Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connecting a touch screen to a Squeezebox 3?

Thinking of what to do with my old SQB3.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to disassemble a squeezebox 3 and replace its original screen with a touch screen?

And then naturally place it all in a new enclosure. i.e do a rebuild.

For all intents and purposes, impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    For all intents and purposes, impossible.
    Ok, cheers for that. Any chance for a bit more detailed explanation of why not feasible?

Two main things: software and hardware.

Hardware, the CPU in the SB3 isn't equipped to drive a screen of that type.
    Software, a change on this scale would inevitably require changes to the software, both in the SB3 firmware and LMS. This firmware is not published so you'd have to start from scratch, provided you could get hold of the development tools for the type of CPU in the SB3.

If time and cost is not an issue, you'd still end up with a kludge.

Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    Ok, cheers for that. Any chance for a bit more detailed explanation of why not feasible?
    Its like asking why you can't turn a Fly into a Lion ! There are few common parts

The only way to do this is to buy a Squeezebox Touch and throw the SB3 away. Done !

Why do you want to do this ?
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    Two main things: software and hardware.

Hardware, the CPU in the SB3 isn't equipped to drive a screen of that type.
    Software, a change on this scale would inevitably require changes to the software, both in the SB3 firmware and LMS. This firmware is not published so you'd have to start from scratch, provided you could get hold of the development tools for the type of CPU in the SB3.

If time and cost is not an issue, you'd still end up with a kludge.
    Thanks for a constructive answer! I was thinking there would probably be no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Its like asking why you can't turn a Fly into a Lion ! There are few common parts

The only way to do this is to buy a Squeezebox Touch and throw the SB3 away. Done !

Why do you want to do this ?
    Just curious. And thanks to alfista, now I don't "want to do this".

And please there's no need to be arrogant, there's no stupid questions, there's only stupid answers. e.g. like yours ... thanks for nothing.

You could get a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen ... and use the Pi just as a control point for the SB3 (which you could hide if you really wanted to).
    You could also use the Pi as a player ... probably by adding a DAC board or USB).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    You could get a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen ... and use the Pi just as a control point for the SB3 (which you could hide if you really wanted to).
    You could also use the Pi as a player ... probably by adding a DAC board or USB).
    Yes I been considering the Pi path. Thanks for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    Yes I been considering the Pi path. Thanks for answering.
    The SB3 has a motherboard where there is the display, power, Ethernet and converters. Then there is a daughter board containing just the CPU (I donĺt think there is an Ethernet chip, but I would have to check) and on the daughter board there is a connector for the WiFi pci board. So, yes in theory you could replace the CPU daughterboard with something with WiFi and a stronger processor to drive a touchscreen. But none of the interfaces is documented and so that is a Titanĺs work.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5