Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

error message attempting to stream flac file

Hi. I run LMS on an Ubuntu 18.04 media server. It works fine when I stream to my Squeezebox.

Sometimes I want to stream to a desktop/laptop using VLC. Playing MP3 files is never a problem.

Playing flac files never works.

I've posted at the VLC forum; but wanted to post here as well the result from the LMS server log file when attempting to stream to a remote VLC player. It goes like this:

Code:
    [19-07-13 12:02:31.9066] Slim::Player::Song::open (410) Error: Couldn't create command line for flc playback for [file:///mnt/MUSIC1.2/CDsAdded2019/CDsAddedJuly2019/David%20Crosby%20-%20Croz/11.%20Find%20A%20Heart%20-%20David%20Crosby%20-%20Croz.flac]
    ... again and again and again

The log/error messages from VLC are here: https://pastebin.com/GyyDwgZn

I tried this today on a Fedora 30 64-bit box running VLC 3.0.7.1 Vetinari trying to stream music from an Ubuntu media server 18.04 running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1556111457.

It doesn't matter if I upgrade the LMS; this problem has been ongoing for more than a year.

I've asked the VLC people repeatedly and I mean REPEATEDLY if it's even possible to stream more than one file type (mp3 vs flac vs ogg etc) because, as far as I know, it's necessary to add the type of file you want to stream to the request entered into the VLC network streaming section.

So, something like, http://192.168.1.1:9000/stream.mp3

or

http://192.168.1.1:9000/stream.ogg

I asked if there is a *universal* command/string I could put here (ending in say stream.* or something) but ...

I can't get them to answer this simple question.

Because, really, I don't know if what I want to do is possible. And, if not, I'd really rather not waste everyone's time.

Thanks. Sorry for the mini-rant.

error message attempting to stream flac file

Do you have "lame" installed on your LMS server system?

I think that LMS is usually configured to use it to convert flac to mp3 if required.

From LMS web interface ... Settings/Advanced/File types

You will probably see flac -> mp3 as disabled ... and that might change if lame is installed (not sure).
    If not then you might have to edit/create a custom convert file.
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2019-07-13 at 10:15.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Are you wed to using VLC? It's a great video player, but a crappy music player. Why not use Squeezelite instead?

correct you are

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

I think that LMS is usually configured to use it to convert flac to mp3 if required.

You will probably see flac -> mp3 as disabled ... and that might change if lame is installed (not sure).
    You're right - it's greyed out. Installing lame on Ubuntu Media Server 18.04 is not so simple - not as simple as

Code:
    apt-get install lame
    I keep searching for the "how to".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

Well, hallelujah. I found the flac package here for Ubuntu

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/lame/download

and after installing, restarting LMS and a few missteps - I am streaming FLAC files on VLC (I had to use a url that ended with /stream.mp3 but even so)

Thank you SO MUCH.

Attached is a screenshot of the "file types" page showing FLAC will still be played as FLAC when it can be (NATIVE) -- ??

and converted via lame to mp3 when flac can't be played.

I assume this means my Squeezebox will still play the flac files as flac files - but I don't know. Yes, no? I assume LMS does the conversion so will it know not to convert the flac files when I play via the Squeebox?

Thanks again and sorry for being so wordy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine_24 View Post
    Well, hallelujah. I found the flac package here for Ubuntu

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd64/lame/download

and after installing, restarting LMS and a few missteps - I am streaming FLAC files on VLC (I had to use a url that ended with /stream.mp3 but even so)

Thank you SO MUCH.

Attached is a screenshot of the "file types" page showing FLAC will still be played as FLAC when it can be (NATIVE) -- ??

and converted via lame to mp3 when flac can't be played.

I assume this means my Squeezebox will still play the flac files as flac files - but I don't know. Yes, no? I assume LMS does the conversion so will it know not to convert the flac files when I play via the Squeebox?

Thanks again and sorry for being so wordy.
    No. stream.mp3 is mp3
    The file types is used in conjunction with the info provided to LMS by the player hardware.
    Original SB devices only ever played mp3
    Later SB devices added other formats so it was necessary for the player to tell LMS what it can decode. LMS will then obey file types and transcode if not supported.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng