream starts from the beginning again, and I must jump through to roughly where it stopped.
    any ideas anyone..!!
    cheers CD
    What happens if you skip back a few seconds every five minutes? (Not a solution, I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by doobre View Post
    Any specific podcast ? And how are you accessing it ? I regularly listen to BBC Podcasts here in the UK, but cannot recall encountering this problem.

I have had it on some other podcasts, occasionally, and put it down to an annoying remote server hanging up on me, part way through.

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    Yes. But it's reproducible.

But I do wonder why skipping back a few seconds maybe 10 minutes before the end helps. That shouldn't be the case, as duration and file header are the same as when the podcast started.
    There are times depending on formats when remote streaming when duration changes between what is told by the file header and is delivered by the file audio contents (as file is streamed LMS doesn't get the most of the contents until after playing has started) - with BBC there are many podcast which have been revised after broadcast but the enclosure (xml) has the original duration which is used by LMS when starting but the file duration in the file contents is different (as it has been replaced) - which one should LMS choose ? the choice usually depends on the plugin writer.

To give you specific details on your issues I'd have to go back and look at the podcast and the code - but I think it wouldn't change anything since the current code is good for the vast majority - it's a quirk of the podcast creator.

If you want to revisit your issue - add to your original thread and leave this thread to solving the OP problem.

There are times depending on formats when remote streaming when duration changes between what is told by the file header and is delivered by the file audio contents (as file is streamed LMS doesn't get the most of the contents until after playing has started) - with BBC there are many podcast which have been revised after broadcast but the enclosure (xml) has the original duration which is used by LMS when starting but the file duration in the file contents is different (as it has been replaced) - which one should LMS choose ? the choice usually depends on the plugin writer.
    Not sure why CNN etc. would want to replace the content a day later (but I've seen that, too). But you're the expert, I trust your expertise.

If you want to revisit your issue - add to your original thread and leave this thread to solving the OP problem.
    Of course.