Connecting a touch screen to a Squeezebox 3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doggod
    • May 2011

Connecting a touch screen to a Squeezebox 3?

Thinking of what to do with my old SQB3.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to disassemble a squeezebox 3 and replace its original screen with a touch screen?

And then naturally place it all in a new enclosure. i.e do a rebuild.
  • alfista
    • Aug 2009

For all intents and purposes, impossible.

Comment

• doggod
      • May 2011

Originally posted by alfista
      For all intents and purposes, impossible.
      Ok, cheers for that. Any chance for a bit more detailed explanation of why not feasible?

Comment

• alfista
        • Aug 2009

Two main things: software and hardware.

Hardware, the CPU in the SB3 isn't equipped to drive a screen of that type.
        Software, a change on this scale would inevitably require changes to the software, both in the SB3 firmware and LMS. This firmware is not published so you'd have to start from scratch, provided you could get hold of the development tools for the type of CPU in the SB3.

If time and cost is not an issue, you'd still end up with a kludge.

Comment

• Jeff07971
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by doggod
          Ok, cheers for that. Any chance for a bit more detailed explanation of why not feasible?
          Its like asking why you can't turn a Fly into a Lion ! There are few common parts

The only way to do this is to buy a Squeezebox Touch and throw the SB3 away. Done !

Why do you want to do this ?
          sigpic
          Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• doggod
            • May 2011

Originally posted by alfista
            Two main things: software and hardware.

Hardware, the CPU in the SB3 isn't equipped to drive a screen of that type.
            Software, a change on this scale would inevitably require changes to the software, both in the SB3 firmware and LMS. This firmware is not published so you'd have to start from scratch, provided you could get hold of the development tools for the type of CPU in the SB3.

If time and cost is not an issue, you'd still end up with a kludge.
            Thanks for a constructive answer! I was thinking there would probably be no chance.

Comment

• doggod
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Jeff07971
              Its like asking why you can't turn a Fly into a Lion ! There are few common parts

The only way to do this is to buy a Squeezebox Touch and throw the SB3 away. Done !

Why do you want to do this ?
              Just curious. And thanks to alfista, now I don't "want to do this".

And please there's no need to be arrogant, there's no stupid questions, there's only stupid answers. e.g. like yours ... thanks for nothing.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                • Apr 2005

You could get a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen ... and use the Pi just as a control point for the SB3 (which you could hide if you really wanted to).
                You could also use the Pi as a player ... probably by adding a DAC board or USB).
                Paul Webster
                Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• doggod
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                  You could get a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen ... and use the Pi just as a control point for the SB3 (which you could hide if you really wanted to).
                  You could also use the Pi as a player ... probably by adding a DAC board or USB).
                  Yes I been considering the Pi path. Thanks for answering.

Comment

• philippe_44
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by doggod
                    Yes I been considering the Pi path. Thanks for answering.
                    The SB3 has a motherboard where there is the display, power, Ethernet and converters. Then there is a daughter board containing just the CPU (I don’t think there is an Ethernet chip, but I would have to check) and on the daughter board there is a connector for the WiFi pci board. So, yes in theory you could replace the CPU daughterboard with something with WiFi and a stronger processor to drive a touchscreen. But none of the interfaces is documented and so that is a Titan’s work.
                    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• d6jg
                      • Feb 2011

Or you could do what I do.
                      I run the SB3 with screen always off and control it / have now playing on an adjacent o2 Joggle flashed the SqueezeOS - https://birdslikewires.net/squeezeplay (NB the SSL cert on this site is broken but it is OK)
                      Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
                      Dining Room SB Radio
                      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                      Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• doggod
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by d6jg
                        Or you could do what I do.
                        I run the SB3 with screen always off and control it / have now playing on an adjacent o2 Joggle flashed the SqueezeOS - https://birdslikewires.net/squeezeplay (NB the SSL cert on this site is broken but it is OK)
                        Thanks for answering but not what I'm looking for. If I want to control it with external device I can basically use anything these days, anything "portable" like android, ios e.t.c. Not concerned really, was just curious what might be possible DIY wise.

Comment

Working...